Cove Rangers Champions

EdTheDuck

Very good, Jimmy.

Caley, Thistle, Ross County , Elgin and Peterhead all leaving/disappearing weakened the HIghland League permamently, imo, there really aren't any places big enough to replace those size of teams. Any town that big already had a HL team.

I totally understand the frustration, since losing 4 of their biggest teams, the HL have stood still. Living in the glory days when the league WAS meaningful... it’s time to evolve!

How would a new 16 team “North League” actually look?

BoD, Lochee, Dundee x3, Montrose Roselea, Tayport(!?)...

How many HL teams would be interested? Where would they sit in such a league?!

8 minutes ago, Spyro said:

I totally understand the frustration, since losing 4 of their biggest teams, the HL have stood still. Living in the glory days when the league WAS meaningful... it’s time to evolve!

Tayport officially south of the Tay Bridge. But they are one of the clubs where it could be nudged a little further south with effecting anyone else.

None. Well, maybe Locos.

But that would be it.

Those teams would be below any tier 5 division to begin with, ideally forming a North-East division covering Moray, Aberdeenshire, Angus and Tayside (with the NCL taking areas west of that).  If the HL shed two teams at the bottom then they could filter into either of those leagues. 

It's clear though that there's no interest at SFA level to press for change in the north - which given the monumental horse's arse of things that Maxwell and Petrie are making in the south is probably no bad thing right now. 

I deliberately mentioned Tayport, but that’s a different discussion for a different thread!

What would be an ideal scenario is if the major teams got involved in a new league, the rest could conceivably split NW/SE and you would almost have the old HL back anyway, plus a couple of NCL teams... OK the standard would drop, but the competitiveness would be back

The current issues in the HFL show exactly why the boundary should not be moved north imo. If a proper pyramid with the current boundary (or possibly slightly further south to include Tayport for example) gets formed, the likes of Lochee & Broughty Athletic would really add to the HFL.

2 hours ago, Spyro said:

You mean since losing 5 teams spyro?

Inverness Thistle,Ross County,Caledonian,Elgin City and Peterhead.

3 hours ago, Jimmy Shaker said:

Only problem with that is, every SHFL club will apply, despite the disdain of some towards promotion.

Are you certain that every team would want to be playing regularly in Tayside? Maybe the Shire teams would be up for it, but I doubt the likes of Brora would be.

14 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Are you certain that every team would want to be playing regularly in Tayside? Maybe the Shire teams would be up for it, but I doubt the likes of Brora would be.

The clubs will go where the money is. Would Brora be better off in a league that involves Cove, Formartine, Loco and which might require a trip to Dundee (instead of Fraserburgh), or in a league where they play Clach, Nairn, Golspie, Tain and Alness?

1 hour ago, Whitburn Vale said:

You mean since losing 5 teams spyro?

Inverness Thistle,Ross County,Caledonian,Elgin City and Peterhead.

Slip of the tongue...it was actually Peterhead that I clean forgot about! I had one eye on the NW/SE split

3 hours ago, virginton said:

Those teams would be below any tier 5 division to begin with, ideally forming a North-East division covering Moray, Aberdeenshire, Angus and Tayside (with the NCL taking areas west of that).  If the HL shed two teams at the bottom then they could filter into either of those leagues. 

It's clear though that there's no interest at SFA level to press for change in the north - which given the monumental horse's arse of things that Maxwell and Petrie are making in the south is probably no bad thing right now. 

:lol:

25 minutes ago, Snafu said:

It should be how many Juniors are interested as you are talking about a potential level 6 in the pyramid rather than level 5 since the HL which is level 5 is already established. Not sure how this is going to be taken forward though, I get the impression the future for the clubs in the East Juniors north of the Tay they will be stuck in some sort of no mans land for as long as there is a resistance majority, that is even if the East Junior club want to join in the first place. It seems more likely that Junior football will continue for many years to come in Angus, Tayside and North Perthshire, clubs might see this as their only viable choice. However I do wonder if Roselea and the success they have had in their jump to the NJFA might tempt other east 'minnows' from that area to join the north juniors such as Brechin Vics or Forfar Albion.

