The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

1 minute ago, Airdrie76 said:

On the subject of flags, I couldn’t care less. Matters not a joy to me or anyone else if there is a Union Jack at the game, why would it. And the day after we’ve been promoted, let’s not derail this thread by pandering to an opposition supporter!

Talking to, shouldn't really equate to pandering to, but hey whatever suits.

2 minutes ago, Airdrie76 said:

Union jacks at football games thread for this. If there isn’t one, you should start one. 

Doesn't really seem necessary.

Instead, I just thought looking in here with a polite question might do the job.  The other Airdrie supporters seem to have coped fine with that approach.

7 minutes ago, Airdrie76 said:

On the subject of flags, I couldn’t care less. Matters not a jot to me or anyone else in the grand scheme of things if there is a Union Jack at the game, why would it. And the day after we’ve been promoted, let’s not derail this thread by pandering to an opposition supporter!

To be completely fair @Monkey Tennis is one of the best posters within the L1 forum and I doubt most folk saw it as anything other than a genuine query within an otherwise congratulatory post given their on screen prevalence yesterday.

37 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Thanks for this and the other response that treated my inquiry in good faith.

I’d imagine that if my local club had such associations for whatever reason, I'd find myself feeling similarly.

Out of interest, where do the associations come from in the first place?  The 'without a bus fare' thing gets thrown at various supports from time time, but I don't think the other Lanarkshire teams would have anything like those visuals in their crowds.  

Not sure how it started, but I’m only 27 myself so my earliest Airdrie memories are the early 2000s. There may be others with a better knowledge of it’s origins.

It’s maybe not to the same extent but someone a bit more cynical than myself might call Albion Rovers fans Celtic fans without the bus fare. Most Airdrie fans I know like to see the Rovers do well (as long as they don’t do better than us!) and were sad to see them get relegated yesterday. I grew up in Coatbridge with a dad originally from Airdrie and my whole life the two towns have definitely felt like part of the same larger community, and I’m sure most people from Airdrie or Coatbridge would agree with that. The majority of people in Coatbridge are Celtic fans, and a lot of them would see Albion Rovers as their “wee team”. A lot of people from Coatbridge were suddenly interested in the Rovers as a result of being in the relegation playoff and you can see that by the fact Cliftonhill was sold out yesterday when attendances throughout the season have been very low, as they have been for years. I’m not having a go at those people for turning up for the big game, but you do wonder if the Rovers would be in the position they’re in if those people went more regularly. As far as I know the Rovers crowd aren’t waving tricolours, so I suppose it isn’t the same, but they definitely have that association I suppose as a result of Coatbridge’s largely Irish Catholic population and also the Jock Stein connection.

The way I see it I’d prefer if the fans of all the clubs in Scotland didn’t get involved in what is more associated with the Old Firm, and if the Old Firm gloryhunters (especially in the towns surrounding Glasgow) instead favoured their local “wee team” on a more regular basis, we’d all be a lot better off as clubs.

Through a visor of Tennents lager & chicken pakora I think I’ve just about managed to process yesterday’s events.

In 2012-13, we were relegated after a futile First Division campaign. We finished 12 points behind Dunfermline, who themselves had a 15 point deduction for administration, and a -48 goal difference. That summer, I moved down south and became as disconnected from the club as I ever had been.

Rollercoasters followed. Ownership changes (3, I think?), false dawns, charlatans on and off the pitch, journalists becoming CEOs, Willie Aitchison… every time we thought we’d reached our nadir and then something else would come and take us down another peg.

Ten years later and that has all been cast adrift. And what a match to define the previous decade. Dead, buried and deflated with a minute of normal time to go - same old Airdrie, so near but yet so far in the play-offs.

And then the goal. And then the penalties. And then the ecstasy.

Walking home in the rain last night, it was all worthwhile. Airdrie are great again.

4 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Fordyce and McCabe stepping up for the first 2 pens takes medicine sized balls!

Their reaction after Hamilton’s second was great. While everyone else looked a bit dejected, they kept going and encouraging everyone. 

I found Prunty getting booked very funny too. It’s just like having one of us in the dugout :lol: 

3 hours ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

Obviously the union flags do stand out a bit however I'd say yesterday and at many other games they were outnumbered by other flags. There were three traditional union flags that I saw and the rest were either red/white saltire style, one or 2 of a union flag style but in red and white and the remainder were ones with the club badge and those of other associated clubs or other logo and slogans.

Personally I fucking hate the union flag but it's a game of fitba and if folks want to cheer the team behind one of them then so be it, it's creating atmosphere which is what we want so long as there are no far right antics going with it. I will say that these things are indicative of the individuals concerned and not of the majority of the support.

Of course if English heritage supporting Airdrie fans want to display a union flag then that is perfectly acceptable.

1 minute ago, Mr November said:

Their reaction after Hamilton’s second was great. While everyone else looked a bit dejected, they kept going and encouraging everyone. 

I found Prunty getting booked very funny too. It’s just like having one of us in the dugout :lol: 

No, what was funnier was our mild mannered all round nice guy goalkeeping coach trying to calm him down. 😂

47 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Fordyce and McCabe stepping up for the first 2 pens takes medicine sized balls!

Does it? I fully expected both to step up, and score. Fordyce was a regular penalty taker with us and McCabe took them too in his season here. Is McCabe not your regular taker?

41 minutes ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

Through a visor of Tennents lager & chicken pakora I think I’ve just about managed to process yesterday’s events.

