The 'Tremendous' Tales of Tightfistedness Thread

19 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

The latter are the perennial misery guts who are constantly under stress to keep up with the Jones'.

Joneses.

10 hours ago, SH Panda said:

As is the concept of 'keeping up with the Jones'.

Joneses.

4 hours ago, Molotov said:

Perhaps that’s just when you turn up? 😂 

I was in an oil and gas place doing an install and had to pay for food. Fair enough. The lassie made the food and put it on the counter. Card only. I had cash. She genuinely said "sorry about that, they should put a sign up" then lifted the jacket potato and tuna and binned it. :lol:

Wasn't kingswells, right enough.

13 hours ago, houston_bud said:

Many years ago when I was a student we were all tight b*****ds who'd try to a save a quid here and there for a bottle of frosty jacks.

The boys I lived with, and I, used to take turns of nicking bog roll from the uni library. Walk in with an emptyish bag, and take the big industrial, sandpaper like stuff from the dispenser and put it in our bag.

One of the lads was a bit sheepish but we eventually convinced him it was his turn. Unbeknown to him, another of his mates had lifted a book off the shelf and stuck it in the front part of his bag so it would set the alarm off as he walked out.

To be fair to the woman, she put the toilet roll back in his bag after she found the book.

An old lecturer of mine constantly stole the paper towels from the biology labs, and took them home to use as bog roll. He was quite proud of that.

3 hours ago, SH Panda said:

For office workers? There's a whole world out there I didn't even know.

Even the free fruit and bi weekly bacon rolls stopped about 7 years ago.

Service companies look to be where it's at.

As soon as our office in Aberdeen stopped the Rowies/Buttries I haven't been ( I'm officially Stavanger but on occasion I could go to the one in Aberdeen)

A group of us used to go on wild camping trips for one or two nights fairly regularly. One weekend I was going up for the second night only, and while stocking up at Tesco on the way I called the others to see if anyone wanted me to pick anything up. One of the guys, who I didn't know particularly well, asked me to get him a crate of Tennents,

At the campsite, upon handing over the merchandise and informing the person for whom I had done a kindly favour that it cost £9.50, he said he only had a tenner and asked if I had the 50p change. When I said I didn't, he put the tenner back in his pocket and said he'd ask around to see if anyone else had any. 

I never did get paid. A tenner was too small an amount to make a scene over, but enough for me to still judge the guy on this experience 20-odd years later.

4 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

A group of us used to go on wild camping trips for one or two nights fairly regularly. 

Naked men in a tent with Tennent's lager...wild!

42 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

A group of us used to go on wild camping trips for one or two nights fairly regularly. One weekend I was going up for the second night only, and while stocking up at Tesco on the way I called the others to see if anyone wanted me to pick anything up. One of the guys, who I didn't know particularly well, asked me to get him a crate of Tennents,

At the campsite, upon handing over the merchandise and informing the person for whom I had done a kindly favour that it cost £9.50, he said he only had a tenner and asked if I had the 50p change. When I said I didn't, he put the tenner back in his pocket and said he'd ask around to see if anyone else had any. 

I never did get paid. A tenner was too small an amount to make a scene over, but enough for me to still judge the guy on this experience 20-odd years later.

Similar, there was an old boy who was a sparky that drunk in the city centre. He got jumped one weekend and it proper fucked him to the point he had to give up work. He'd always ask for a tenner from about every table. 

I got on alright with him and was sat talking and offered him £20. He said tens enough. Conversation went on until he said "people don't chase you for a tenner" then smiled and winked. I began doubting he ever took a hidin'.

16 hours ago, SH Panda said:

I also want to know who in Kingswells is givng out free lunches, that's almost unheard of in O&G in the last decade. At this point, being charged to park your car in the company car park seems more likely.

10 hours ago, Derry Alli said:

Plenty of the Oil & Gas places give out free lunches. Only Baker and Schlumberger who I do work for have stopped it. 

6 hours ago, SH Panda said:

For office workers? There's a whole world out there I didn't even know.

Even the free fruit and bi weekly bacon rolls stopped about 7 years ago.

Service companies look to be where it's at.

3 hours ago, Derry Alli said:

I was in an oil and gas place doing an install and had to pay for food. Fair enough. The lassie made the food and put it on the counter. Card only. I had cash. She genuinely said "sorry about that, they should put a sign up" then lifted the jacket potato and tuna and binned it. :lol:

Wasn't kingswells, right enough.

