Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

22 minutes ago, CM. said:

The part about the gap being smaller is something I've thought about since we lost to Clydebank in the cup. No denying that was a terrible result but maybe not as big a surprise as some folk (including me) made out. 

That sums Lennon up in a nutshell considering some of the garbage strikers he did sign. 

Went to see Clydebank about a month ago play Darvel. They had approx 800 plus there for a midweek game and had the same for a midweek v Talbot. They also managed to sign Nicky Low from Arbroath. 

Clydebank aren’t even necessarily big spenders either they are just a really well ran operation. Youth teams feeding into the first squad, good community engagement, an engaged fan base moving in the same direction. All the things Clyde lack at the moment 

Sort of thinking we should start hearing squad news as clubs training schedulw Tue/Thu and players normally brought in these nights for the standard talks at end o season...

I have a feeling Duffy will stay on in some capacity like DOF and Brian Mclean as 1st team coach..

Were obviously still paying Lennon contract. Duffy was brought in as no doubt financial reason rightly or wrongly and appointing within squad would probably fit the low budget as previous mentioned elsewhere..

All just my opinion before anyone kicks the cat

Edited by shawfield shed boy

44 minutes ago, Ocelot1877 said:

Went to see Clydebank about a month ago play Darvel. They had approx 800 plus there for a midweek game and had the same for a midweek v Talbot. They also managed to sign Nicky Low from Arbroath. 

Clydebank aren’t even necessarily big spenders either they are just a really well ran operation. Youth teams feeding into the first squad, good community engagement, an engaged fan base moving in the same direction. All the things Clyde lack at the moment 

Nicky Low only left us because we wouldn’t let him go to Morton and after he had played for us and Kelty, (who we loaned him too after the fall out because we did not want him going to any championship team) 2 teams in one season, the only way he could continue playing football was to go to Clydebank. 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

What may also be an issue for us and some other clubs is that signing  players now results in paying contracts from now till July / August when season starts that a fair few quid for skint clubs like ours. 

Not saying I agree with that policy or if indeed it is a thing but would not surprise me. 

24 minutes ago, FREDDYFRY said:

What may also be an issue for us and some other clubs is that signing  players now results in paying contracts from now till July / August when season starts that a fair few quid for skint clubs like ours. 

Not saying I agree with that policy or if indeed it is a thing but would not surprise me. 

To be pedantic you can't sign players "now" (other than renewing existing contracts of course). The window doesn't open until June 9th. Your point certainly stands though.

28 minutes ago, FREDDYFRY said:

I suspect this is why we hold off on looking to sign players. Why pay them x weeks @ x£ when we do not need them until early July at the earliest. You could argue, if indeed this is the thinking,  the cost of failure linked to this approach is much higher than an extra month's pay. 

5 hours ago, Ocelot1877 said:

Our recent players who have came in from that level- Cameron, Rodden, Scullion all look really really small on the park which is fine but none of them barring maybe scullion later on down the line had the strength to play at league  1 level. Cameron and Rodden were brushed aside, Rodden looked really really out his depth. 

Scullion was at Fauldhouse who aren’t even a WoS or EOS premier side but about three tiers below that so the fact that he has grown into a player we should be looking to keep for League 2 is a relative success.

Cameron, Olly McDonald and Hendji (I think) were all signed from a piss poor Gretna side that finished near the bottom of the lowland league and are likely far worse than many of the former junior teams queueing up below that level.

Rodden was a disappointing one, on paper a left back from the lowland league team of the season had a lot of potential, didn’t work out but we certainly didn’t persevere with him for long. By contrast, John Craig was very poor at first and has developed a fair bit during his time with us.

The obvious need is a goalscorer which is always the most difficult to get,  as bad as the team has been this season, if we had a regular goalscorer, we would probably still be in league 1.  Other teams on low budgets seem to be able to source and recruit far better than we have for a few years now, can’t remember the last time we had a successful recruitment, we always end up with the dross.

Duffy’s attempt at signing forwards has been a joke, he has left us with 2 awful signing for next season, P&B posters have been arguing if it’s better having someone who runs around like a headless chicken and offers you nothing, or a 6ft 2in guy who’s frightened from his own shadow, and offers next to nothing. There were times during the second half of the season, i was missing Rob Jones( another of Duffy’s signings )

Scullion has defo got better as the season went on. One thing was evident though, he always tried and gave 100% - something which is hard to say about the rest of the team. I've heard someone say this and I really agree with it. Would be keeping him for next season. 

1 hour ago, Clyde01 said:

Scullion was at Fauldhouse who aren’t even a WoS or EOS premier side but about three tiers below that so the fact that he has grown into a player we should be looking to keep for League 2 is a relative success.

Cameron, Olly McDonald and Hendji (I think) were all signed from a piss poor Gretna side that finished near the bottom of the lowland league and are likely far worse than many of the former junior teams queueing up below that level.

