what hobbies do you like doing

Ylf

14 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

I've lost days of my life looking at Google Earth.

One of the practical things I use it for however is hunting for caves in Scotland (i.e. things such as old river features and collapsed depressions that aren't particularly obvious from walking around moors at ground level).  Interesting to then visit the site, dig out and discover bits of the country that nobody has ever set eyes on before before, some of which are rather pretty.  Most of the time it turns out to be a hole hopelessly choked with peat/boulders or just a grouse butt (at least you get a walk out of it), but every now and again it turns out to be an undiscovered gem.

Caving / potholing is my main hobby so I spend plenty of time wandering & crawling around underground Scotland (largely NW Highlands, Skye & random bits of rural Perthshire).  Basically, I like dirty weekends exploring tight wet holes (Ken W gif incoming...)

13 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

Should post some photos, sounds interesting.

10 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

This chamber is in Assynt, north of Ullapool (I didn't find it though).  You could fit the whole of Edinburgh's Usher Hall inside this one chamber that's at the end of a 3km long cave.

Ivan-Young-The-Great-Northern-Time-Machi 

Some 'interesting' bits to negotiate in order to get down to it mind, but if you know how to clip a karabiner onto a bit of rope then it's fairly straight forward.  Basically a more interesting combination of climbing/scrambling/canyoning (with the occasional, but not hugely difficult, bit of awkward squeezing).

IMe9DYA_uN0z4U76PomhWtB2MvLJihvubZ24sdg6 

This is amazing. You do any photo social media cos I wanna stalk you.

Don't know if it counts as a hobby but I've become utterly obsessed with whisky over the past couple of years. So spend a lot of time and money trying new stuff, visiting distilleries, going to tastings and festivals etc. I'm trying to build myself a nice wee collection but I keep drinking it! 

I'm incredibly boring I'm finding.  I really just play golf.  Been thinking about getting a bike too. 

Can't even be bothered reading anymore, bought about a dozen books I used to love about six weeks ago, not touched one of them yet.  I wanted to buy two books on the JFK assassination I've always wanted, but their prices were unbelievable. 

Both second hand paperbacks, one the cheapest was £74, the other the cheapest was £193.  For second hand paperbacks.  Oh well.  I could explain why that is, but nobody really cares so I won't bore you with the details. 

Edited by Kuro

22 hours ago, Trackdaybob said:

I used to do the Airfix thing. Looking to get back into it and have bought a few kits.

Most of my spare time is spent with the bikes. Either in the workshop, at trackdays or race meetings.  Next one is 18/19 May at East Fortune.  

HqDehEW.jpg

UGlfPQS.jpg

8bUv3Va.jpg

nf1FGfP.jpg

5DRl4hO.jpg

TuN9QxL.jpg

moto

th.jpeg.jpg

Guest Moomintroll
I'm incredibly boring I'm finding.  I really just play golf.  Been thinking about getting a bike too. 
Can't even be bothered reading anymore, bought about a dozen books I used to love about six weeks ago, not touched one of them yet.  I wanted to buy two books on the JFK assassination I've always wanted, but their prices were unbelievable. 
Both second hand paperbacks, one the cheapest was £74, the other the cheapest was £193.  For second hand paperbacks.  Oh well.  I could explain why that is, but nobody really cares so I won't bore you with the details. 
Pepp, join a library & request the books if they don't have them there.

3 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:
6 minutes ago, coprolite said:
I indoctrinate weak minded people into a cult. 

Tell me more, I am intrigued.

I've discovered the underlying truth behind all of the main religions and can bring fulfilment and harmony to the world.  

You probably won't be receptive to the truth, with all your possessions and sexual hang ups getting in the way. 

I can help you find the truth. 

1 hour ago, Moomintroll said:
14 hours ago, Kuro said:

Pepp, join a library & request the books if they don't have them there.

I don't think that would work would it?

Started looking into my family history over the past year, managed to get back to the early 1700s on both sides. Found out some really interesting stuff, especially with a number of ancestors migrating from Scotland during and shortly after the clearances. 

Guest Moomintroll
If the council has them in one of their libraries, they will transfer it to your one for you, i have done it in the past in North Ayrshire & Glasgow.

Just now, Moomintroll said:
7 minutes ago, Kuro said:

If the council has them in one of their libraries, they will transfer it to your one for you, i have done it in the past in North Ayrshire & Glasgow.

I'll give it a try I suppose.  Thanks very much.