what hobbies do you like doing

Ylf

11 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

I need a new hobby. Contemplated doing some indoor wall climbing but it seems pretty expensive. 

What about running? It’s surprising how quick you can move from being near-death after a 200 yard jog to being able to enjoy just heading out for a run for 40 mins or so. Good for mind and body etc.

I always considered it but seeing as I'm an early thirties year old man - and swimming lessons would be, I'd assume, mostly young children - I feel it would be at best incredibly awkward. 
Boxing m9. That's what you need. Training just as hard and intense as you can manage, then as restrictions lift, the puzzle of avoiding getting smashed in the pus, and the thrill of smashing some c**t else in the pus, and also being pals with them.

14 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Boxing m9. That's what you need. Training just as hard and intense as you can manage, then as restrictions lift, the puzzle of avoiding getting smashed in the pus, and the thrill of smashing some c**t else in the pus, and also being pals with them.

@Mr. Alli should consider Muay Thai. All the above but harder, with kicks, knees, elbows and may even  shown how to use a headbutt. Only as self defence of course.

3 hours ago, budmiester1 said:

I’m not that lucky 😂😂.  As for the bottle it’s so much better than the good old polystyrene cement you used to use, cleaner finish and easy to use. I started off modelling on Airfix and the likes but I wanted to build larger working models so progressed to bigger kits that can be R/C’d . Both of boats are R/C with a basic 2 channel system. The next one on the way is a 1/200 HMS Hood at  1.3m long.

I used to make free-flight gliders and rubber-powered aircraft in my youth, and initially, on my return thought I might go down the r/c aircraft route. A visit to a Large model Association show at Elvington put paid to that - you'd need to be running a drug cartel to afford that malarkey, now that jet engines appear to be the way to go, unless you fancy electric (and I really didn't).

1 hour ago, budmiester1 said:

Sorry no, top and bottom HMS Javelin, middle HMS Cossack both fleet Destroyers WWII. Javelin survived the war but Cossack was sunk in the Mediterranean in 1941

Cheers, a lot of work and patience in them.  I thought that middle ond looked more of a cruiser size,  really nice models.

15 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

Aye, contemplated downhill biking but it's stupidly expensive. Hillwalking is fine but I'm wanting something a bit more vigorous. 

Climb a hill with yer bike? Bike down?

Edited by Busta Nut

11 minutes ago, bennett said:

Cheers, a lot of work and patience in them.  I thought that middle ond looked more of a cruiser size,  really nice models.

The middle one is  Tribal class and were very close in displacement to light cruiser classes of the Thirties 👍

14 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

Aye, contemplated downhill biking but it's stupidly expensive. Hillwalking is fine but I'm wanting something a bit more vigorous. 

Fishing.

Nothing more exhilarating than a nice fish stripping off your backing line.

15 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

I've recently got back into a bit of trail riding/downhill stuff. Only got a hardtail but that's mostly because I hate the fannies with their 10 grand full sus electric bikes wearing all their gear and saying dude after every sentence. Give me a helmet, a bike with a suspension fork and I'll try and do anything these c***s will. Should maybe reign it in a bit as a guy from work is still off after a bad crash about 6 weeks ago, collar bone sits a good few inches lower on one side now after going head first over his bars :lol:

Edit; anyone after a decent deal just now Chain Reaction Cycles Belfast are selling Ragley Marley's for 6-700 quid and Vitus Mystiques for just over a grand, ex shop demos. Very decent prices for new bikes.

Edited by tree house tam

3 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

the thrill of smashing some c**t else in the pus, and also being pals with them.

Whenever I see UFC, I love it how they try to brutally punch and/or kick the f*** out of each other on the ground no holds barred, and then fist pump at the final bell and walk off as if they're about to head off to the pub together. 

3 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Whenever I see UFC, I love it how they try to brutally punch and/or kick the f*** out of each other on the ground no holds barred, and then fist pump at the final bell and walk off as if they're about to head off to the pub together. 

The reality is that most of them get on well. Pre fight needle is almost always for the cameras. There is a huge culture of respect among fight gyms which makes them fun places to be and IMO a very respectable and honourable hobby. Dick heads who just want to hurt people tend to be humiliated and sent packing. 

14 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

I always considered it but seeing as I'm an early thirties year old man - and swimming lessons would be, I'd assume, mostly young children - I feel it would be at best incredibly awkward. 

I could barely swim 7 years ago (could almost do 2 lengths but with head all over the place out of the water)  I got swimming lessons for christmas - 5 lessons.  It was really tough to begin with but perseverance enabled me to complete the 3.8km swim in Ironman 18months later (that was the reason for the lessons and motivation)

Since then I have done around 6 marathon swims (over 10km - longest swim was 12km without stopping last year).  Went to a Masters club (thats coached sessions for adults of all abilities) twice a week and swimming improved dramatically.  Also do a lot of open water in rivers, lochs and sea......these are the best swims.  Highlights have been swimming with seals , seeing puffins and going into caves you would never know existed otherwise.

Lapsed a fair bit this year but started with two masters clubs (one evening each a week) in past 6 weeks to get fit this winter and enjoy more open water next year (although I will do odd sea swim in winter.

Oh, as for comment re too old to take lessons....my first lessons were at 49.

It's pretty mad how many adults can't swim, always surprises me. What did you do when you were kids? If we weren't at the pool or on our bikes n shit we were out swimming in rivers and up to no good. Did the school not take you for lessons?

My youngest had his first lesson in the pool last Sunday, he's 7 months old.

46 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

I could barely swim 7 years ago (could almost do 2 lengths but with head all over the place out of the water)  I got swimming lessons for christmas - 5 lessons.  It was really tough to begin with but perseverance enabled me to complete the 3.8km swim in Ironman 18months later (that was the reason for the lessons and motivation)

Since then I have done around 6 marathon swims (over 10km - longest swim was 12km without stopping last year).  Went to a Masters club (thats coached sessions for adults of all abilities) twice a week and swimming improved dramatically.  Also do a lot of open water in rivers, lochs and sea......these are the best swims.  Highlights have been swimming with seals , seeing puffins and going into caves you would never know existed otherwise.

Lapsed a fair bit this year but started with two masters clubs (one evening each a week) in past 6 weeks to get fit this winter and enjoy more open water next year (although I will do odd sea swim in winter.

Oh, as for comment re too old to take lessons....my first lessons were at 49.

That's genuinely impressive and good inspiration for a (younger) adult who would like to get better at swimming - cheers!