It's getting hot in here!

43 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

My post was more about the loss of business to the restaurateurs in the city centre but no matter. One up for the peepul it seems. 

I thought that was you?

Did you walk to Blythswood Hill, take the fine associated with your very lovely rr or opt for a planet friendly vehicle?

2 hours ago, alta-pete said:

The LEZ is a laudable goal but without a functioning economy the city centre is dead. Has anyone else been across Blythswood hill in the last few weeks?

Nothing but tumbleweed…

Hopefully we can add a guillotine to improve the ambience.

ETA: The idea that Glasgow city centre is any more or less deid because a bunch of morons aren't swanning in and out in their cars is absolutely hilarious btw. Glasgow Central would be a much more telling barometer. 

Edited by vikingTON

3 hours ago, alta-pete said:

I’ll out myself here. I drive a very lovely 2015 diesel Range Rover that is now non compliant with the Glasgow LEZ. I bought it in London a couple of years ago at a significant discount from similar cars up here as it did not comply with their local London LEZ rules. 

I was brought up, educated and have worked almost all of my life in Glasgow but, for the forseeable, all the money I have spent in the city centre businesses on coffees, lunches etc over the past 25 years is now getting spent outwith the centre.

The LEZ is a laudable goal but without a functioning economy the city centre is dead. Has anyone else been across Blythswood hill in the last few weeks?

Nothing but tumbleweed…

download.jpeg.jpg

1 hour ago, sophia said:

I thought that was you?

Did you walk to Blythswood Hill, take the fine associated with your very lovely rr or opt for a planet friendly vehicle?

I did not. I left the car outside the LEZ. The carbon footprint created by my car is not going to be diminished by me scrapping it early though. 

2 hours ago, TxRover said:

Only gonna cool down to about 27C tonight. Was up to 39 this afternoon.

Had this a little while ago, seen this size once in the previous 30 years, had three now in the last two years:

IMG_5776.thumb.jpeg.1af1d0477a28d7cedb4adf8d0eb08ab5.jpeg

Can we have it in centimetres please. 

On 24/06/2023 at 23:29, alta-pete said:

I did not. I left the car outside the LEZ. The carbon footprint created by my car is not going to be diminished by me scrapping it early though. 

LEZ is less about climate change and more about air quality. 300 premature deaths because of poor air quality seems the right thing to do to try and stop that happening particularly when Glasgow is well served by public transport links into the centre.

• 3 weeks later...

I never thought about it before but on the news they were talking about the rising temperatures and in areas/countries where the humidity is high. Then when air temperatures are rising well over body temperature it is dangerous due to the fact your sweat cant evaporate and you can overheat quite quickly. There must be a lot of areas/countries where these temps getting hit could be quickly severe in consequences, will there?

Edited by ScotiaNostra

31 minutes ago, ScotiaNostra said:

I never thought about it before but on the news they were talking about the rising temperatures and in areas/countries where the humidity is high. Then when air temperatures are rising well over body temperature it is dangerous due to the fact your sweat cant evaporate and you can overheat quite quickly. There must be a lot of areas/countries where these temps getting hit could be quickly severe in consequences, will there?

Yes but they’re mostly poor or speak foreign. I’d imagine some of the swampier bits of the US or damper bits of Spain will be on the news when it happens.

On 03/04/2023 at 12:30, Ross. said:

They do the same here. Still a pleasant surprise for me any time my train or bus runs late and the connection sits and waits until it comes in.

When I was working in Coleraine and bussing it, the connecting bus from our local town left dead on 6.15 pm, whether our bus arrived late or not. I eventually took to driving in and leaving the car in the car park, at least then I knew I could get home.

3 hours ago, coprolite said:

Yes but they’re mostly poor or speak foreign. I’d imagine some of the swampier bits of the US or damper bits of Spain will be on the news when it happens.

I'm just back from Galicia and it was a wonderful 25C during the day and 15C at night. They won't have anything to worry about then for thousands of years. 

The extreme heat in Spain occurs inland in the driest parts of the country, although 25-30C at night along the east coast cannot be fun. 

1 hour ago, Jacksgranda said:

When I was working in Coleraine and bussing it, the connecting bus from our local town left dead on 6.15 pm, whether our bus arrived late or not. I eventually took to driving in and leaving the car in the car park, at least then I knew I could get home.

Small things like this are a big part of the reason the UK is in the state it is.

47 minutes ago, virginton said:

I'm just back from Galicia and it was a wonderful 25C during the day and 15C at night. They won't have anything to worry about then for thousands of years. 

The extreme heat in Spain occurs inland in the driest parts of the country, although 25-30C at night along the east coast cannot be fun. 

Oh well, sounds like it's going to have to be Florida. Don't know much about them but they probably deserve it.