Heart of Midlothian v Partick Thistle - Scottish Cup quarter-final replay, 12/03/2019

Elixir

Hertz - dominant in the first half, poor in the second

+

Partick - poor in the first half,  better in the second

=

replay.

We have to beat two Championship sides to get to the final.

If we don't reach the final, Levein has to go.

If we do get to the final, there's no way we're winning it. 

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't believe I held a shite in to watch that first half before bursting away and having a great half time.     Fucking dire.

Harkins is good for one tackle a season.    I clocked him doing 2.5 tonight.    I'm taking that as a win and not being on credit for Gary to f**k about for the rest of his 18 months. 

Let's be serious here.   When it matters, we humiliate Hearts at Tynecastle.      Why do we always let them score twice?    Let's pump-them-to-nil this time, for a laugh.  

We're lucky to be in the draw. 

That would have been an utterly magical goal from the big Hearts guy tonight if it dipped in.  

Is the replay going to be on BBC as well? That 7.05 time is pish albeit it allowed for a couple of post match pints after a good result.

No idea how we weren't about 8-0 down at half time, our tactics of leaving no-one up from set pieces and standing off Hearts allowing  them to pump about 150  crosses into the box probably aren't in the Big Book of How To Win Football Matches.

Don't know whether Hearts had punched themselves out a bit in the first half or whether they thought it was job done but I will give our players credit for not chucking it (unlike last Tuesday), Harkins was beyond abject for the first half but passable in the second. I'm refusing to sing that Blair Spittal starman song though. 

No idea how Mansell lasted the 90,  fair enough 10/10 for effort but that's kind of a minimum requirement, like Bambi on ice with the ball. Genuinely hoped when I saw McGinty about to come on that we were about to out-Levein Levein and put a galoot of a CB on up front for chaos value. I'm maybe being churlish but while a draw with a top 6 Premiership side is good, I'm not sure an extra game is really what we need so I was a bit bemused we put an extra defender on to try and secure the 1-1.

That game was also Miles Storey's Thistle career in miniature- folk spending the first half saying "aye, I know he's shite but his pace could stretch them and give us an out ball"... comes on and does nothing other than run into people, multiple times. Cardle was decent though, hilarious fresh air shot aside.

We'll no doubt lose the replay tamely 2-0 but at least we've given the cup a proper go this year.

4 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

What was with the singing of Flower of Scotland just then?

Someone in the Hearts end was waving a big Union Jack around. Equally pathetic to our numbskull young team replying with that dirge.

4 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Was followed up not long after with a blast of 'We'll Be Coming', although with 'Tartan Army' replaced with 'Partick Thistle'.

Thought that was an old Clyde song.

That was a Thistle song before it was a Scotland song. Has been sung for a long, long time at games.

No idea where Clyde fit into the whole equation but their name or nickname doesn’t work in the song anyway, so who cares?

4 hours ago, Fungi said:

Could just be the easiest £90 I'll ever make. Partick absolutely howling

Unlucky m8.

3 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

Just started watching this.  That Thistle strip is absolutely bowfing.

Lolwut. In an abject, miserable disgrace of a season, this year’s kit is just about the one good point. Best we’ve had in years, and everything a Thistle kit should be.

I’ve no idea how we got a draw from that. We were absolutely minging for about 75 minutes, with Harkins in particular looking a complete haddie. We have absolutely nothing in the middle of the park and him getting a full 90 minutes when he was burst after 15 shows that. Caldwell has generally signed well to replace Archibald’s dross, but he’s left us really short there.

Don’t think we’ve really got any chance in the replay, but still, Hearts away is a cracker and f**k knows how long before we’ll be back again, so looking forward to it.

