English Premier League 2019-20

4 minutes ago, IainMorton said:

So Mane watches the ball come over his head, it rolls down his body and hits his hand which does not move towards the ball at any time? What happened to the new "un-natural position" rule?

It’s any handball prior to a goal that is penalised, regardless of where the player’s arm is.

Under the new law the goal was rightly disallowed. But I’m not convinced it would have been overturned under the old version.

Regardless, the new law is far too severe (cf Man City v Spurs a few weeks ago). IFAB have over-reacted to a handful* of incidents where there was debate over whether or not the handball was deliberate.

*No pun intended. 

Edited by The Master

4 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

He’s gained an advantage from it hitting his hand that’s led to a goal. Clear handball. 

Was it deliberate? Quite obvious it wasn't. Did the ball move towards him and away from the defender after it hit his hand? No. It continued in the same direction it was on before it hit his hand. 

If that was on the half way line, it wouldn't have been a free kick. Basically just making a farce of the rules.

Edited by IainMorton

3 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Based on their new rule about handballs and goals that was always going to be overturned.

Yeah, at least the handball aspect of it is proving consistent. Even the smallest of glances off the arm are all being called. So can't really fault that goal being disallowed, even if it does seem somewhat petty.

The rest of its usage, though... not so great.

Was it deliberate? Quite obvious it wasn't. Did the ball move towards him and away from the defender after it hit his hand? No. It continued in the same direction it was on before it hit his hand. 
If that was on the half way line, it wouldn't have been a free kick. Basically just making a face of the rules.
They changed the rule Iain. Any handball involved in a goal is now automatically a foul.

I don't agree with it - but it's a thing now. And consequently that was always going to be overturned.

If that was on the half way line, it wouldn't have been a free kick. Basically just making a farce of the rules.
They changed it. If it touches an attckers arm its a foul. No deliberate, body position etc comes into it. Attcking handball is a foul end of story.

Just now, pandarilla said:

They changed the rule Iain. Any handball involved in a goal is now automatically a foul.

I don't agree with it - but it's a thing now. And consequently that was always going to be overturned.

Fair enough. Just watching the replay again and I'd be raging just now if I was a Liverpool fan.

So Mane watches the ball come over his head, it rolls down his body and hits his hand which does not move towards the ball at any time? What happened to the new "un-natural position" rule?
In the EPL if the ball touches the hand or arm of an attacker and a goal follows the goal isn't allowed. It's that simple. Un-natural positions and accidental have nothing to do with it

Just now, pandarilla said:

The problem is that handball in the lead up to goals seems to have a significantly lower bar for VAR than any other (potential) foul.

Either the VAR should be allowed to automatically overrule the referee on any and all fouls in the lead-up to a goal, or none, leaving the final decision to the “what did you see?” protocol.