The F1 Thread

die hard doonhamer

2.thumb.jpg.797006eecdc420333189dd7b7c764959.jpg

So looks like Sainz drops down to sixth, with Norris and Alonso moving up to fourth and fifth respectively.  Hamilton swaps places with Russell, Gasly and Stroll swap positions for the last places in 9th and 10.  All others outside the top 10.

Also, special congratulations goes to Ocon here....

I only started following F1 this year so have very limited understanding but I thought it was fucking mental Verstappen did a pit stop on the last lap, of course it worked for the fastest lap and you've gotta give him points for it but is that common to do that stuff, I'm surprised it's not a big talking point but there's probably some context I'm missing. 

31 minutes ago, RuMoore said:

I only started following F1 this year so have very limited understanding but I thought it was fucking mental Verstappen did a pit stop on the last lap, of course it worked for the fastest lap and you've gotta give him points for it but is that common to do that stuff, I'm surprised it's not a big talking point but there's probably some context I'm missing. 

Verstappen is essentially racing in his own class this year, even if he had fallen into second it would've had very little impact on his season. Not a chance they would've risked it if any other team had a car close to challenging in the championship. 

Taking fastest lap from Perez like that is essentially a fcuk you for challenging him in the sprint.

12 minutes ago, Iminavest said:

Taking fastest lap from Perez like that is essentially a fcuk you for challenging him in the sprint.

I’m not sure it’s even related to the sprint, he’s asked for, and be given the opportunity for fasted lap a few times already this season despite Perez being the holder.  The days of ‘checo is a legend’ are long gone and tbh I think the team have fallen behind their number 1 driver now a driver split is clear. Perez will be away from red bull the moment his contract expires.

It was actually an enjoyable race. I mean, you now just discount Verstappen - he's won the race and title. Just enjoy the shenanigans behind him. 

"He's intimidating me" - even David Croft was taking the piss at that. It's his job to intimidate you, chump. 

But "Crofty" mixing up cars all the time is getting annoying. "There's Gasly and Albon fighting over 11th" - we, no. That was Ocon. 

I will caveat this by saying I didn't watch this race, but taking Ocon in isolation how is it fair to retrospectively hand him a 30s penalty if he wasn't being warned during the race? I doubt he'd exceed track limits 4+ times let alone 10+ times had be been showm a black and white flag after 3.

Secondly, if they seriously want to stamp it out, then the penalties need to be more severe i.e. 1 = warning, 2 = black and white flag, 3 = 10s penalty, 4 = DSQ

14 hours ago, parsforlife said:

I’m not sure it’s even related to the sprint, he’s asked for, and be given the opportunity for fasted lap a few times already this season despite Perez being the holder.  The days of ‘checo is a legend’ are long gone and tbh I think the team have fallen behind their number 1 driver now a driver split is clear. Perez will be away from red bull the moment his contract expires.

I would love to see Tsunoda given a go in the second seat, given his calm and measured approach to radio communication during the race.

“Of course, it is a concern, because it is a stupid thing to do to put your life in danger with cars driving around,” Norris said. “It is also a very selfish thing to do because of the consequences it could have on the person that drives the car.

Well that'll be Silverstone protestors about climate collapse/fossil fuels telt, now that a multimillionaire car driver, cutting around with a name like fucking Lando, has given them a lecture on not being selfish

4 hours ago, virginton said:

Well that'll be Silverstone protestors about climate collapse/fossil fuels telt, now that a multimillionaire car driver, cutting around with a name like fucking Lando, has given them a lecture on not being selfish

Last year there was a first corner smash that red-flagged the race. Had that not happened, the cars would have come battering round the circuit and turned the protesters into hamburgers. Maybe this year they'll do it. 

Of all sports, this is the one that the Just Stop Oil toddlers will be desperate to disrupt. 

Fair point, though - they'll pay no attention to Norris's words.

JSO would like nothing more than a fatality, it would be absolute Christmas for them. 

I find them hard to understand tbh, broadly agree with their outlook but going about it all the wrong way. 

Plus, lets be honest, they're the only chance of some drama on sunday.