The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

4 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

St Johnstone have just released David Wotherspoon who is represented by Consilium Sports Group

23 games he played for Saints last year, surely do a job at Championship level but 33 years old playing on our plastic park not so sure!

Also notice Consilium have a 21 year old Northern Irish striker from Brighton out of contract in the summer....

1 hour ago, Diamond Oracle said:

I’m not against clubs having B teams. As far as I’m concerned Celtic, Rangers et al can fill their boots with their B teams as long as they’re playing in a B team league that sits outwith the senior league system.

I would doubt that Celtic renting out our pitch once every fortnight would be a major factor to us getting promoted in any case.

Stranraer Reserves play in the South of Scotland League, within the pyramid..............

3 hours ago, AJ77 said:

23 games he played for Saints last year, surely do a job at Championship level but 33 years old playing on our plastic park not so sure!

Also notice Consilium have a 21 year old Northern Irish striker from Brighton out of contract in the summer....

We'll need to get the free's and out of contract guys dealt with first. Not expecting that many but we have to make room for better players.

Edited by Kenny_m

3 hours ago, AJ77 said:

I think he’d be a great signing with a lot of our players not having played at this level he would be a great dressing room influence alongside Dycey and Rhys.  Surely worth a 12 month contract and I’m not too bothered about his age as long as he’s fit enough 

9 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

We'll need to get the free's and out of contract guys dealt with first. Not expecting that many but we have to make room for better players.

I think we need to get this done sooner rather than later. Not in a panic sense but we seen how difficult it was to recruit last season and with the championship being a step up I feel we really need to give ourselves the best chance going forward. I expect we will find out this week, if I goes into the middle of next week I'll start to get twitchy.

33 minutes ago, Diamond8 said:

I think we need to get this done sooner rather than later. Not in a panic sense but we seen how difficult it was to recruit last season and with the championship being a step up I feel we really need to give ourselves the best chance going forward. I expect we will find out this week, if I goes into the middle of next week I'll start to get twitchy.

Absolutely as there's been "rumours" about Smith, McGill, Devenny & Frizzell possibly departing and most likely for more dough but it changes the landscape big time if they did. Add in players who would probably have got contracts in league 1 but possibly not in the championship.

38 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Absolutely as there's been "rumours" about Smith, McGill, Devenny & Frizzell possibly departing and most likely for more dough but it changes the landscape big time if they did. Add in players who would probably have got contracts in league 1 but possibly not in the championship.

I will go out on a limb and say all of the above players will resign,   weirdly he one player I think could struggle in the championship is Frizzell..  Smith linked with Raith and Dundee,  Raith have signed Mullin from Livi who is similar in sytyle to Smith,  Frizzell to Morton , local Greenock boy they 2 look well stocked in his position.. McGIll who knows rumoured down south,  Devenney lovely player who runs out of gas after 70 minutes, could get picked up by a Premier B team, why though would he want that....

I would be offering all  players 2 year deals, so that if this season goes 'pete don't we have a back stop of a core of players who are proven high end league 1 players....    

1 hour ago, Diamond8 said:

I think the club have been very respectful to all players that gave that that famous night in Hamilton,  they are all winners in my view,   and they should enjoy that fact....    Footballers know  though when the wages stop and thats tomorrow,   so expect business head on from club and player with no doubt some info being released in snippets via player or club...

18 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Devenney lovely player who runs out of gas after 70 minutes, could get picked up by a Premier B team, why though would he want that....

Come on now, if its £450 per week at us and £650 at Melchester Rovers, he's off, and any other player for that matter.

34 minutes ago, FLDiamond said:

Ryan Edwards released from DU today… a 6ft 5 centre back.   He’s most probably returning to England but this would be a good signing with plenty of height.  I imagine he’d be more than capable of shining in the Championship 

Think off the money he’s on at Dundee 

5 hours ago, Passionate said:

I will go out on a limb and say all of the above players will resign,   weirdly he one player I think could struggle in the championship is Frizzell..  Smith linked with Raith and Dundee,  Raith have signed Mullin from Livi who is similar in sytyle to Smith,  Frizzell to Morton , local Greenock boy they 2 look well stocked in his position.. McGIll who knows rumoured down south,  Devenney lovely player who runs out of gas after 70 minutes, could get picked up by a Premier B team, why though would he want that....

I would be offering all  players 2 year deals, so that if this season goes 'pete don't we have a back stop of a core of players who are proven high end league 1 players....    

I agree on the two year deal thing. The club has done really well to build a solid core squad over the last few seasons, with most of them at a good age. Now is the time to offer some continuity and longer term deals for Smith, Frizzell, McGill etc., with one year players we should be improving upon over the next year or two like Watson.

14 hours ago, Passionate said:

Certainly never heard any rumours about any  of our players or any other clubs interested as yet .

14 hours ago, Passionate said:

Yeah not so sure where Smith would fit into the Raith team after there first few signings/resignings, Dunfermline would maybe be an option for him as well though. Also led to believe Frizzell stays in Glasgow now and not Greenock.

15 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

Yeah not so sure where Smith would fit into the Raith team after there first few signings/resignings, Dunfermline would maybe be an option for him as well though. Also led to believe Frizzell stays in Glasgow now and not Greenock.

Im sure its Chapelhall he stays.

25 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

Also led to believe Frizzell stays in Glasgow now and not Greenock.

9 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Im sure its Chapelhall he stays.

8 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

Pretty sure it's Renfrew, but could be wrong.

I’m sure it’s Blantyre. 

13 hours ago, Diamonds_Are_Forever said:

Think off the money he’s on at Dundee 

Yeh a big bone of contention for United fans as apparently they had a top 6 budget and got relegated. Even 50% of his wages would probably be too much for us and to be honest he looked pretty gash to me.