The 'Tremendous' Tales of Tightfistedness Thread

Mate of mine used to be the manager of a paint shop in Liverpool back when the company was sponsoring Liverpool FC. Part of the sponsorship deal was the players could get a pot of paint or two if they were doing any re-decorating. Two Scottish internationals used to turn up seperately every week accompanied by a painter with his van and they would literally fill the van. Full pallets at a time. At first my mate would phone his boss for permission but was told to shut up and not cause a fuss. 

You'd think these millionaire players wouldn't worry about money so much but they were absolutely shafting the sponsors. 

3 hours ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Apologies if it's been mentioned before, but there was the story of the Man U player (can't remember which one) who used to milk his fellow players (MATRON!) on the way back from away games.

They would stop at a chippie, he'd collect cash from the rest of the players for their grub, go in to get the food, then pay by cheque, in the expectation that the shop owners would never cash it as it had the player's autograph on it. 

Tight or clever? Both?

Nick Faldo used to always write cheques for his green fees for exactly the same reason.

7 hours ago, Barry Ferguson's Hat said:

I'll regularly pay financial subordinates (which is the vast, vast, vast majority of people) to act in demeaning ways for my own amusement.

That is the classiest way I've heard someone say they subscribe to a lot of people on OnlyFans.

Either that or...

One from today.

The wife and I went to The Range in Falkirk. Parked the car, we were walking to the shop. An old couple came out of the shop heading our way. The wife of the old couple had a walking stick but the guy seemed spry.

The old woman saw a 5p piece on the ground. She looked at us, looked at it, then put the base of her walking stick right on it. She then shouted her husband, who was a couple of steps ahead, to cone back and pick it up for her.I

Now, my wife has some form here. Discretion was not present. Walking last them, well within earshot of them, she started.

"Five pence! Five fucking pence! She put her stick on five fucking pence! She thought we were going to dive down for five fucking pence!" And so on. 

Normally I would be embarrassed. But I just burst out laughing. I couldn't believe what I saw myself.

14 hours ago, Newbornbairn said:

Mate of mine used to be the manager of a paint shop in Liverpool back when the company was sponsoring Liverpool FC. Part of the sponsorship deal was the players could get a pot of paint or two if they were doing any re-decorating. Two Scottish internationals used to turn up seperately every week accompanied by a painter with his van and they would literally fill the van. Full pallets at a time. At first my mate would phone his boss for permission but was told to shut up and not cause a fuss. 

You'd think these millionaire players wouldn't worry about money so much but they were absolutely shafting the sponsors. 

Am guessing Nicol and Gillespie? 

15 hours ago, Newbornbairn said:

No excuse but tbf ,back when Liverpool were sponsored by crown, players weren't unimaginably wealthy like they are now.

Nevertheless,what they were doing sounds almost fraudulent 

10 hours ago, scottsdad said:

One from today.

The wife and I went to The Range in Falkirk. Parked the car, we were walking to the shop. An old couple came out of the shop heading our way. The wife of the old couple had a walking stick but the guy seemed spry.

The old woman saw a 5p piece on the ground. She looked at us, looked at it, then put the base of her walking stick right on it. She then shouted her husband, who was a couple of steps ahead, to cone back and pick it up for her.I

Now, my wife has some form here. Discretion was not present. Walking last them, well within earshot of them, she started.

"Five pence! Five fucking pence! She put her stick on five fucking pence! She thought we were going to dive down for five fucking pence!" And so on. 

Normally I would be embarrassed. But I just burst out laughing. I couldn't believe what I saw myself.

I’ve noticed some older folk loose track of the value of money and kind on regress back to their childhood with regards to what value they place on money / items that were once of value.  I wonder how much 5p was the equivalent of back in the 40s?

28 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

I’ve noticed some older folk loose track of the value of money and kind on regress back to their childhood with regards to what value they place on money / items that were once of value.  I wonder how much 5p was the equivalent of back in the 40s?

@Granny Danger

16 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

I don’t know about the 40s but I think he likes to talk about the late 70s / early 80s quite a bit…….

That was when he retired and was able to pay attention to what was going on around him. 

1 hour ago, highlandmac said:

No excuse but tbf ,back when Liverpool were sponsored by crown, players weren't unimaginably wealthy like they are now.

Nevertheless,what they were doing sounds almost fraudulent 

Agreed, no point trying to gloss it over.  

3 hours ago, Swarley said:

Am guessing Nicol and Gillespie? 

That actually sounds like an 80's decorating company.

Nicol & Gillespie - Painting, Coving, Artexing.

Only finest Crown products used.

Won't be beaten on price.('cos we get the stuff for f**k all).

19 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

5p was the equivalent of a shilling in the 40s.  And the 50s and 60s.  Right up to decimalisation in 1971.

HTH.

7.23.jpg

13 hours ago, scottsdad said:

One from today.

3 hours ago, Shadow Play said:

They could have taken the charabanc to the Palais de Danse, bought 10 Capstan Full Strength and 2 milk stouts, taken the charabanc back home and still have enough left over from their shilling to get some chips.

Them were the days.........................................................

fast_show_unlucky_alf.jpg.f893307b23e6c4a84aff288d3c316c46.jpg

48 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

5p was the equivalent of a shilling in the 40s.  And the 50s and 60s.  Right up to decimalisation in 1971.

HTH.

I'm so old I can remember threepenny bits, second class stamps for two and a half pence and "ten pensi feeshel programmes".

In my youth in the 1960s, it was very common to get one penny coins with Queen Victoria on them.

11 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

I'm so old I can remember threepenny bits, second class stamps for two and a half pence and "ten pensi feeshel programmes".

In my youth in the 1960s, it was very common to get one penny coins with Queen Victoria on them.

Parklife