2 hours ago, doulikefish said:

As soon as our office in Aberdeen stopped the Rowies/Buttries I haven't been ( I'm officially Stavanger but on occasion I could go to the one in Aberdeen)

Little did I realise this would be the pressing issue.

The company in question is an operator who puts a daily allowance on the employees lanyard which can be redeemed at their canteen. Anything above that amount has to be paid for by the person, and if you're a scummy outsider then you'll probably have to pay using your own card.

The great crime apparently is that it doesn't work on the office vending machine, almost as if they're incentivising the healthier guff.

We used to have one of our offshore pilots who would bring back food from the rigs for his dinner, this isn't that bad occasionally if he was on a late roster etc. What did make it tight fisted was that he would bring multiple boxes back on the Friday or during the school holidays for when he had his children staying.

A bloke at a leaving do at a place I worked was giving his farewell speech, talking about all the folk he'd miss, etc.

He kind of blew it when he ended up telling everyone that on the other hand he'd never have to buy another pen, notebook, post-it pad or envelope for the rest of his life.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, statts1976uk said:

We used to have one of our offshore pilots who would bring back food from the rigs for his dinner, this isn't that bad occasionally if he was on a late roster etc. What did make it tight fisted was that he would bring multiple boxes back on the Friday or during the school holidays for when he had his children staying.

A colleague of mine (Aberdonian) takes his dirty washing out to the rigs to save him running a wash at home.

I'd say "spare a thought for the security bag searchers at the heliport", but that would only encourage him (and many others).

Edited by Hedgecutter

Guy I work with was looking for a caravan electrical hookup cable, I had one that was really good quality but way longer than I needed for my camper. I brought it into work and asked if it was any good to him, he was delighted and asked how much I wanted. I told him he could have it for nowt, he was doing cartwheels at this. 
About a couple of months later my pals daughter got a flat with her boyfriend, they didn’t have a stick so as is usual we all gave something to help them out. Cable guy had an advert on the canteen wall selling a wee coffee table for £20, I contacted the lass and she said she’d be grateful for it, so I told the guy the story and offered him £15 for it, he said he’ll get £20 for it easy, so I bought it none the less as I told the lass I would gift it to her. 
I gave cable guy the cash and said “I notice I t’s not just your eyesight that’s short mate” but it was a woosh moment for him. 

17 hours ago, doulikefish said:

There's free food in the shared fridges at work, but I tend to stick to the cans of coke etc.

If you do need to economise, take stuff out the foodbank donations in supermarkets. You'll save time, money and the planet by cutting down on unnecessary journeys.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, Wacky said:

Guy I work with was looking for a caravan electrical hookup cable, I had one that was really good quality but way longer than I needed for my camper. I brought it into work and asked if it was any good to him, he was delighted and asked how much I wanted. I told him he could have it for nowt, he was doing cartwheels at this. 
About a couple of months later my pals daughter got a flat with her boyfriend, they didn’t have a stick so as is usual we all gave something to help them out. Cable guy had an advert on the canteen wall selling a wee coffee table for £20, I contacted the lass and she said she’d be grateful for it, so I told the guy the story and offered him £15 for it, he said he’ll get £20 for it easy, so I bought it none the less as I told the lass I would gift it to her. 
I gave cable guy the cash and said “I notice I t’s not just your eyesight that’s short mate” but it was a woosh moment for him. 

I once went down to see my mum where I was offered a handful of beers (probably Budweiser or MGD) from the fridge and my stepdad eventually asked if I was going to contribute anything towards them before I fired back up the road.

That's only half of it though; rewind about a fortnight before the above, and I had managed to buy this Burnley-supporting stepdad a ticket for the Aberdeen V Burnley game (albeit in the home end as Burnley allocation had long gone).  Probably not quite the European away fan adventure he dreamed of watching his team scrape a draw on the night in the back corner of the Dick Donald, but a chance to follow his team in Europe nonetheless.  Ticket was probably in the region of £30 and he never offered to give me anything towards it.  A fivers worth of beer gone from the fridge though? All over it.

Edited by Hedgecutter

26 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

There's free food in the shared fridges at work, but I tend to stick to the cans of coke etc.

If you do need to economise, take stuff out the foodbank donations in supermarkets. You'll save time, money and the planet by cutting down on unnecessary journeys.

May have to do that sarge....last trip to Stavanger a burger n chips at the hotel was £32