2020 Group Draw

kenny131

43 minutes ago, South Lanarkshire Jag said:

Fixtures announced. 

Fixtures.jpg

First reaction is that Kazakhstan (A) to start has all the hallmarks of our usual "drop 2pts early-doors but write it off as it's still all to play for"?!

Cyprus (H) and Belgium (A) in June could be worse: I think the major issue is usually lots of our players not having played since early May (e.g. English lower levels), but in that respect Cyprus at Hampden is a lot less of a banana skin than if it was away. Absolutely massive 3 games in September and early October for obvious reasons. Then the usual ominous finish with a sticky tie in Cyprus. It could certainly be better, it could certainly be worse.

I must say that having to start AA is pretty dubious IMO, it should be like CL/EL where you begin with 1 H + 1 A and finish similarly. However it being to the 2 weakest sides is a help.

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Tarmo Kink said:

Not quite buying the Kazakhstan away worries. They were in a group with Georgia, Latvia and Andorra in the Nations League and won one game, against Andorra. We should have a comfortable 9 points before the hard 4 games. If we want to qualify for the Euros we need to be beating Kazakhstan & Cyprus home and away.

On the other hand they went undefeated except v Georgia. Earlier in the year they humped Azerbaijan, won in Hungary and lost by the odd goal in Bulgaria.

We have plenty previous v similar:

Euro 2004 ... Lithuania 1-0 Scotland
WC 2006 ... Moldova 1-1 Scotland
Euro 2008 ... Georgia 2-0 Scotland
WC 2010 ... FYR Macedonia 1-0 Scotland
Euro 2012 ... Lithuania 0-0 Scotland
WC 2014 ... Wales 2-1 Scotland
Euro 2016 ... Georgia 1-0 Scotland
WC 2018 ... Lithuania 1-1 Scotland

11 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

It's a few years ago now but did we not only beat them 2-1 over there in a friendly?

Not sure that was even in 'hot' period.

Tbf most of the 6 had been rejected for not meeting criteria in one form or another, so arguably shouldn't have expected to receive games whatever happened; although in some cases the bar would have been set with reference to the strength of the other bids.

However we pipped the Millennium Stadium to the 13th and final place by 22 votes to 21, with Stockholm behind that on 18, so it was rather harsh on them to give 4 more games to Wembley rather than award it to Cardiff or have a vote between Cardiff and Stockholm.

It was really shitty for Cardiff both times. They have a better stadium and are a much better place to visit for a game than most of the hosts chosen, and unlike London, Munich, Rome, St Petersburg, Bilbao and Amsterdam, they're never going to host a major tournament any other way. I can only assume what held them back was geography, with London, Glasgow and Dublin bidding too. I'd have put them first of the four, and certainly ahead of Glasgow and Dublin.

We should find out if its Alamaty or Astana by the 7th of December for the Kazakstahn away game so ill hold off until a destination is confirmed but i have routes sorted for both which gets me back in time to go up the hill in San Marino for the cheap lemoncillo day oot.If anybodys not been there you will need to stay in Rimini

4 hours ago, GordonS said:

It was really shitty for Cardiff both times. They have a better stadium and are a much better place to visit for a game than most of the hosts chosen, and unlike London, Munich, Rome, St Petersburg, Bilbao and Amsterdam, they're never going to host a major tournament any other way. I can only assume what held them back was geography, with London, Glasgow and Dublin bidding too. I'd have put them first of the four, and certainly ahead of Glasgow and Dublin.

Image result for traitor gif

But you're right.  It is pretty poor that one of the better stadiums in the country can't get a game.  It's great that we've got it, but there isn't much that comes close to the sort of set-up that they have in Cardiff.  Would be a wonderful place to hold a tournament game.

As for the group itself, for once I don't think we can really have any complaints.  If it was a World Cup group, I wouldn't be as happy - as Belgium should beat this group like a red-headed step-child - but as it stands it's basically down to us to win a two-legged tie with Russia, and not f**k up any of the "easier" games.  I don't think there's anything to fear from Cyprus, Kazakhstan or San Marino, and we should be able to get full points.  It'll almost certainly not be as simple as that, but we'll see.

21 hours ago, QwaarJet said:

Why don't you think we can beat them at Hampden?

I didn't say we couldn't, I was questioning why people are so confident we could.

16 hours ago, Spikethedee said:

I would expect Scotland to take full points from SM & Kazakhstan, nothing from Belgium, beat Cyprus at Hampden and lose to them out there, so it all hinges on games against Russia. Decent chance, but will probably be looking to beat Finland in the play-offs, I imagine...

We need to be getting 9 points from the first three games to have a chance. None of this 'a point away is a good result' stuff.

Was looking at San Marino away and Cyprus away. Need to forget the first one, I am flying to Australia a couple of days before it, but Cyprus being on a Saturday should make it easy enough to get there without taking time off work, which is nice.

14 hours ago, South Lanarkshire Jag said:

Fixtures announced. 

Fixtures.jpg

First thoughts are that they couldn't have hand picked a better draw.  Start with 9 points and end with 9 points.   Goals fests against San Marino and Kazakhstan could bump the goal difference at the tail end of the campaign.  Of course, if McLeish contrives to lose the first game, the whole campaign is accordingly fucked.

6 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

First thoughts are that they couldn't have hand picked a better draw.  Start with 9 points and end with 9 points.   Goals fests against San Marino and Kazakhstan could bump the goal difference at the tail end of the campaign.  Of course, if McLeish contrives to lose the first game, the whole campaign is accordingly fucked.

He taking on Kazakhstan himself, like?

He could throw out a random 11 and I'd still expect the players to have enough about them to win that match.

5 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

He taking on Kazakhstan himself, like?

He could throw out a random 11 and I'd still expect the players to have enough about them to win that match.

I'd have said the same about Israel away,

Come the next Nations League, all 3 of our lower ranked opponents will be playing in the bottom tier of the Nations League.  Cyprus just got relegated (albeit as the worst 3rd placed rather than straight bottom), Kazakhstan couldn't even top a group of diddies, and San Marino got a scheme booting in every one of their 6 games against similar diddies.  We shouldn't have anything to fear from them.

I see Russia just missed out on going up to the top tier though, edged out by Sweden on head-to-head.  Only those two and Turkey in the group though, so not as if they've beaten any great teams.  They're who we need to be concentrating on, not looking over our shoulders in a "wha's like us?!" exercise.

8 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

I'd have said the same about Israel away,

I think Kazakhstan are a level below Israel. If we are competent we'll win and since we've reverted back to a back 4 we've looked good. I really don't think Kazakhstan or Cyprus will cause us any issues.  It really is down to the Russia games and we have nothing to fear there, their reputation of being a difficult match isn't equal to the actual threat they pose IMO.

13 minutes ago, Consolidate said:

And several others before that. At least we'll know where we stand early on. Anything less than a win and we'll be relying on the playoffs.

Anything less than a win in the very first game of 10, and we have no chance of qualifying directly?  :blink:

Archived