Killie's "European" Tour 2019/20

Guest JTS98

I think it was last summer I wrote a post about summer football, possibly the summer before. Doesn't really matter, it's the same story pretty much every year.

Basically, we have a choice. Either we accept that these results are a consequence of going into a European campaign as your first action of the season, or we change to playing through the summer to help our sides do better.

The evidence is there before our eyes every year. Playing these games against rubbish teams when our teams are short of match action levels the playing field and only benefits the weaker team. We'll continue to see these results until we change to a summer league.

For further evidence take a look at the League Cup results so far. We've seen St Johnstone lose to Montrose and Hibs draw with Stirling Albion. Unprepared teams levels the playing field.

The question is whether we care enough to change the league season around. I'm not too fussed either way. I find European football more and more of an irrelevance from a Scottish point of view. But there's no point in continuing the moaning when this happens every year. It's entirely predictable. It'll happen again next year.

All the hype about playing in Europe, just to get knocked out by a team who are playing in a competition with their 'colt' team. 

This has to be the worst attempt at playing in a European competition by any Scottish team ever. 

Anyone saying this is an embarrassment for Scottish football are miles off the mark. It doesn’t show ‘how far Scottish football has fallen,’ or anything of the sort. Kilmarnock are obviously a much better side than Connah’s Quay’s, as are every side in the top division, but Cup upsets happen. When Bradford best Chelsea on their own patch after being two goals down, it didn’t reflect badly on the top flight in England, everyone saw it as it was, a fluke result and an absolute minter for Chelsea. 

Reactionary drivel from fans of teams like Dunfermline who seem desperate to degrade the top flight at every opportunity, because they can’t get a sniff of getting near it. 

If this was a one off then your point would stand. It’s not though. The fact is that results like this happen pretty much every year to different Scottish clubs.

If it’s not Hearts getting knocked out by a Maltese team, it’s Rangers getting knocked out by a team from Luxembourg, it’s St Johnstone getting knocked out by a team from Armenia. I could certainly go on, Killie are just the latest entrant on the roll of shame. They won’t be the last either.

The reality is the record in Europe of Scottish teams outside the Old Firm is absolutely shocking in modern times. I’m not entirely sure the reason for this, but I suspect it’s mainly because our teams aren’t as good as we think they are.

1 minute ago, JTS98 said:

I think it was last summer I wrote a post about summer football, possibly the summer before. Doesn't really matter, it's the same story pretty much every year.

Basically, we have a choice. Either we accept that these results are a consequence of going into a European campaign as your first action of the season, or we change to playing through the summer to help our sides do better.

The evidence is there before our eyes every year. Playing these games against rubbish teams when our teams are short of match action levels the playing field and only benefits the weaker team. We'll continue to see these results until we change to a summer league.

For further evidence take a look at the League Cup results so far. We've seen St Johnstone lose to Montrose and Hibs draw with Stirling Albion. Unprepared teams levels the playing field.

The question is whether we care enough to change the league season around. I'm not too fussed either way. I find European football more and more of an irrelevance from a Scottish point of view. But there's no point in continuing the moaning when this happens every year. It's entirely predictable. It'll happen again next year.

It's a good point - Qualifying Round One is absolute kryptonite for  Scots clubs.

Nevertheless, I'm still against a summer calendar, purely down to the fact there are more other things to do of a weekend in the summer.  Maybe some kind of realignment to ensure we've played at least four domestic games before entering Europe is required - else UEFA, when they introduce the new tourney in a couple of seasons, push their calendar to the right a bit.

11 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

Anyone saying this is an embarrassment for Scottish football are miles off the mark. It doesn’t show ‘how far Scottish football has fallen,’ or anything of the sort. Kilmarnock are obviously a much better side than Connah’s Quay’s, as are every side in the top division, but Cup upsets happen. When Bradford best Chelsea on their own patch after being two goals down, it didn’t reflect badly on the top flight in England, everyone saw it as it was, a fluke result and an absolute minter for Chelsea. 

Reactionary drivel from fans of teams like Dunfermline who seem desperate to degrade the top flight at every opportunity, because they can’t get a sniff of getting near it. 

It was a really, really bad result for Killie and does not reflect well on our game given the Killie squad was a lot of current Scottish International players in it.

Struggling to see the Chelsea/Bradford comparison either mate ? The English propaganda machine used that to support their fantasy notion that the FA Cup is the greatest domestic cup competition in the world ??

Fair play to you for attempting to see this result as a positive for Scottish football, I wish I had your optimist view.

To my mind it’s a really poor result.

