Rangers V The Champions.

I think Aberdeen were fairly decent in Europe in the early 80's as were Dundee Utd.   Celtic average crowd 83/84 was 18k
In essence they are glory hunting c***s.

We won the league in 83/84 but we only got to the semi of the cup winners cup so the Celtic fans justifiably stayed at home.

• Replies 704
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m actually laughing at this.

The pigheaded refusal to acknowledge rangers impact on the life of a Celtic fan has led us to hearts and Aberdeen’s credentials in Europe being cited as a major factor in celtics attendances [emoji1]

2 hours ago, gannonball said:

As mentioned earlier season book sales were pretty stagnant until Rodgers was announced despite Rangers being promoted about month before his announcement, then it went mental with a waiting list which hadn't been seen since early MON days. So yes it is pretty unarguable. 

ETA- I'm not disputing the New Rangers were a pull for some, but Rodgers blew any pull of that out the water. We had gone from having Deila and signing cart horses like Carlton Cole to getting a household name in. Glory hunters perhaps yes but if we still had Deila or somebody like him season book demand wouldn't have increased anywhere near the rate that it is/was.

Sure. Attendances jumped by 10,000 because they got a new manager, though they've never jumped by anything remotely like that before when they've got a new manager, including the better-known Neil Lennon.

They also fell by 5,000 the season after Rangers were liquidated. Did Celtic lose a popular kitman that year or something?

BTW, if you think Brendan Rodgers was a household name in Scotland before becoming Celtic manager, you're living in a bubble. Only football fans knew who he was. 

Celtic fans pretending they don't need Rangers is my new jam. 

BTW, if you think Brendan Rodgers was a household name in Scotland before becoming Celtic manager, you're living in a bubble. Only football fans knew who he was. 

I’m guessing that’s what he ment, don’t think it was supposed to be taken literally.

1 hour ago, The OP said:

In the Europa League under Deila we closed the entire top tier whereas this season we generally had the stadium 5/6 full. Probably because Rangers were in the competition.

Celtic's EL attendances under Deila were the same as under Neil Lennon, including seasons when Rangers won the league. So your point is irrelevant.

1 minute ago, Drew Brees said:

I’m guessing that’s what he ment, don’t think it was supposed to be taken literally.

"What gannonball meant to say was..."

Can you keep me updated on what bits of what he says should and shouldn't be taken seriously? Thanks.

"What gannonball meant to say was..."
Can you keep me updated on what bits of what he says should and shouldn't be taken seriously? Thanks.

It’s usually obvious when people are talking football and they use the term ‘a household name’ they mean in the football world.

1 hour ago, GordonS said:

Sure. Attendances jumped by 10,000 because they got a new manager, though they've never jumped by anything remotely like that before when they've got a new manager, including the better-known Neil Lennon.

So your point here is that Lennon is 'better-known' to disprove my point? It was Neil Lennon's first managerial post. Rodgers was a proven EPL manager who's last job was at Liverpool ffs. There really is no comparison between the two when Celtic hired them.

So your point here is that Lennon is 'better-known' to disprove my point? It was Neil Lennon's first managerial post. Rodgers was a proven EPL manager who's last job was at Liverpool ffs. There really is no comparison between the two when Celtic hired them.

Plus Lennon came 3/4 of the way through the season.

3 minutes ago, Drew Brees said:

Plus Lennon came 3/4 of the way through the season.

He was also that much of an inspiring managerial appointment that we didn't announce him till June after we found we couldn't attract any one of note.

Rangers had to beat Celtic at some point. Was always going to be funny to see the reaction of both sets of fans in the aftermath.

Somehow the staunchists still manage to be the angrier of the pair.

To be honest it was the perfect storm for Rangers. Celtic were missing Griffiths, Oduard, Rogic, Teirney, lost Lustig and Bencovic during the match with an 18 year old up front and their on form player out of position at left back. Rangers have been playing well at Ibrox so it was going to be tough, but when you add in they circumstances Rangers had to take advantage. To be fair to them they did, should have been at least 4 up at half time.

Might be the worst thing they could have done though. I can see Celtic blowing them out the water by spending 15-20m in January, plus Rangers don't play as well as that on a weekly basis, and Celtic don't play as bad as that...well ever.

12 hours ago, Tynierose said:

I think Aberdeen were fairly decent in Europe in the early 80's as were Dundee Utd.   Celtic average crowd 83/84 was 18k

In essence they are glory hunting c***s.

So how does this prove **** being in the league matters to Celtic attendances?

11 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

We won the league in 83/84 but we only got to the semi of the cup winners cup so the Celtic fans justifiably stayed at home.

11 hours ago, Tynierose said:

You let them down, shame on Aberdeen.

11 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

I’m actually laughing at this.

The pigheaded refusal to acknowledge rangers impact on the life of a Celtic fan has led us to hearts and Aberdeen’s credentials in Europe being cited as a major factor in celtics attendances emoji1.png

11 hours ago, GordonS said:

They also fell by 5,000 the season after Rangers were liquidated. Did Celtic lose a popular kitman that year or something?

Celtic fans pretending they don't need Rangers is my new jam. 

They (attendances) were around the same as pre-Rodgers with **** in the league in 09/10. By the same token having credible opposition is important. I imagine Ajax would be less popular without PSV and Feyenoord and Benfica less popular without Porto and Sporting. Nothing beats beating the ****. In an ideal world they’d be permanently optimistic and neutered imo. This new fangled idea where they get in our faces and don’t lose 5-1 might have an adverse effect on attendances.

11 hours ago, GordonS said:

Celtic's EL attendances under Deila were the same as under Neil Lennon, including seasons when Rangers won the league. So your point is irrelevant.

It’s not actually. It reinforces it. Attendances are better generally.

FFS so much navel gazing. The thread was originally (I think) about us v the Mhanky mhob.

We won the game. Comfortably. (Not my initially instinctive expectation, I’ll give you that; but then I’m just a jaded spectator ).

But the relevance of that to Delia or Mowbray of 5 years previous? To this game?

Answers on a postcard please. Although it’s unlikely that you will win £5.

Archived