Rovers v Arbroath - the next instalment

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

He was absolutely brought here to win promotion straight away. I like many others thought Mcglynn would have a bigger, and quicker impact – and to be fair when his first game in charge was the best I’ve seen us play in years, its easy to get carried away a bit.

It was clear that he was going to base his squad around Regan Hendry and Lewis Vaughan, and he’s lost both to long term injury. Not an excuse, but in an already thin squad- that was always going to throw a pretty huge spanner in there. The remaining players aren’t good enough to carry that, they are a supporting cast at best – and his efforts to replace the quality in the additions he has brought in haven’t worked out yet.

Also Arbroath have been fantastic and are probably a better all round squad than Ayr last season – as Ayr without Shankland were prone to being a bit shit at times. Just my view though. I expected Arbroath to be a good side this season, as they proved in the second half of last season they were no mugs at all, but I thought we would have enough to finish above them. Emphatically wrong, but there we go.

The strikeforce I was referring to was Spence and Buchannan – both of whom were superb the season before in this league, and certainly were anything but last season. 

Also, in defence of both Smith and Mcglynn, the players need to take a bit of blame. In theory, Wedderburn, Gillespie and Crane should be standouts at this level – they aren’t. Benedictus, Davidson, Murray,Thomson,Flanagan and Duggan should be able to do better than they have. Add to that the loss of Vaughan and Hendry, then it leaves Nisbet as the only real player of quality. And he has been massively off the boil since the new year. 

Failure to go up this season is still failure, absolutely. But getting rid of Mcglynn would leave us looking for our seventh manager since 2015, and for a club that is regularly chastised for being short-sighted – far from ideal. The usual names (Lennon) would get trotted out but they would likely a. Not want the job, or b. Not be much better than Mcglynn in all honesty. We are bottom of the pile in terms of FT football and probably behind a couple of PT clubs in terms of desirability. When we lose players to PT clubs on account of a shit salary on offer, then its not a great advert. We have a manager who has built us up from this position before, so I reckon he needs at least the Summer and the start of next season – and I reckon he will get that regardless.

Fair do's  but I think the majority are living  more in hope than anything else.  It's very rare that a manager is successful second time around  ( Mourinho a perfect example) . The clock is ticking for McGlynn and I doubt if the majority will remain as optimistic as yourself if you fail in another play off scenario. 

23 hours ago, CALDERON said:

Smith is an average League 1 manager. Has never proved he's any more, other than a freak half season at Dundee.

McGlynn is a better manager, and I'm sure if he's given enough backing next season he will prove it in time. 

I think the Rovers fans would just about be the only support in the country that would rather have McGlynn than Smith.

Neither are great choices tbf.

What are you on about 'took us to a Scottish Cup final' ?  Unless I am mistaken, he wasn't the manager in season 1912-13, the only Scottish Cup final you have ever managed to get to - and lost of course.

Sepia dreams, quality. I bet you were creaming your pants at those glorious days.

20 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

I think the Rovers fans would just about be the only support in the country that would rather have McGlynn than Smith.

The only support in the country to have had both, to be fair. 

A club who need promotion, preferring a manager who has won promotion before over a manager who hasn't isn't really outrageous. 

I think the obsession from other clubs with McGlynn is that most rovers fans thought he was some kind of god and was just gonna come in and it was just a certainty that they were gonna win the league, I can remember someone saying that they’d win the league “by at least 10 points” and yet look what’s happened we’re now 16 points ahead and McGglynn now doesn’t look as if he’s such a good manager now.

37 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

Fair do's  but I think the majority are living  more in hope than anything else.  It's very rare that a manager is successful second time around  ( Mourinho a perfect example) . The clock is ticking for McGlynn and I doubt if the majority will remain as optimistic as yourself if you fail in another play off scenario. 

Mourinho who won the league in his return to Chelsea? I'd take that.

37 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Previous evidence probably has a lot to do with that. 

I'm sure McGlynn will sort us out again. 

I wouldn't be so sure of that given the monumental arse that McGlynn - not Smith nor anyone else - has made of your league campaign this season.  But Raith fans seem far too busy clutching at straws and harking back to old times to consider the logical conclusion: that their manager is now just a busted flush in Scottish football. 

Which is delicious.

2 hours ago, CALDERON said:

He was absolutely brought here to win promotion straight away. I like many others thought Mcglynn would have a bigger, and quicker impact – and to be fair when his first game in charge was the best I’ve seen us play in years, its easy to get carried away a bit.

It was clear that he was going to base his squad around Regan Hendry and Lewis Vaughan, and he’s lost both to long term injury. Not an excuse, but in an already thin squad- that was always going to throw a pretty huge spanner in there. The remaining players aren’t good enough to carry that, they are a supporting cast at best – and his efforts to replace the quality in the additions he has brought in haven’t worked out yet.