Just now, Grangemouth Bairn said:

It was a really, really bad result for Killie and does not reflect well on our game given the Killie squad was a lot of current Scottish International players in it.

Struggling to see the Chelsea/Bradford comparison either mate ? The English propaganda machine used that to support their fantasy notion that the FA Cup is the greatest domestic cup competition in the world ??

Fair play to you for attempting to see this result as a positive for Scottish football, I wish I had your optimist view.

To my mind it’s a really poor result.

It is a really poor result obviously but let's be honest there's a heavy dose of schadenfreude in this as opposed to genuine feelings of despair for the state of the game.

Why are St Johnstone fans trying to remind everyone that they too have absolutely embarrassed the country in failing in their quest to get through a European competition qualifying round? 

We know our place. We had some poor results however we have pulled off some very decent results against the likes of Rosenberg and Luzern which we deserve credit for.

This Killie result is nowhere near as bad as our exits from Europe. Alashkert was bad, but not as bad as this.

4 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

It’s obviously not a positive for our game, and is a poor result, but the opinion that it reflects badly on the whole game is not accurate imo, just as Saints knocking out Rosenborg reflected well on Saints and Saints alone, or Aberdeen knocking out that Croatian mob reflected well on Aberdeen. 

We will agree to disagree on this one buddy.

Killie are our 3rd best team and have a good profile just now due to great work down by Steve Clarke. 

This does not reflect well on our game sadly.

39 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I get the feeling that Hibs fans are really relieved about last night's result. As if we'll forget your humiliation.

Nope.

Getting horsed by a team who strolled to their league same season and put in a strong showing in the Champions League the following year is no real shame though, is it? We were dugshite that year so was always on the cards.  This/Maltese/Progres are all worse.  Ours not far behind though. 

Guest Bob Mahelp
15 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

It's a good point - Qualifying Round One is absolute kryptonite for  Scots clubs.

Nevertheless, I'm still against a summer calendar, purely down to the fact there are more other things to do of a weekend in the summer.  Maybe some kind of realignment to ensure we've played at least four domestic games before entering Europe is required - else UEFA, when they introduce the new tourney in a couple of seasons, push their calendar to the right a bit.

I've been bringing up this point for a few years now....every since we almost tripped over Fola Esch in fact.

These games are physically difficult, and more especially mentally so if you're a one-off European qualifier like Killie/Hibs/St Johnstone/Livi/Falkirk etc. 

I was worried when we drew a Finnish team that was in the middle of their season, because I recognised a potential banana skin. We got through (quite easily in the end), but I'd pretty much guarantee that every single Scottish side outside Aberdeen and the OF would have struggled badly against RoPS. 

A realignment of our season would be nice, but it won't happen. 

11 hours ago, cmontheloknow said:

Who got to the final of one of our cups last season...

I saw them very fortunately scrape past the worst Falkirk side that I have seen in 50 years supporting the Bairns.

Awful team, awful approach to the game and their management team are arseholes.

17 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Just as an aside, penny for the thoughts of Alessio, coming from his background, watching that football last night :lol:

He's responsible for that football last night - it was his job to set us up and he made a complete arse of it by picking the most passive midfield I've ever seen.

12 minutes ago, AberdeenHibee said:

Getting horsed by a team who strolled to their league same season and put in a strong showing in the Champions League the following year is no real shame though, is it? We were dugshite that year so was always on the cards.  This/Maltese/Progres are all worse.  Ours not far behind though. 

Aye but it was 0-7.

24 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

Imagine being Scottish, living in Scotland, and supporting a team from England because they win things, and then having the front to have a pop at Scottish football. Now that’s an embarrassment. 

win things? pretty sure most on here have banged on about liverpool winning f**k all most of the time? is it illegal in scotland to support the team your dad supports? and i will have a pop at scottish teams when they should be doing better than getting pumped off welsh teams.

and a bit rich coming from a guy who fantasises over ronaldo

1 hour ago, Buddie Holly said:

i'm laughing because all the killie fans had got carried away with their recent "success" and thought they'd become a big club.the fact that hundreds of them thought it ok to book for the next round before they had qualified is absolutely hilarious and leaves them open to ridicule for a long,long time.

got to say in their defence it never even occurred to me killie would balls this up,especially after the result last week,i think id have been getting my flights etc in early too

Imagine being out ticktacked by Alessandro Morrisiani 

“You have to be men to win games of football”.

IMG_5878.jpg

“Men don’t lose 6-0” - let’s wait and see what partizan take off them [emoji23]

Didn’t even know the correct team they were playing in the next round and needed corrected by the interviewer. [emoji23]

What an absolute [emoji348][emoji773]