The F1 Thread

die hard doonhamer

15 minutes ago, V.Aye.R said:

Aye, and likely offered him half what mclaren did. What's your point? 

Red Bull have been after Lando Norris for some time.

Last time Red Bull had talks with Lando Norris as his contract with McLaren ran out at the end of last year but yet decided to stay at McLaren. Did he really lack options? My point is Norris is happy to continue with McLaren and develop the car and himself with the team at the moment.

The rest of the season and next year might determine whether this was a worthwhile decision and whether or not it would be better to stay or go somewhere else. He's still a young driver with time on his side.

10 hours ago, V.Aye.R said:

He isn't a team player though. The slightest threat would have him playing up. 

Absolutely. You only need to look at his carry on with Perez and fastest laps earlier this year.

Tbh, I like it

4 hours ago, approximately dave said:

Red Bull have been after Lando Norris for some time

Well, in theory, but reported salaries as below

Perez 10m

Norris 20m

So that's not true really eh? If he was so rated, red bull would pay a no.2 driver 1/3rd what Verstappen is getting. 

7 hours ago, V.Aye.R said:

Well, in theory, but reported salaries as below

Perez 10m

Norris 20m

So that's not true really eh? If he was so rated, red bull would pay a no.2 driver 1/3rd what Verstappen is getting. 

In theory?? Have you been paying attention over the last year and since the Silverstone weekend especially? 🤨😆

What makes you automatically believe that Norris was offered the same as Perez and a role as number two in the team? Do Red Bull value the strongest current young driver the same as Perez? Incredible. 🙄😆

Did you know what Red Bull offered Norris to part from McLaren back in....... when was it November? No guessing now.

Red Bull did approach Norris back in November - true and his manager was seen in deep conversation with Marko in the Red Bull motorhome - true. Its assumed that part of that conversation would have been about Norris, maybe also about another driver that Berryman manages who's is part of the RB drivers program.

Helmut Marko has also said this -

Marko acknowledged this to Kleine Zeitung.

“He has a contract with McLaren until 2025, but he is by far the strongest of the young drivers. His youthful nature would also suit him best to Red Bull,” he said.

“And it’s no secret that Max and he are good friends.”

So what part of what Marko said is not true? Did Red Bull not approach Lando Norris last year? Did Marko and Berryman not have a meeting?

I believe Norris would be a good fit at Red Bull, Marko might be correct, but if Norris already has a team built around him and they continue their upward journey there is no reason Norris can help McLaren back up to the top and win races, they managed it before in the 90's post Senna, they achieve it again.

22 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Norris and Russell (and probably Leclerc) would be winning as much as Verstappen if they had that car. Verstappen is signed until 2028 and has frequently said he doesn't know if he'll stay in F1 past that given how long the calendar is, how little interest he has in the media stuff surrounding the sport and his desire to do other things. It would be very remiss of Red Bull to not attempt to have a plan in place for staying at the top.

Probably LeClerc? Are you saying Norris and Russell are better than him?

Just now, The Golden God said:

Probably LeClerc? Are you saying Norris and Russell are better than him?

I think they've been in better situations than he has for the past ~3 years and I don't know how that's affected him. Every year I feel like he should be kicking on and challenging at the front, and it doesn't happen. When something does go wrong he seems to take it worse than the other two, but that could just be because it happens to him way more often. 

He absolutely is as good as or better than those two but I'm just worried about how much Ferrari are affecting him by being so terrible.

15 hours ago, approximately dave said:

In theory?? Have you been paying attention over the last year and since the Silverstone weekend especially? 🤨😆

What makes you automatically believe that Norris was offered the same as Perez and a role as number two in the team? Do Red Bull value the strongest current young driver the same as Perez? Incredible. 🙄😆

Did you know what Red Bull offered Norris to part from McLaren back in....... when was it November? No guessing now.

Red Bull did approach Norris back in November - true and his manager was seen in deep conversation with Marko in the Red Bull motorhome - true. Its assumed that part of that conversation would have been about Norris, maybe also about another driver that Berryman manages who's is part of the RB drivers program.