I wouldn't mind seeing a form of promotion/relegation from the HL to a level 6 league but I doubt you will find 16 teams if any willing to make the jump from the East Juniors.

I would put the HL, or what is left, into tier 6 whether they liked it or not... and make it easier for smaller teams to enter

EoS and SoS have been moved from tier 5 to tier 6

Edited by Spyro

1 hour ago, Spyro said:

I would put the HL, or what is left, into tier 6 whether they liked it or not... and make it easier for smaller teams to enter

EoS and SoS have been moved from tier 5 to tier 6

EoS and SoS were never Tier 5. It's something that was only created by the Lowland League coming into existence.

3 hours ago, welshbairn said:

To be fair, Brora (or Wick) to Dundee takes about the same as going to Aberdeen: anywhere from 3½-4½ hours. It's probably quicker to get from Brora to Angus as it is to get to Buchan. You don't go from The Highlands to Tayside via the A96 - unless the A9 snowgates are shut...

The ideal scenario would be the HL contracting to 16 clubs, and the North Juniors bolting on at tier 6, with there being a Highland, Moray, W. Aberdeenshire league and an Aberdeen City, South Aberdeenshire, Angus, Dundee, Perthshire League.

So, for instance, that would create at tier 6:

NW League: (Bold Teams Licensed)

1.  Lossiemouth (HL)
  2.  Fort William (HL)
  3.  Golspie Sutherland (NCL)
  4.  Nairn St Ninian (North SL)
  5.  Dufftown (North SL)
  6.  Invergordon (NCL)
  7.  Orkney (NCL) -  some form of travel expenses would be needed
  8.  Alness United (NCL)
  9.  Inverness Athletic (NCL)
  10.  Tain St Duthus (NCL)

With a league below that of the remaining Juniors/NCL.

And an Aberdeen/Tayside League:

1.  Banks O'Dee (North Superleague)
  2.  Lochee United (East SL)
  3.  Broughty Athletic (East SL)
  4.  Tayport (East SL)
  5.  Carnoustie Panmure (East SL)
  6.  Forfar West End (East SL)
  7.  Kirriemuir Thistle (East SL)
  8.  Downfield (East SL)
  9.  Bridge of Don Thistle (North SL)
  10.  Montrose Roselea (North SL)
  11.  Culter (North SL)
  12.  Dundee North End (East Prem)
  13.  Luncarty (East Prem)
  14.  East Craigie (East Prem)
  15.  Hermes (North SL)
  16.  Dyce Juniors (North SL)

Albeit it would need all the stakeholders to agree, and I couldn't imagine Fort William and Lossiemouth agreeing to go down a division.

11 minutes ago, ArabAuslander said:

The ideal scenario would be the HL contracting to 16 clubs, and the North Juniors bolting on at tier 6, with there being a Highland, Moray, W. Aberdeenshire league and an Aberdeen City, South Aberdeenshire, Angus, Dundee, Perthshire League.

1.  Lossiemouth (HL)
  2.  Fort William (HL)
  5.  Dufftown (North SL)
  6.  Invergordon (NCL)
  8.  Alness United (NCL)

4.  Tayport (East SL)
  8.  Downfield (East SL)
  11.  Culter (North SL)
  15.  Hermes (North SL)

Albeit it would need all the stakeholders to agree, and I couldn't imagine Fort William and Lossiemouth agreeing to go down a division.

That might well be a major sticking point...

16 minutes ago, ArabAuslander said:

1.  Lossiemouth (HL)
  2.  Fort William (HL)
  5.  Dufftown (North SL)
  6.  Invergordon (NCL)
  8.  Alness United (NCL)

4.  Tayport (East SL)
  8.  Downfield (East SL)
  11.  Culter (North SL)
  15.  Hermes (North SL)

NCL already has 9 teams, so where are the rest in all this?