what hobbies do you like doing

Ylf

13 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

I need a new hobby. Contemplated doing some indoor wall climbing but it seems pretty expensive. 

I tried that one time and I was shocked how much of a weak human being I am. I do some weight lifting and I'm relatively in shape so I thought it would be easy but that day I discovered muscles I never knew I had. 

19 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

Aye, contemplated downhill biking but it's stupidly expensive. Hillwalking is fine but I'm wanting something a bit more vigorous. 

A pal of mine did kayaking for a while but seem to remember you don't have a car and having to hire a car that could take a kayak is probably too much of a pain in the hoop.

8 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

For those who expressed an interest earlier in the thread, myself and others had some lockdown-compliant success probing some holes in Perthshire and Applecross earlier in 2020. Digging out what looked like an insignificant grassy hole turned out to be a 50m+ cave through stripy stuff with bits large enough to walk through, but with the occasional squeeze bit between chambers. The Applecross find on the other hand involves a couple of hundred metres of decorated passage.

Photos in spoiler, and for avoidance of doubt, those are not my wellies. Honest.

Reveal hidden contents

Perthshire:

IMG_0698.jpg.e75849608d5c4fe7cf7fd1b28075036e.jpg

IMG_0697.jpg.de9ec7c0d98b0c7d2a354fe180ee384d.jpg

IMG_0700.thumb.jpg.f201fca550f448c09a12d599b1a97680.jpg

Applecross:

IMG_0696.jpg.d7ecf9ec58f94c07a91ec244b7a6ab98.jpg

1 hour ago, Stormzy said:

I tried that one time and I was shocked how much of a weak human being I am. I do some weight lifting and I'm relatively in shape so I thought it would be easy but that day I discovered muscles I never knew I had. 

I'm rubbish at indoor climbing walls, although I used to frequent Hadrian's Wall in Falkirk when I was younger (great name for a wall in a town along the route of the Antonine Wall, huh).  I'm convinced that there are wee finger-breaking sticky-out handholds in those places that don't actually resemble any rock outcrop in the natural world.

I also get this annoying thing whereby my leg will start suddenly shaking if put into certain positions.  To the random bystander, it probably looks like I'm utterly terrified, even though I'm not.

Far prefer scrambling, or better still, traverses above deep enough water that are high enough to put you off falling, but not high enough to injure you (e.g. Arbroath cliffs, admission free).

14 minutes ago, 101 said:

Learn to swim that's a hobby

I always considered it but seeing as I'm an early thirties year old man - and swimming lessons would be, I'd assume, mostly young children - I feel it would be at best incredibly awkward. 

2 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

I always considered it but seeing as I'm an early thirties year old man - and swimming lessons would be, I'd assume, mostly young children - I feel it would be at best incredibly awkward. 

Nah you can get one to one adult lessons or the Cooncil Dundee ones are with low numbers. http://www.leisureandculturedundee.com/leisure/olympia/lessons

Never too late to learn

4 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

Adult only swimming lessons are relatively common to the best of my knowledge.  My local pool offers them anyway (at £25 p/m). 

I've never really grown up and still build model kits, it's just that they are a bit bigger and a hell of a lot more expensive.[emoji1]
894617A0-B076-4F5C-BE09-8ED720BDABE3.thumb.jpg.2e675755c12326b54078f889fe4af68f.jpg
62C2AC53-4FC8-48DE-978F-2C33B2C50E55_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.f7a4e13c7dd3984f05a6e8408b40807a.jpeg
86CF0FBA-DD78-4AD4-8BA1-AB2862A6F999.heic
C886EA50-ABED-4238-AF8C-D92AA969FE65.thumb.jpg.b09e97079280445d7de47fa56128528e.jpg
Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional. I'm loving the hobby now I've returned to it with the patience of maturity and an adult's disposable income. Mostly aircraft for me, with the odd car or motorbike to keep up the variety.
Some of the materials you can get these days make life a lot easier - none more so than that wee green bottle at the back of one of your photos there!
Nice work, btw.

7 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Mine occasionally actually buys the kits for me!emoji3.png

I’m not that lucky 😂😂.  As for the bottle it’s so much better than the good old polystyrene cement you used to use, cleaner finish and easy to use. I started off modelling on Airfix and the likes but I wanted to build larger working models so progressed to bigger kits that can be R/C’d . Both of boats are R/C with a basic 2 channel system. The next one on the way is a 1/200 HMS Hood at  1.3m long.