Helmut Marko has also said this -

Marko acknowledged this to Kleine Zeitung.

“He has a contract with McLaren until 2025, but he is by far the strongest of the young drivers. His youthful nature would also suit him best to Red Bull,” he said.

“And it’s no secret that Max and he are good friends.”

So what part of what Marko said is not true? Did Red Bull not approach Lando Norris last year? Did Marko and Berryman not have a meeting?

I believe Norris would be a good fit at Red Bull, Marko might be correct, but if Norris already has a team built around him and they continue their upward journey there is no reason Norris can help McLaren back up to the top and win races, they managed it before in the 90's post Senna, they achieve it again.

All this is fantastic knowledge. 

I don't see anything that explains why norris didn't just take the money and no. 1 seat at McLaren versus an obedient, underpaid, role at RB. 

12 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

If that's the state he gets in when losing a computer game, then you can understand why Marko and Horner seem to have little interest in having a competitive second driver in the team.

TBF, that's the most normal he's ever seemed.

I would 100% have been doing the same

13 hours ago, V.Aye.R said:

All this is fantastic knowledge. 

I don't see anything that explains why norris didn't just take the money and no. 1 seat at McLaren versus an obedient, underpaid, role at RB. 

Why? This is about what is happening now and much is changing since back in November and I don't think its relevant other than RBR are still trying to bring Lando Norris to the team. Red Bull Racing are under new ownership and their new CEO Oliver Mintzlaff has spoken about wanting two top drivers in the team and Liberty Media are pushing for it.

If the owner of the team wants two top drivers, Horner and Marko (if he stays) plus Verstappen will have to go along with it. Nothing stays the same for long m8 especially in this sport.

Edited by approximately dave

13 hours ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

If that's the state he gets in when losing a computer game, then you can understand why Marko and Horner seem to have little interest in having a competitive second driver in the team.

Quite the over-reaction to someone punting someone off in a video game.

This growing power struggle over the F1 teams not allowing a another new team onto the grid concerning dilution of the huge prize money pot and the $200m entry fee which existing teams claim is too low can't be good. F1 itself (FIA) wants more teams and it would be healthy for the sport if new teams entered especially those whom are well backed and would add to the sport at this level. Seems the only way to enter F1 now is to wait until an existing F1 team goes up for sale and or buy into that like the merger deal Audi have made with Sauber.

This comes as Andretti Autosport now with backing from General Motors brand Cadillac are looking to enter a team in 2025 which has the approval of FIA President Mohammed Ben Sulayem but not from the teams, Toto Wolff especially has been outspoken about not allowing new teams to come in which increase the grid size.

The current Concorde agreement allows up to 13 teams onto the gid. I have read that there are two other teams whom are looking to enter in 2025/26/27, Hitech from F2 and a team set up by Craig Pollock called Formula Equal Racing.

7 hours ago, approximately dave said:

This growing power struggle over the F1 teams not allowing a another new team onto the grid concerning dilution of the huge prize money pot and the $200m entry fee which existing teams claim is too low can't be good. F1 itself (FIA) wants more teams and it would be healthy for the sport if new teams entered especially those whom are well backed and would add to the sport at this level. Seems the only way to enter F1 now is to wait until an existing F1 team goes up for sale and or buy into that like the merger deal Audi have made with Sauber.

This comes as Andretti Autosport now with backing from General Motors brand Cadillac are looking to enter a team in 2025 which has the approval of FIA President Mohammed Ben Sulayem but not from the teams, Toto Wolff especially has been outspoken about not allowing new teams to come in which increase the grid size.

The current Concorde agreement allows up to 13 teams onto the gid. I have read that there are two other teams whom are looking to enter in 2025/26/27, Hitech from F2 and a team set up by Craig Pollock called Formula Equal Racing.

Whilst I understand the thrust of what you're saying, the key issues are outlined here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/64210632