The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

20 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Stranraer Reserves play in the South of Scotland League, within the pyramid..............

Just a thought, if Stranraer reserves were stacked with talent and got promoted the old fashioned way would they be stuck below the SPFL only because of ownership rules? or are they ineligible to play any higher? 

If so and the B teams had just entered at the bottom of the pyramid a few years ago they could probably have been in the lowland league on merit by this point.

Edited by LeodhasXD

2 hours ago, LeodhasXD said:

Just a thought, if Stranraer reserves were stacked with talent and got promoted the old fashioned way would they be stuck below the SPFL only because of ownership rules? or are they ineligible to play any higher? 

If so and the B teams had just entered at the bottom of the pyramid a few years ago they could probably have been in the lowland league on merit by this point.

I genuinely have no idea. We've played in the South League with our Reserve side at times in the relatively recent past too but that was before the pyramid and it was a stand alone league then so the prospect of promotion was never on the table. I assumed Stranraer would not be allowed to progress to Lowland but I guess there may not be anything actually preventing it given Rangers, Celtic and Hearts B sides already play there at the moment. Unless the Lowland rules only allowed Premiership B sides to enter. I don't know enough about how the Lowland League works. Or whether the South would allow them to be declared Champions. They finished 4th in the current season, fairly well adrift of the top three.

Clearly they wouldn't be allowed to enter the SPFL.

Edited to add - Caledonian Braves Reserves also play in the South League (finished 11th of 12). In theory their 1st team play one division higher in the Lowland League. I assume their reserves would not be eligible for promotion.

Edited to further add - Apparently Caley Braves Reserves resigned from the South League at last night's AGM. Not sure where they are off to play but West League seems most likely if it's allowed and they aren't just folding it.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

You would presume that if Stranraer reserves got to or near League 2 then they would be candidates for the first team & the best players would be removed thus keeping them at a level. Rangers & Celtic B however could reach bottom 6 of Premiership ( possibly even top 6 ) before that would become an issue for the first team unless specifically forbidden. Once that happens do we see C teams / D Teams a Premership with 2/3/4/5 clubs where does it stop.

Edited by CumbyDiamond

On 28/05/2023 at 20:14, D-Fens Foster said:

So what is yer genuine expectations next season chaps ? Is it all about survival or can you kick on again maybe even a cheeky playoff push ? 

Aim high has to be the plan. Then you should secure your place in the league at least and who knows what else. But that'd easier said than done of course. No way will Rhys just be aiming for 8th place though. Not a chance. 

Seen that St mirren released a squad update and Dean McMaster isn't mentioned at all on it, heard rumours months ago he signed a pre contract with us which looks very likely now.

4 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Apparently Caley Braves Reserves resigned from the South League at last night's AGM. Not sure where they are off to play but West League seems most likely if it's allowed and they aren't just folding it.

I would assume that your West league suggestion will be on the money. I spoke to a dad of one of their players a couple of months ago when they were down playing Newton Stewart. He mentioned that the travel involved for the away games in the South league was tough going.

46 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

Seen that St mirren released a squad update and Dean McMaster isn't mentioned at all on it, heard rumours months ago he signed a pre contract with us which looks very likely now.

I've made my feelings clear on McMaster but notice on the St Mirren list that Joe Shaughnessy is leaving. Perhaps a realistic target or maybe out with our means.

23 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

I've made my feelings clear on McMaster but notice on the St Mirren list that Joe Shaughnessy is leaving. Perhaps a realistic target or maybe out with our means.

I'm sure I read recently that Shaughnessy was offered a new deal but turned it down, club captain as well.  I'm not saying its out with the realms of possibility but I'd be surprised (and delighted) if that was within our market.

4 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

I'm sure I read recently that Shaughnessy was offered a new deal but turned it down, club captain as well.  I'm not saying its out with the realms of possibility but I'd be surprised (and delighted) if that was within our market.

A quick google and it would seem you are correct although it's suggested he turned down a 1 year deal as he wasn't guaranteed to play every week.

1 hour ago, Riviera711 said:

I would assume that your West league suggestion will be on the money. I spoke to a dad of one of their players a couple of months ago when they were down playing Newton Stewart. He mentioned that the travel involved for the away games in the South league was tough going.

My friend was involved in managing St Cuthberts Wanderers and he quit due to the travel at end of the season, was quite tough for player attraction as well due to the travel.

46 minutes ago, KD1711 said:

My friend was involved in managing St Cuthberts Wanderers and he quit due to the travel at end of the season, was quite tough for player attraction as well due to the travel.

Yes, depending where you are travelling from, Dumfries can almost feel like the journey is only half done when you then have to drive on through into Kirkcudbrightshire 😉. We are a long way south!

1 hour ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Murray seems to be on signing spree .

2 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

I'd be happy if he has indeed signed on again with us. Bags of potential and if he comes on next season like Justin Devenny has this season, he will be a cracking addition. 

4 minutes ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

I'd be happy if he has indeed signed on again with us. Bags of potential and if he comes on next season like Justin Devenny has this season, he will be a cracking addition. 

A personally can’t see him getting used that much in the championship if he has signed on would of took him if we were still in league one tho 

11 minutes ago, Diamonds_Are_Forever said:

A personally can’t see him getting used that much in the championship if he has signed on would of took him if we were still in league one tho 

Another way to think of it.... I'd be delighted if McMaster was going to be the kind of quality on the lower end of our bench. Lots to ponder in the coming weeks!!

35 minutes ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

My take on it is quite simple. Rhys picked which he considered our best 11 for the play off games and he never made an appearance. You would therefore think that for the coming season we will have to sign players who improve our starting 11 therefore I really can't see where he fits in.

55 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

My take on it is quite simple. Rhys picked which he considered our best 11 for the play off games and he never made an appearance. You would therefore think that for the coming season we will have to sign players who improve our starting 11 therefore I really can't see where he fits in.

He played in the Falkirk second leg . He has potential but we will need someone stronger in midfield.

Edited by Chapelhall chap
Spelling

3 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

Justin Devenny couldn't get into our starting 11 as a regular when on loan the previous season. He worked hard over the summer and developed into an excellent player last season. A starter. Thinking that McMaster cannot do the same and won't develop into a quality player is quite short sighted IMO. As Ammo Airdrie said, even as someone on the bench, he's an excellent prospect and he WILL get better. 

Rhys put himself in over McMaster for the play offs. Right decision as he is better and more experienced. But we need someone to replace him eventually and McMaster could well be that person.