European Election - 23rd May 2019

Enigma

21 minutes ago, DAFC. said:

So, you base your vote on an exceptionally small minority of a certain party being twats. Ooft. 

Nationalism can be incredibly divisive, I prefer to remain in the eu and uk so LibDems got my X

The targetting of a clearly ill, fine politician was beyond the pale.

What we have now with Holyrood is just fine.

Looks like the far right have been wiped out in Holland, might scrape one seat at most, from exit polls. Link needs translating. and I know f**k all about Dutch politics, but I think that's what they're saying.

https://www.nu.nl/europese-verkiezingen-2019/5906583/wat-zeggen-deze-europese-verkiezingen-over-de-nederlandse-politiek.html

6 hours ago, Jeff Venom said:

New member [ √ ]

Straight to politics board [ √ ]

UK fine as it is [ √ ]

Nationalism divisive [ √ ]

Cyber nats [ √ ]

My team: Scotland.

Aye, but who’s yer big team?

And a red dotter. Classic Politics Forum nutter. Wonder which one he was before?

Edited by Scary Bear

Was speaking to my parents, both of whom are in their 70s now. Both voted Green apparently which is a relief - was worried they’d go Labour (as they have most of their lives) but both are very pro-EU.

17 hours ago, welshbairn said:

You don't know what procedural changes were suggested and they were told by the Government that we wouldn't be involved in the election.

It doesn't matter if we know what was proposed or not, this election was always going to have to rely on the additional form of verification for EU citizens.  However, we can take a good guess at what was proposed since the EC outlined what the issues were and a possible measure to alleviate these in their 2015 report on the 2014 EU election.

I believe that there was no intention within the Tory party to take part in the 2019 EU elections so you may as well state that the EU elections are taking part as a result of the SNP, Labour and Tory MPs who couldn't find any of the numerous motions acceptable.

20 hours ago, strichener said:

It doesn't matter if we know what was proposed or not, this election was always going to have to rely on the additional form of verification for EU citizens.  However, we can take a good guess at what was proposed since the EC outlined what the issues were and a possible measure to alleviate these in their 2015 report on the 2014 EU election.

I believe that there was no intention within the Tory party to take part in the 2019 EU elections so you may as well state that the EU elections are taking part as a result of the SNP, Labour and Tory MPs who couldn't find any of the numerous motions acceptable.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/may/24/eu-elections-electoral-commission-eu-citizens-vote

4 minutes ago, sureiknow said:

Yes any EU resident in the UK should have had a vote if they renounce their vote in their home Country.

But!

Why were Scottish expats denied a vote in the Scottish Independence Ref by the Scottish Goverment?

Because all EU citizens are entitled to one vote in a European election. 

If I recall correctly, European citizens resident in the UK were denied a vote in the EU referendum, but were entitled to a vote in the Scottish Indyref.

Perhaps you might be better questioning Westminster's gerrymandering?

On 24/05/2019 at 07:23, dirty dingus said:

Get a polling card through the door with a unique number, log on and vote, simple. It's about time voting became a bit more 21st century. We do everything else online from banking, shopping, howling at the moon and watching hot ladyboys playing hopscotch. Last election 2017 just shy of 20% postal voted. I do the postal vote as it's convenient,   Make voting easier and more people will vote.

Any sort of computerised voting system would be a terrible idea - it is still far too easy to manipulate and people would lose even more faith in the democratic process.

9 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Any sort of computerised voting system would be a terrible idea - it is still far too easy to manipulate and people would lose even more faith in the democratic process.

The advantage is that more young people would vote, the lazy c***s. People mostly trust online banking, maybe some blockchain type security could be introduced. Hope they keep the current system alongside though, I like the ritual of going to the polling station, and my elderly mother can barely understand the postal voting instructions far less having to download an app.

16 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Estonia has online voting now I believe.  I mean, I *guess* you could make super duper secure, but I can't see there being any reason to go for it.  Is it really that hard to vote by post or turning up on the day?  It only takes five minutes (if that).

4 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

Estonia has online voting now I believe.  I mean, I *guess* you could make super duper secure, but I can't see there being any reason to go for it.  Is it really that hard to vote by post or turning up on the day?  It only takes five minutes (if that).

Some people can't vote because they work 18-hour days.