Also Arbroath have been fantastic and are probably a better all round squad than Ayr last season – as Ayr without Shankland were prone to being a bit shit at times. Just my view though. I expected Arbroath to be a good side this season, as they proved in the second half of last season they were no mugs at all, but I thought we would have enough to finish above them. Emphatically wrong, but there we go.

The strikeforce I was referring to was Spence and Buchannan – both of whom were superb the season before in this league, and certainly were anything but last season. 

Also, in defence of both Smith and Mcglynn, the players need to take a bit of blame. In theory, Wedderburn, Gillespie and Crane should be standouts at this level – they aren’t. Benedictus, Davidson, Murray,Thomson,Flanagan and Duggan should be able to do better than they have. Add to that the loss of Vaughan and Hendry, then it leaves Nisbet as the only real player of quality. And he has been massively off the boil since the new year. 

Failure to go up this season is still failure, absolutely. But getting rid of Mcglynn would leave us looking for our seventh manager since 2015, and for a club that is regularly chastised for being short-sighted – far from ideal. The usual names (Lennon) would get trotted out but they would likely a. Not want the job, or b. Not be much better than Mcglynn in all honesty. We are bottom of the pile in terms of FT football and probably behind a couple of PT clubs in terms of desirability. When we lose players to PT clubs on account of a shit salary on offer, then its not a great advert. We have a manager who has built us up from this position before, so I reckon he needs at least the Summer and the start of next season – and I reckon he will get that regardless.

Agree 100%

I watch all the highlights and interviews from the clubs in this league
I'll second this.
I watch all of L1 and L2 if nothing more than to pass a bit of time tbh.
I have developed an unhealthy obsession with our Johnny at Berwick though. If you thought some of the managers in this division were wallopers....

On ‎18‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 08:58, Scary Bear said:

To me fatdoug1938 and the likes just want to see us at the same level as East Fife. We are, so they should be happy that they can compete with us for the first time in 30 years, but still they’re not content. 

Once we are part-time, going nowhere and down to 500 fans, then they’ll be truly content.

Misery loves company.

You are below East Fife level already , We beat you  everytime   we play you .  When we win our 2 games in hand we will be 4 point clear of you .  :shutup 

I'll second this.
I watch all of L1 and L2 if nothing more than to pass a bit of time tbh.
I have developed an unhealthy obsession with our Johnny at Berwick though. If you thought some of the managers in this division were wallopers....

Can't claim to watch them all but what I have seen of McGlynn's PM comments do tend to be the same "we were robbed/they only came here to nick the points/we were the better team" bollocks whenever they lose, even after being outplayed, outclassed and never looking like winning!!!
Doesn't make them any less amusing though!!!

Amazing how the diddy fans can’t understand that McGlynn gets an “easy ride” because he previously took us from a worse position to our highest league placing since we came down from the premiership and took us too a Scottish cup final. Any managers at Brechin/Arbroath/East Fife manages a Scottish Cup Semi or 2nd in the Championship lately?

E65BCA73-28D1-40C2-AA2B-1CB9D8EF2588-2098-000001DB8B29DA00.thumb.jpg.4161b7302a8bce3c425495bee8f29691.jpg

And, no, he’s not the messiah but he’s a better bet than a complete imposter like Barry Smith.
Tbf I can understand the leeway McGlynn gets, given that he's a bit of a legend for Rovers fans, but if we're being completely honest he's failed miserably since returning to Raith. We also need to remember that he was out the of the 1st team management game for the best part of 4 years after a fairly honking spell at Hearts followed by an average spell at Livi. I certainly wouldn't be on here giving it the "diddy fans" patter considering your full-time outfit is currently sitting 16 points behind the leaders without any notable improvement since the appointment of McGlynn.

Any Rovers fans questioning what he's actually bringing to the table are quite right in doing so. There's reason he spent 4 years without a club touching him with a barge pole IMO. And FWIW Barry Smith at least had you within touching distance of a title, something that should be an absolute given for club like full-time Raith Rovers in this league.

Tbf I can understand the leeway McGlynn gets, given that he's a bit of a legend for Rovers fans, but if we're being completely honest he's failed miserably since returning to Raith. We also need to remember that he was out the of the 1st team management game for the best part of 4 years after a fairly honking spell at Hearts followed by an average spell at Livi. I certainly wouldn't be on here giving it the "diddy fans" patter considering your full-time outfit is currently sitting 16 points behind the leaders without any notable improvement since the appointment of McGlynn.

Any Rovers fans questioning what he's actually bringing to the table are quite right in doing so. There's reason he spent 4 years without a club touching him with a barge pole IMO. And FWIW Barry Smith at least had you within touching distance of a title, something that should be an absolute given for club like full-time Raith Rovers in this league.

^^* very very much this!!!

2 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

And FWIW Barry Smith at least had you within touching distance of a title, something that should be an absolute given for club like full-time Raith Rovers in this league.

In truth we were miles away last season. Ayr, with their dodgy defence, kept throwing points away to keep the two of us close enough together but we were an awful team under Smith.

Archived