things that are most disappointing

3 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

I feel like there’s something wrong with me because I watch them and think they must be aimed at youngsters? How can adults like something like the avengers?

Why must they be aimed at youngsters? Why do you think adults can't like something like The Avengers?

It’s aimed at kids but I don’t see any attraction for adults other than ninety minutes of fantasy escapism. There’s zero depth to it and it seems like an easy thing to hash together and build on the characters featured rather than an actual adult plot like batman.

If I was ten I would love it, all your favourite characters in a film plus alien robots and explosions. I do like the occasional superhero film but this was like a music video.

4 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

It’s aimed at kids but I don’t see any attraction for adults other than ninety minutes of fantasy escapism. There’s zero depth to it and it seems like an easy thing to hash together and build on the characters featured rather than an actual adult plot like batman.

If I was ten I would love it, all your favourite characters in a film plus alien robots and explosions. I do like the occasional superhero film but this was like a music video.

As I expected; pish, and sanctimonious pish at that with an attempt to belittle and seem superior.

Also shows that you haven't seen many, if any, of the films in question and are once again making things up.

If they're good or not is of course subjective, but I'm not sure that kids would really get issues like PTSD, commentary on terrorism and government, environmental issues, exploring the dark side patriotism and how it can be exploited, racism, loss, grief and plenty of other things that are explored in many of these films. So the films are aimed at a wide audience, kids included, but not solely at kids, and are not the daft wee children's movies you try to make out, and folk who watch them aren't the brainless morons you're trying to make out.

It would be very easy to say that the Batman films are aimed at kids. A rich guy dresses as a bat and, with the aid of loads of cool gadgets, beats up bad guys. There's lots of explosions and some car chases. Mindless escapism with zero depth. How can any adult like that?

I think that most people could see that the new batman films were of the highest quality and featured great actors and storylines. The avengers is quite highly rated also and that’s why I found it disappointing. Most of the new films are ok but seem like they are cash cows exploiting the superhero fan base who are quite fanatical about these characters. It’s the same thing with Star Wars. Churning out CGI pish that cleans up at the box office. I did like the superhero films from the 80s because it wasn’t just a giant CGI shitfest. It just feels fake and I can’t relate or get into most of them.

I did like the first Ironman, deadpool, all the new Batmans, watchmen, dredd, blade so it’s not a superiority or looking down on others thing. That’s why I posted it in this thread because I watch batman then think I will give avengers a go and turn it off after 30 mins. Fair enough if people like it, adults like these films because it reminds them of youth and nostalgia. If you think it is deep and interesting then fair enough that’s up to you.

2 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

While we're talking about Superman, the guy who played him in the 90s series with Teri Hatcher has turned into a massive racist so that's quite disappointing. I suppose being typecast and chucked on the tip can turn you bitter.

The Curse of Superman strikes again. 

Dean K-K-K-ain then? 

We're talking about the Christian Bale Batman films when we say newest ones right? They're fucking fantastic. Haven't watched the Afflick one yet but I hate it when they redo something so soon after.

I hope so. The Christopher Nolan/Christian bale batman trilogy is terrific. Films I can and have watched repeatedly, and I’m not a superhero film man.

Batman vs superman was piss and felt more like classic ‘comic book’ film again.

4 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Per the discussion above. I feel sorry for people who as an adult have zero ability to suspend reality and enjoy a film that maybe couldnt happen EXACTLY as shown.

My dad can't watch any film set in space without complaining that you wouldn't be able to hear any sound nor would the ships need to bank around a planet.

22 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

I remember walking through Amritsar a few year back to get to the Golden Temple thingy.  One of the guys I was with had the phone out filming the whole walking experience but just randomly shoving his phone in all sorts of directions at breakneck speed.  Afterwards I asked him if his video was any good.  "Nah, it was shite, complete waste of time.  Too jerky". So not only had he missed out on just enjoying a stroll, he couldn't even look back on the experience.  Fucking muppet. 

This mirrored my experience of Versailles and made it intolerable - after a 2.5hr queue as well.

Ensure you smell the daisies, as we'll all be pushing them up soon enough.