English Premier League 2019-20

Apparently there is the potential for Man Utd and Leicester to pull off a West Germany - Austria '82 on the final day if they both win their next game and Chelsea lose to Liverpool.
It would be worth it just to hear Andy Jacobs' meltdown on Talksport.

Andy Jacobs doesn't do meltdowns

That being said - it would be a delightful way to miss out for a scum club with scum fans.

1 minute ago, Ginaro said:

How clear is clearly offside? Because once you run the line alone to match up with the second last defender, then it's just a case seeing if the attacker breaks that line. Is it clearly offside if they are ahead by a few cm or does it need to be half a foot or even a whole foot?

Correct me if I'm wrong but in cricket umpire's call is used for Hawkeye's LBW predictions, which obviously has a margin of error for hitting the stumps after the ball has hit the batsman.

In football the technology for offside is dealing with footage from events that have happened. So there's much less margin of error as it's not making predictions. If you added say a 10cm buffer zone as a kind of linesman's call, you still need to work out if the player is offside by 10.1 or 9.9cm instead.

There’s no way of knowing that the still is at the exact moment that ball leaves foot. Based on the images we see it also seems debatable that the lines being used are even at the correct position and angle.

Saying there’s very little margin for error is a load of shite to be honest.

45 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

It's the bad decisions by poor referees in Stockley Park that are killing the game.

No its not. Its taking the game back 27 seconds to see a 'foul' up the other end of the park to then award a foul/penalty/goal that is ruining the game. You can't pick and choose which grievances to award. If it's being used for that then it has to be used for throw ins and corners etc. Anything that can have an effect on the game. 

2 hours ago, eez-eh said:

A quick look at an offside should be all that’s needed. If it isn’t clearly offside from that then just leave it.

The second they start getting out the protractor it can get in the fucking sea.

So a goal is scored in the last minute of a game to win the Premier League, it goes to VAR to check for offside. At first glance it isn't clear either way but 2 or 3 replays in 30 seconds would probably confirm whether the player was offside or not. What is the criteria which would decide whether this is looked into and reviewed properly? Do they have a 'quick look' as in one replay? 2 or 3 replays? If they see in the first replay a sign that he looks a fraction offside do they keep looking? Or just leave it, knowing there is a good chance that they have given a wrong decision despite having the ability to check it?

Not expecting you to answer this! And I don't know what the right solution is, but I think in reality this is what a 'quick look' actually means, it's not that simple.

I think the mistake at the start of all of this was the use of the 'clear and obvious error' criteria. If you take the time to review a decision then I think you need to commit to getting the right decision, regardless of how clear it is. The key decision in how VAR is used is how is it decided which decisions are reviewed? Once it has been decided to review something then to me you must commit and use the best technology available to get the right decision if you want to retain credibility. Otherwise you would end up with the bizarre situation where you could go to VAR, it would be able to tell in about 30 seconds whether it was the right decision or not, but instead have to just go with the referee/linesman's initial wrong decision simply because someone has decided (by an unknown but subjective criteria) that on first viewing he wasn't wrong enough for it to be eligible to overturn.

I don't know what the perfect solution is. But I don't agree with the game basically being refeered from Stockley Park. I would flip it and have the VAR officials there to only be contacted by the referee when he wanted assurance or a second opinion (a bit like in Rugby). Or have them there to provide the replays for the referee on the monitor - which we have but hardly ever gets used. Either way it would be the referee's call on all decisions. That system isn't perfect either, and actually you'd probably end up with less correct decisions overall because you don't have officials reviewing every incident. But I think it would help the flow of the game and retain credibility with fans, plus the vast majority of big decisions would still be correct as referees could check anything they had doubts over.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

12 hours ago, Bishop Briggs said:

It's the bad decisions by poor referees in Stockley Park that are killing the game. The officials on the pitch must have total control of the game.

The VAR officials should only ask the referee to review a possible error. The ref should then go to the screen beside the pitch, watch the replays and review his decision.

But doesn't that put intolerable pressure on the pitch ref?  "We think you've made a mistake, go and do it again."

The problem is not so much VAR as a) FIFA's mad over-strict handball interpretation change at the start of the season and b) not allowing a tolerance for error in offside.  The logic for the latter is that it is purely objective whether someone is offside or not - in theory.  But in practice it is impossible to gauge the exact moment of contact with the ball and to "draw the line" 100% accurately.

Easiest ways around are a) if it takes more than 30 seconds to suss out whether a decision is right or wrong, then leave it; and b) draw a thicker line for offside to take account of the 24 fps/uncertainty of exact contact &c.

We overlook not just when VAR was rightly used, but where a lack of VAR has caused injustices.