Killie vs the new club

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Going back to the football, if that's not too wild an idea, I think we all need to laugh a bit more at Rangers' tactical changes. In their previous league meeting they deployed a tactic that produced their best performance of the season and, setting aside my immense hatred of them, you'd have to argue one of the best performances by anyone this season. 

Coming in to this game they then completely alter their system and personnel from that game to crowbar in two signings (being paid astronomical wages that a club posting losses year after year can't possibly afford). Clarke takes all of about 20 minutes to suss this out, makes a small change and for the next 70 minutes, the tactical genius that is Steven Gerrard had no answer. 

Glorious. 

Can I just re-iterate that the vast, vast majority of football fans (non-bigoted) in Scotland would be delirious with joy if another club outside the erse cheeks managed to win the league this season. C’mon Killie / Aberdeen - I don’t care which, but a league trophy in your 150th year would be a bit special.

1 hour ago, deadasdillinger said:

Going back to the football, if that's not too wild an idea, I think we all need to laugh a bit more at Rangers' tactical changes. In their previous league meeting they deployed a tactic that produced their best performance of the season and, setting aside my immense hatred of them, you'd have to argue one of the best performances by anyone this season. 

Coming in to this game they then completely alter their system and personnel from that game to crowbar in two signings (being paid astronomical wages that a club posting losses year after year can't possibly afford). Clarke takes all of about 20 minutes to suss this out, makes a small change and for the next 70 minutes, the tactical genius that is Steven Gerrard had no answer. 

Glorious. 

As I said earlier, in another selfishly football related post, twice this season Gerrard has messed about with a winning team and we've lost.  Motherwell away, he decided to experiment with 3 at the back and it lost us points.  

I know he scored, but I'd argue that Defoe should have been left on the bench and introduced later in the game.  I can understand Davis being included, but McCrorie has come off the back of probably his best performance in a Rangers shirt against Celtic and found himself out the team.

Re Worral.  He's young and still learning, so he's going to make mistakes, but that one was absolutely unforgivable when you consider he received the ball with not another player within 30 yards of him and conspired to lose possession.  Katic and Goldson had formed a fairly solid partnership earlier this season.  Katic had a dip in form, but it's time to try and get back to the two of them in defense. 

10 hours ago, JMDP said:

As for Kilmarnock playing brutal football, I respectfully disagree. They ............, well drilled and relatively solid, happy to cede possession in a sensible way that constricts opponents to few chances and utilise full backs and wide players as important attacking threats, getting the ball back to front quickly when they win it. The comparison also stands as Clarke took over a struggling team, is building a side on a fraction of the budget of the "big two" that is consistently winning games and approaches fixtures expecting to win. He's done an astonishing job, really.

Correct, I believe we are generally so well organised, keep our shape plus being confident in our ability to defend, that Clarke is happy to cede possession as you say as he knows we will quickly get possession back and as we are very quick on the counter attack cause the opposition problems.

We are now confident enough to hold onto a lead and play accordingly.  He stopped Rangers getting quality balls into the box on Wednesday, in fact I thought Rangers biggest threat came from set pieces.  

He has used the players at his disposal superbly and is miles ahead of Stevie "I fell on my arse" Gerrard tactically.

Watching the highlights again yesterday I  couldn't believe Gerrard was sitting in the dug out with a defeated/deflated look on his face in the last few minutes, obviously raging at his team's performance.  That attitude must extend to the players, and is not a good example of positive management. 

Ha f**king ha. 

5 minutes ago, Brother Blades said:

Can I just re-iterate that the vast, vast majority of football fans (non-bigoted) in Scotland would be delirious with joy if another club outside the erse cheeks managed to win the league this season. C’mon Killie / Aberdeen - I don’t care which, but a league trophy in your 150th year would be a bit special.

I'd rather not wait until 2053.

17 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

As I said earlier, in another selfishly football related post, twice this season Gerrard has messed about with a winning team and we've lost.  Motherwell away, he decided to experiment with 3 at the back and it lost us points.  

I know he scored, but I'd argue that Defoe should have been left on the bench and introduced later in the game.  I can understand Davis being included, but McCrorie has come off the back of probably his best performance in a Rangers shirt against Celtic and found himself out the team.

Re Worral.  He's young and still learning, so he's going to make mistakes, but that one was absolutely unforgivable when you consider he received the ball with not another player within 30 yards of him and conspired to lose possession.  Katic and Goldson had formed a fairly solid partnership earlier this season.  Katic had a dip in form, but it's time to try and get back to the two of them in defense. 

