INDEPENDENT GROUP

MEADOWXI

9 hours ago, yoda said:

Things went to shit when Gordon Brown apologised for calling a (racist) granny a racist. 

That was bad, but he lost a few when he pretended to like Arctic Monkeys to some students. I blame his advisors. He'd have had far more respect if he'd said they were shite and he still listened to his old Jethro Tull albums.

Ian Austin voted for the Brexit deal, TIG seems like the wrong place for him.

IIRC the handful of Labour MPs that voted for the deal had ties to “Labour for Israel” so it does make sense that someone who voted in favour might end up in the independent group.

Besides, as the deal was proposing a fairly soft Brexit there were a handful of people on the remain side who backed it since it’s seen as a better alternative to a no deal.

14 minutes ago, Pauli said:

Both barrels...

I wouldn’t want Galloway defending me; even if every word he says is true it’s tainted by who he is.

It’s like Tony Blair devaluing a second Brexit referendum my supporting it.

After the 2017 election Corbyn had 262 seats, he's now down to 247 without losing a by-election.  His PLP is smaller than the one Brown bequeathed to Milliband. 

Edited by renton

9 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Aye but they will take all the splitter seats back quite easily so it's a false figure.

In a moment of national crisis, the government in a state of rigor mortis and the leader of the opposition is leaking MPs at the rate of one a day.  As a matter of optics, it doesn't exactly make him look like a leader capable of building a ruling coalition - and I don't mean that just in terms of parliamentary mechanics, but in the sense of legitimacy of ruling over the broad coalition of interests that make up the nation. Right now he looks like the head of a faction losing it's head. 

I wouldn't be so sure about him taking back the splitter seats at this point, because he doesn't look like  a prime minister in waiting, traditionally one of the big metrics that voters assign themselves when considering a next GE.

On the odd occasion I get myself to an away game and it happens to be against a bottom six or lower side. There comes a moment when the home team will make a substitution, usually bringing on a player that few people have heard of. At this point as the stadium announcers names the said unknown player, when the gammony Hearts supporting da's weigh in with their incredibly tedious habit at letting out a high pitched 'who?!' at whoever it is as they guffaw at their own wit and I die inside a little bit.

This is exact thought and noise I keep hearing in my head every time another non-entity MP defects to this 'party.'

Edited by the jambo-rocker