Joker

SweeperDee

3 hours ago, King Kebab said:

Do you mean the part when he was being interviewed in Arkham???

Yeah mate I never even thought to link it with him being in Arkham to be fair. I just wasn’t sure if it’s supposed to hint that the story is all in Arthur’s head or there is a deeper meaning to it

Edited by diamond_for_life

I enjoyed it (as much as it is possible to enjoy something that revels in how grim and dark it is) but probably not as much as people on here. I think, objectively, it isn't a modern classic or one of the best films of all time. It is, however, one of the best performances of the last decade - and I think Joaquin Phoenix probably has another two in that list.

I don't think it is possible to do a film about the Joker without making it incredibly dark and remorselessly bleak - that's the nature of the character.  But the film does take itself a bit too seriously at times, and I think Todd Phillips thinks it is deeper than it actually is. It never quite hits the "hard-hitting character study" mark - but I think that's just because he doesn't have that in his locker. It was difficult to not draw comparisons to Phoenix's work with both Paul Thomas Anderson and Lynne Ramsay, which isn't fair on Todd Phillips I suppose.

I personally found that all the criticisms levelled at it were mostly legitimate; on the other hand, the praise for it is also difficult to disagree with. A peculiar film in that regard.

Here's some spoilery stuff:

Spoiler

The Thomas Wayne subplot felt like a misstep for me. I know they needed a class enemy but the Waynes were a poor choice and one that doesn't really make sense beyond an exaggerated "OH LOOK THE JOKER AND BRUCE WAYNE ARE ENEMIES" nod to the audience. You could have scrapped that whole narrative and just kept the far more hard-hitting scene when the Waynes are murdered by someone inspired by Joker. The "Thomas Wayne is a billionaire c**t" felt like a mischaracterisation.

I think that was my main plot issue with the film. Other than that, the storyline of Arthur worked well and the adoption bit still avoids answering the "Yes but who actually is the Joker?" question. He's not Arthur because even Arthur isn't Arthur.

The last half-hour or so really stepped up several gears and that last quarter is as good as anything but to film over the last 20 years. The preceding hour and a half didn't do the end stretch justice IMO. But that could be because the escalation was just so dramatic and absolutely gripping compared to what happened before. Although, there is only so much "F.U.C.K! ISN'T THIS MISERABLE! HE IS A DAMAGED SOUL!" that you can take before the effect begins to wear off. I don't know, I can't really put my finger on why there were stretches when I was just waiting for something to happen.

This sounds quite critical but I did really enjoy it : it is a very good film. The laugh was terrifying and Phoenix put his own stamp on the character - it's difficult to compare between them as they're all sort of unique in their own way; Heath Ledger's worked for his character but wouldn't have worked in this film, likewise Phoenix's character and The Dark Knight.

I just wanted a wee The Killing Joke reference at the end, when he's in Arkham Hospital and is asked to tell a joke:

4373215-5745444125-14736.jpg

tl;dr - I liked it a lot, it's a very good film but not the second coming of Taxi Driver. Joaquin Phoenix is, as you'd expect, a revelation.

Edited by yoda

On 23/10/2019 at 16:15, quickoverayard said:

Was watching some stuff online that was suggesting the whole film itself and everything in it was all in arthurs head.

I think there’s definitely some of it in his head, particularly the end where he’s lifted up onto the car and stands like a hero, but not the whole thing.

On ‎21‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 23:01, yoda said:

Hide contents

The Thomas Wayne subplot felt like a misstep for me. I know they needed a class enemy but the Waynes were a poor choice and one that doesn't really make sense beyond an exaggerated "OH LOOK THE JOKER AND BRUCE WAYNE ARE ENEMIES" nod to the audience. You could have scrapped that whole narrative and just kept the far more hard-hitting scene when the Waynes are murdered by someone inspired by Joker. The "Thomas Wayne is a billionaire c**t" felt like a mischaracterisation.

I completely agree with this. I was thinking there was no real need for that.

On 26/10/2019 at 10:18, Honest_Man#1 said:

I think there’s definitely some of it in his head, particularly the end where he’s lifted up onto the car and stands like a hero, but not the whole thing.

Some people just want to watch the world burn. That's what I took out of that whole car ride scene. It was certainly a dream sequence. I thought it was a bit contrived, but it didn't take away from the overall quality of the movie.

I thought the same mate but watching them made me re think the whole film. They picked up on little thinks like the scene in the subway with the gun, shot it times since he got it only held 6, the scene in the house where people from his work came to see him when it was previously said they were all scared of him. I'll fire the link up its a good watch.