In 2012-13, we were relegated after a futile First Division campaign. We finished 12 points behind Dunfermline, who themselves had a 15 point deduction for administration, and a -48 goal difference. That summer, I moved down south and became as disconnected from the club as I ever had been.

Rollercoasters followed. Ownership changes (3, I think?), false dawns, charlatans on and off the pitch, journalists becoming CEOs, Willie Aitchison… every time we thought we’d reached our nadir and then something else would come and take us down another peg.

Ten years later and that has all been cast adrift. And what a match to define the previous decade. Dead, buried and deflated with a minute of normal time to go - same old Airdrie, so near but yet so far in the play-offs.

And then the goal. And then the penalties. And then the ecstasy.

Walking home in the rain last night, it was all worthwhile. Airdrie are great again.

This is what supporting clubs at our level is all about. Airdrie, QoS, Raith, Morton, Ayr, Hamilton, clubs of a relatively similar size all around the bottom end of the full time market. Possibly throw in Livi although they are clearly on the crest of a wave right now. A good season sees a challenge at the top of the Championship (or even actually making and surviving in the Premiership as Hamilton and Livi did). A bad run sees them marooned in League 1 (or in Morton's case a brief sojourn in League 2).

Enjoy your promotion, you've earned it.

Hibernian 1997. 
Stirling Albion 2007. 
Clyde 2008. 
Ayr United 2009. 
Brechin City 2010. 
Dumbarton 2012. 
Alloa 2017. 
Morton 2021.
Queen’s Park 2022. 

Nine play-offs. Nine dismal failures. Lost them all in just about every way you can. Ten years in League 1, playing and getting humped by nonentities in front of no one. A club going nowhere. Until now. Days, and nights, like yesterday make it all worth it. It won’t always be like this. But I wouldn’t swap my club, and this feeling I currently have, for the world. I love our fans, our town and our community. This team and manager will forever be immortalised as the team that FINALLY won a play-off. All the shit we’ve been through, we deserve our day in the sun. Especially happy for my uncle and cousin who came over from Sweden for the game and who usually see Airdrie bottle it when they do. 
I hope the manager, staff, board and players enjoyed their night. You all deserve it and thank you for all you’ve given us this season. oh diamonds are red ♦️♦️

6BE299A4-87C5-43D0-AA41-8E7293009227.jpeg

87B5D97E-DE47-48DF-8317-8D3B89E3785B.jpeg

1025494E-1C0C-40F6-B5A5-B667CA0B9AA2.jpeg

466418DE-D1E3-4E2A-BAF7-B44D5F04A89A.jpeg

Edited by airdrieman

17 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Does it? I fully expected both to step up, and score. Fordyce was a regular penalty taker with us and McCabe took them too in his season here. Is McCabe not your regular taker?

I think so as I don't recall Fordyce taking one before with us. McCabe yes, but more the fact that they took the first 2 and add on the pressure of being manager and assistant.

18 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Hibernian 1997. 
Stirling Albion 2007. 
Clyde 2008. 
Ayr United 2009. 
Brechin City 2010. 
Dumbarton 2012. 
Alloa 2017. 
Morton 2021.
Queen’s Park 2022. 

Nine play-offs. Nine dismal failures. Lost them all in just about every way you can. Ten years in League 1, playing and getting humped by nonentities in front of no one. A club going nowhere. Until now. Days, and nights, like yesterday make it all worth it. It won’t always be like this. But I wouldn’t swap my club, and this feeling I currently have, for the world. I love our fans, our town and our community. This team and manager will forever be immortalised as the team that FINALLY won a play-off. All the shit we’ve been through, we deserve our day in the sun. Especially happy for my uncle and cousin who came over from Sweden for the game and who usually see Airdrie bottle it when they do. 
I hope the manager, staff, board and players enjoyed their night. You all deserve it and thank you for all you’ve given us this season. oh diamonds are red ♦️♦️

Probably best you weren’t around back in the day when we won promotion to the Premier League- either time!

4 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

Obviously Rhys and Dycey will still be playing.

Surely not every game?

You might get away with that in L1 but the tactics and game management is far harder in the championship will be hard to do that whilst in the thick of it. Would also doubt Fordyce has the legs for the championship either.

2 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

To be completely fair @Monkey Tennis is one of the best posters within the L1 forum and I doubt most folk saw it as anything other than a genuine query within an otherwise congratulatory post given their on screen prevalence yesterday.

Fair enough, my bad. The congrats was one paragraph, the questioning around it three though. And why ask it. The answer of Airdrie is in the UK, the Union Jack is the flag of the UK, or those with a Union Jack flag may be unionists is obvious answer but clearly not the answer wanted. And the narrative is to suggest we are similar or have an affiliation to another team - or at least the sh1te that goes with it. Maybe I’ve not because that normally is the case.  Not for me. Not the day after we’ve done something pretty special. Apologies to Monkey Tennis. I’d just rather Airdrie supporters spend time reflecting on a pretty amazing season but that’s not for me to say obviously! I’m neither a unionist or a Union Jack waver but it literally does not bother me what so ever. And given the rationale I’ve noted, why would it anyone. 

1 hour ago, Grant228 said:

Nice for Gabby McGill, he simply wasn't very good when we had him but there was no doubting he was a thoroughly cracking guy. 

Think that was definitely the view of the majority of your lot last season but I think he’s come on leaps and bounds over this season. Hopefully you’ll get to see that next season when we play you!