Is the replay going to be on BBC as well? That 7.05 time is pish albeit it allowed for a couple of post match pints after a good result.
No idea how we weren't about 8-0 down at half time, our tactics of leaving no-one up from set pieces and standing off Hearts allowing  them to pump about 150  crosses into the box probably aren't in the Big Book of How To Win Football Matches.
Don't know whether Hearts had punched themselves out a bit in the first half or whether they thought it was job done but I will give our players credit for not chucking it (unlike last Tuesday), Harkins was beyond abject for the first half but passable in the second. I'm refusing to sing that Blair Spittal starman song though. 
No idea how Mansell lasted the 90,  fair enough 10/10 for effort but that's kind of a minimum requirement, like Bambi on ice with the ball. Genuinely hoped when I saw McGinty about to come on that we were about to out-Levein Levein and put a galoot of a CB on up front for chaos value. I'm maybe being churlish but while a draw with a top 6 Premiership side is good, I'm not sure an extra game is really what we need so I was a bit bemused we put an extra defender on to try and secure the 1-1.
That game was also Miles Storey's Thistle career in miniature- folk spending the first half saying "aye, I know he's shite but his pace could stretch them and give us an out ball"... comes on and does nothing other than run into people, multiple times. Cardle was decent though, hilarious fresh air shot aside.
We'll no doubt lose the replay tamely 2-0 but at least we've given the cup a proper go this year.

Won't be televised as champions league blackout in effect.

8 hours ago, paranoid android said:

I'd be genuinely interested to know how many times Steven MacLean actually touched the ball tonight, btw - an absolute passenger all night. :lol:

An absolute passenger all season. Don’t know what Levein is doing persisting with him, other than trying to justify how clever he was to sign him despite everyone thinking WTF ? Keena, Clare, Wighton or the out on loan MacDonald could all do the feed-off Uche role but would at least pose an occasional threat to the opponents goal.

Is Steven McLean also not about 45?  Fuck knows why he's getting a game over the youngsters who appear move effective.  Presumably he's on a higher wage than most and is being told to play him by Budge to justify it.

12 hours ago, Crùbag said:

Let's face it - almost any of the other quarter-finalists would've beaten us. Maybe not Dun Utd and we may have raised our game against Hibs but otherwise another lacklustre soul-destroying game from Hearts. Get Levein to fck.

Maclean playing 80 minutes FFS?

Same here.  Inverness will be in the final.

Quite an odd game that one.  Hearts were dominant for the vast majority, but after looking like they could score as many as they want, they really sat back after about 30 minutes.  I'm not even that sure we played particularly badly throughout, we just didn't ever really have a chance of the ball.  Hearts were bigger, faster, stronger, and bullied us with ease.  But we stuck in it, got in at half-time 1-0, and managed to wrestle a replay.  I'll take that.

Uche really is something, isn't he?  Flitting between being an utterly terrifying entity bearing down on the defence to oh-no-a-breeze shithousery and histrionics.  Would have loved to have a red button view focused on just him for the entire game, he was magnificent.  

Harkins...f**k sake.

I felt for Mansell.  I can see why he was picked to get some height up there, but what an absolutely thankless task he had.  He may as well have stayed up with their keeper and had a chat in the first half for all he got involved, but at least you could never fault him for effort.  I'm not convinced Doolan would have gotten anything at all from that defence, and McDonald would probably only be good enough to noise them up.  

1 hour ago, mrcat1990 said:

Won't be televised as champions league blackout in effect.

Fuckin boooooooooooo

3 hours ago, Pet Jeden said:

An absolute passenger all season. Don’t know what Levein is doing persisting with him, other than trying to justify how clever he was to sign him despite everyone thinking WTF ? Keena, Clare, Wighton or the out on loan MacDonald could all do the feed-off Uche role but would at least pose an occasional threat to the opponents goal.

When he signed the 35 year old Levein said "If I get 20 games a season out of him I'll be happy", Thanks to Lafferty's departure  injuries for Naismith,  injuries for Uche and Wighton failing to impress Maclean has already played in 28, starting in 23.

He was supposed to be cover but has ended up as a regular

Archived