Completing the 42

Guest Jedi

How many folk have been to all 42 top flight stadiums? Just one to go,.. Dumbarton (had been to the old Boghead), but not the new one. Used to be a 'club' years ago I think for the (then )38, but long defunct. Seems to be a bigger deal in England, with the 92, obviously over double the grounds but they have the official register of those who have completed it. Also a 100 grounds group...have always thought 100 would take quite some time to reach.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hibernian (Bizarrely)
Ayr United
ICT
Morton
East Fife
Stranraer
Dumbarton
Stenhousemuir
Edinburgh City
Peterhead
Elgin City
Annan
Berwick
Albion Rovers

28/42 for me. Slightly disappointed after tallying that, thought I'd been to more grounds than I have.

I've done most of the Scottish League (just ICT to do, although I visited Ross County when they were Highland League) but I'll never do the 42 as I'm boycotting one ground. I've done a lot of defunct grounds- Douglas Park, Bayview, Kilbowie, Muirton, Broomfield, Boghead, Love Street, Firs Park, Meadowbank (:bairn). 

I had done all the Juniors grounds in the Lothians and all of the East of Scotland League but now need to visit Inverkeithing and Dundonald. I've also done all the Lowland League.  I've been to quite a few West Juniors grounds, 5 South of Scotland grounds (including the now defunct Tarff Rovers), a few Tayside Juniors grounds, one or two Juniors grounds in the Aberdeen area and Keith, Inverurie Locos, Brora and Allan Park in the Highland League plus Golspie Sutherland.  I also saw Glasgow Uni play Spartans in the Scottish Cup at their old Westerlands Ground. 

Adding in various English grounds I've been to I've done over 200. Which is sad. 

5c1edd389637b_grangemouthstadium7.thumb.jpg.66143d7ee724f159cfc06e45e1077e46.jpg

Grangemouth Stadium. A flower of Scotland occasionally used for football over the years (the defunct Falkirk Juniors v Dunbar United in this case)

8 hours ago, JamieThomas said:

Dutch lad I know Joris did it, and decided it was so good he'd stay.

https://twitter.com/doingthe116?lang=en

Done about every single senior/junior ground now too. Top man.

I know Joris he’s a good lad. Bumped into him at various grounds. 

I’ve to 41/42. Never been to Stranraer really need to go it’s been the last one I’ve needed for years. 

There was another I put something of a list up on but been to over 400 grounds in total. 

I used to be up in the high 30s but there are a few new stadia that I've never been to.

St Mirren

Montrose
Forfar
Stranraer
Dumbarton

Edinburgh City
Peterhead
Elgin
Annan

Everybody likes visiting new grounds, but some of these groundhoppers are OFTW. Especially the c***s who come up from England with their wee rucksacks and their notebooks and SLRs and train timetables, and never visit anywhere twice, and talk all the way through the game, and start greeting if they don't get a programme :whistle I also don't like people saying they've 'done' a ground, as if they don't expect to go back.

I've been to just over 250 though, 200 in Scotland, so I have to get my excuses in. I was first taken to a game in 1966 so I've been around a bit :lol: I followed ICT up through the 4 divisions, and I saw Caley quite a lot in the Highland League.  I'd rather watch ICT (about 450 so far) or Whitehill (about 250 so far) but I'm partial to a wee jaunt now and again ;)

So I've been to:

SPFL - all

Lowland League - all

Highland League - 16/18

EOSL - 36/39

West Premier - 10/12 since Cambuslang and Renfrew got promoted, need to go there.

Plus various other Juniors and demolished seniors such as Muirton, Kilbowie etc.

10 hours ago, tamthebam said:

I've done most of the Scottish League (just ICT to do, although I visited Ross County when they were Highland League) but I'll never do the 42 as I'm boycotting one ground. I've done a lot of defunct grounds- Douglas Park, Bayview, Kilbowie, Muirton, Broomfield, Boghead, Love Street, Firs Park, Meadowbank (:bairn). 

I had done all the Juniors grounds in the Lothians and all of the East of Scotland League but now need to visit Inverkeithing and Dundonald. I've also done all the Lowland League.  I've been to quite a few West Juniors grounds, 5 South of Scotland grounds (including the now defunct Tarff Rovers), a few Tayside Juniors grounds, one or two Juniors grounds in the Aberdeen area and Keith, Inverurie Locos, Brora and Allan Park in the Highland League plus Golspie Sutherland.  I also saw Glasgow Uni play Spartans in the Scottish Cup at their old Westerlands Ground. 

Adding in various English grounds I've been to I've done over 200. Which is sad. 

5c1edd389637b_grangemouthstadium7.thumb.jpg.66143d7ee724f159cfc06e45e1077e46.jpg

Grangemouth Stadium. A flower of Scotland occasionally used for football over the years (the defunct Falkirk Juniors v Dunbar United in this case)

My folks live about 2 mins from Grangemouth stadium and I’ve played in and won a cup final there. Cheers for posting that picture mate.

I've done 31. It was 32 until Edinburgh City moved from Meadowbank :( Missing are:

Spoiler

League One 

• Arbroath 
  • Brechin
  • East Fife
  • Forfar
  • Montrose
  • Stenhousemuir 
  • Stranraer

League Two

• Edinburgh City
  • Elgin
  • Peterhead
  • Stirling Albion

Love Street and Meadowbank are the only defunct ones I've been to. 

Hearts
Dundee Utd, Falkirk, ICT
Forfar, Raith
Edinburgh (never went to Meadowbank either), Elgin

Just the above ones to go. Planned going to go to Scotland v England u21s at Tynecastle in October but couldn't make it in the end.

Of defunct grounds only been to Love Street. Not strictly defunct but Raydale when Gretna were in the leagues too.

Only not been to Annan and Spartans/Edinburgh City. Missed Grentna when they were in the pro ranks though. Cathkin and Shawfield were before my time (Clyde moved out the season before I started going to games in earnest rather than just the odd game or two) but I've been to all the other old classic grounds (Boghead, Kilbowie, Broomfield, Douglas Park, Brockville, Firs Park, Muirton, Bayview, Meadowbank and Annfield) although I never got to see Caledonian Thistle (as they were at the time) play at Telford Street.

Of the old grounds have been to: Love St, Boghead, Kilbowie, Broomfield, Douglas Park, Brockville, Firs Park, , Bayview, Meadowbank, never made it to either Muirton or Shawfield either. Been to a few local grounds in the Edinburgh area as well for Lowland League and East of Scotland. Really need to get to Dumbarton soon (hopefully during the winter break) to finally complete the 42.

In addition have been to a fair few ground in N.Ireland, in England only Anfield and Carrow Rd.

Would still be good if there was a Scottish version of the 92 club right enough.

Following East Fife, the only grounds I've still to go to are:
Celtic Park
Motherwell
St. Mirren
Inverness
Although I've obviously been to Parkhead for Scotland games and I was at Love St. a few times, but we've never played them away since they moved!!!

Archived