Only going on hearsay but seemingly Katics father was /is seriously ill and the youngsters , understandably, head was all over the place.

Goldson was not fit for the Killie game and Barisic injured again! 

Having 3 of your back four missing is never going to end well 

Worrall showed in Old Firm game he is a decent enough big ‘stopper’ but is not a ball playing centre back. Brophy has to get a lot of credit for pressing him and forcing the error . Very reminiscent of Candieas. 

3 minutes ago, BobWilliamson said:

Only going on hearsay but seemingly Katics father was /is seriously ill and the youngsters , understandably, head was all over the place.

Goldson was not fit for the Killie game and Barisic injured again! 

Having 3 of your back four missing is never going to end well 

Worrall showed in Old Firm game he is a decent enough big ‘stopper’ but is not a ball playing centre back. Brophy has to get a lot of credit for pressing him and forcing the error . Very reminiscent of Candieas. 

I had heard that about Katic's father.

Absolutely agree regarding Brophy.  He's forced the error from Worral when a lot of forward players wouldn't even have bothered pressing up like that considering the distance involved.

46 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

The issue with Defoe is that, whilst he's an excellent finisher, he doesn't offer a whole lot else anymore. His last full season (at Sunderland) he got 10 non-penalty goals, but his build-up play was non-existent.  He'll be fine against the poorer teams in the league where Rangers can afford to 'carry' him or go with a 4-4-2 to get both strikers in. But away to a fellow title rival, it felt like a rookie mistake from Gerard to shoehorn him in at the expense of the team shape.

2 minutes ago, lanky_ffc said:

The issue with Defoe is that, whilst he's an excellent finisher, he doesn't offer a whole lot else anymore. His last full season (at Sunderland) he got 10 non-penalty goals, but his build-up play was non-existent.  He'll be fine against the poorer teams in the league where Rangers can afford to 'carry' him or go with a 4-4-2 to get both strikers in.

So he's basically the new Kris Boyd?

On ‎24‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 00:32, deadasdillinger said:

Wrong.

You seething then?

Thankfully that didn't happen!

Wrong.

Turns out it was good for the squad.

Low.

Team: Partick Thistle. LOL!

Voice is gone. I have **** I want to wind up in the school playground and at work tomorrow and I may not be able to, short of by sign language. Will need to think of ways to represent 2 and 1 with fingers alone...

We were phenomenal from back to front. Daniel Bachmann pulled off some terrific saves and really marshalled his defence. He was unlucky with the goal when you considere there was a handball in the leadup and he was pinned to the floor as Defoe struck it.

That Bachmann got a yellow card for dissent but Morelos only got one yellow card for hand ball, and not for dissent or diving, shows everything that is wrong with Scottish football. It's at a point now where there is blatantly a different set of rules for this one particular guy.

O'Donnell is the best right back in Scotland and Taylor ain't far behind him in terms of quality. Scott Boyd deputised brilliantly and Stuart Findlay just did what he always does - immense.

Power always takes the plaudits but I actually thought Dicker was even better tonight. Both played with the heart of a lion. Tshibola was frustrating at a couple of moments (towards the end he gave away a stupid free kick and followed it up by losing the ball a minute later) but overall he had a good game and contributed well.

Chris Burke, I'm running out of things to say about this guy. He has a fantastic football brain, great ability and end product, and for a 35 year old his workrate is just stupid. He would run through 100 brick walls if Steve Clarke asked him to.

I said before the game I thought there were two key elements to how well we played at Ibrox. One was Greg Stewart in the lone role, who was just oustanding that night. Eamonn Brophy has come in tonight and been just as fantastic. He never gave the defence a moment's rest and it paid dividends. His finish was top notch.

The other factor that night was Jordan Jones breaking us up the pitch. Fans had their doubts about how effective he might be tonight given circumstances. No one should ever have doubted Clarke. What a performance he got out of him and the celebration running to the manager says it all.

Absolute fucking scenes in the East Stand when that hit the net. Proper fucking tonto.

When I saw the starting lineup I wasn't happy that Jones was starting. After everything that has happened I couldn't see any way that he would be able to give 100% against his new employers.

However, I've never been happier to have been proven wrong. I've got massive respect for the way he has conducted himself after the WATP tweet and subsequent videos.

Archived