Rodden was a disappointing one, on paper a left back from the lowland league team of the season had a lot of potential, didn’t work out but we certainly didn’t persevere with him for long. By contrast, John Craig was very poor at first and has developed a fair bit during his time with us.

Scullion came onto a game and I think the main difference between him and the others was that he had to come through a bit of adversity. Costly own goals and errors etc. He took that experience and came out the other side. I would be surprised if he was a Clyde player next season however wouldn’t hate it. Don’t think the level of the West of Scotland/ East of Scotland matters if there is quality. Will be interested to see how Tiwi Daramola gets on at Kelty next season, he’s scored 80 goals in the East of Scotland third division this season. Was he ever on our radar? 

Cameron, McDonaldand Hendji all came from a Gretna side that scored 36 and conceded 107 in 34 games. Which begs the questions

1) what did Lennon see in them? 
2) Were the recruitment team consulted

3) why didn’t someone from the board step in and question we we were signing 3 players from a team that performed that badly.

all of which plays into my statement about needing to be able to identify qualities and have people who know that level. Something Lennon obviously didn’t know. 

Rodden I would file under on paper he had the potential to be the right signing but I feel if anyone had looked at him would have known he wasn’t currently ready for league 1.

Edited by Ocelot1877

1 hour ago, shawfielder said:

The obvious need is a goalscorer which is always the most difficult to get,  as bad as the team has been this season, if we had a regular goalscorer, we would probably still be in league 1.  Other teams on low budgets seem to be able to source and recruit far better than we have for a few years now, can’t remember the last time we had a successful recruitment, we always end up with the dross.

We had one but decided to sell in January. Now we are relegated and Jordan Allan spent the second half of the season mostly warming the bench. Hardly a success for either party. 

3 minutes ago, Clyde01 said:

We had one but decided to sell in January. Now we are relegated and Jordan Allan spent the second half of the season mostly warming the bench. Hardly a success for either party. 

Yet another terrible decision by our board to add to the multitude of others.

I would disagree on Allan being a terrible decision. There was money on the table, how much we will see, but the player obviously wanted to go as well. There is no point in keeping a player who wants to pursue a better move. 

17 minutes ago, SLClyde said:

I would disagree on Allan being a terrible decision. There was money on the table, how much we will see, but the player obviously wanted to go as well. There is no point in keeping a player who wants to pursue a better move. 

There's plenty of point in keeping a player when they're pretty much your only source of goals and you're flirting with relegation. Allan could well have been the difference between safety and relegation even if he was a bit pissed off at being made to see out the season with us. Unless you're suggesting he would stop putting any effort into games in a "GIRUY" to the board?

He would have got his move at the end of the season either way so I doubt this would have been the case. Not to mention the transfer fee was almost definitely in the 'buttons' category and not worth it in any way. 

Edited by RutherGlen

1 hour ago, Ocelot1877 said:

Cameron, McDonaldand Hendji all came from a Gretna side that scored 36 and conceded 107 in 34 games. Which begs the questions

1) what did Lennon see in them? 
2) Were the recruitment team consulted

3) why didn’t someone from the board step in and question we we were signing 3 players from a team that performed that badly.

all of which plays into my statement about needing to be able to identify qualities and have people who know that level. Something Lennon obviously didn’t know.

Whilst not debating whether or not he's good enough, it's worth pointing out Olly McDonald was at Gretna only from January 2022 onwards. Prior to that he was with Queen of the South (albeit mostly on loan to East Stirling and not playing regularly there) and, via a brief spell at East Kilbride, came up through Kilmarnock's development squad.

He's been with 'senior' clubs for most of his career. The notion he's been bouncing around Lowland League for an extended length of time before you is slightly misleading.

It's also worth pointing out that same Gretna team provided Benjamin Luissint to Annan who scored the two goals at Hamilton on Friday night and forced the 3rd at Annan. He's been a semi regular for Annan and done well there (also ex QoS). It's possible for a diamond to come from in among the rocks and stones.

3 hours ago, Clyde01 said:

3 hours ago, RutherGlen said:

Yet another terrible decision by our board to add to the multitude of others.

2 hours ago, RutherGlen said:

There's plenty of point in keeping a player when they're pretty much your only source of goals and you're flirting with relegation. Allan could well have been the difference between safety and relegation even if he was a bit pissed off at being made to see out the season with us. Unless you're suggesting he would stop putting any effort into games in a "GIRUY" to the board?

He would have got his move at the end of the season either way so I doubt this would have been the case. Not to mention the transfer fee was almost definitely in the 'buttons' category and not worth it in any way. 

Allan scored 1 goal in his last 9 appearances for Clyde. He'd had a wee purple patch at the beginning of the season but the goals had already dried up by the time you sold him (something which Falkirk fans don't seem to realise when they think he could have been the answer this season). By which point you were already adrift of 8th place. The only difference he may have made is in the play-off, but it made no difference to the course of the normal league season