Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

Just saw our two goals on Twitter. The Edinburgh defender claiming for offside for our first goal is laughable considering he’s still behind Rennie when he scores never mind when the ball was played.

Edinburgh consistently have the worst away following in the SPFL. Was there even double figures there?!

2 hours ago, BullyWeeStonehouse said:

Edinburgh consistently have the worst away following in the SPFL. Was there even double figures there?!

The team have given up the ghost for the season, and so have the fans! 

A deserved win yesterday and Good luck for the rest of the season. 

1 hour ago, RubyTuesday said:

The team have given up the ghost for the season, and so have the fans! 

A deserved win yesterday and Good luck for the rest of the season. 

We should look back to when Edinburgh City etc were heralded as replacing the "dead wood" teams like East Stirlingshire or Berwick Rangers.

I can never remember these so called dead wood teams bringing so few supporters as Edinburgh did yesterday.

We should note Edinburgh must be in their highest league position in their existence and still only bring almost single figure away support.

If I recall correctly they didn't bring much more to Broadwood for the play offs.

17 minutes ago, haufdaft said:

Hopefully we release the footage of Edinburgh's goal yesterday. Was it really a "good" goal or were we all correct in thinking it was offside.

They're on YouTube. To the surprise of no-one, it looks onside.

8 hours ago, BullyWeeStonehouse said:

Just saw our two goals on Twitter. The Edinburgh defender claiming for offside for our first goal is laughable considering he’s still behind Rennie when he scores never mind when the ball was played.

There was 4 fans and 5 directors (so I heard)

6 hours ago, David W said:

They're on YouTube. To the surprise of no-one, it looks onside.

I've now seen this from a couple of other angles on an actual screen rather than my phone, and I'm now swaying back to it being offside. It's a tough one for the assistant in fairness as it's hard to actually tell when the final touch comes off the Edinburgh player. That said, at the time it looked and felt like it was offside, so I'm surprised he didn't give it. 

It's certainly not as bad an error as the linesman not flagging Morrison off in the Falkirk game, which fortunately didn't lead to a goal thanks to McLean's brilliant block. Or the referee not giving a foul in Edinburgh's previous visit which led to the opening goal, which is easily the worst non-decision I've seen in some time.  

On 14/04/2023 at 19:56, Bully Wee Villa said:

Latest news with link to survey to fill in for people who live in the area...

https://m.clydefc.co.uk/news/2023/04/14/7400/#.ZDmhmeXTUzY

I asked my sister about this survey, (is it online?) 

She lives in the new flats in Orr St, which must be a few minutes walk away from the ground. 

Thing is she said she knew or had heard something about a football team moving into Crownpoint Sports Centre. Only problem was the football club in question wasn't Clyde.

8 hours ago, PossilYM said:

She lives in the new flats in Orr St, which must be a few minutes walk away from the ground. 

Thing is she said she knew or had heard something about a football team moving into Crownpoint Sports Centre. Only problem was the football club in question wasn't Clyde.

Hard to see us bouncing back from this setback tbh. 

10 hours ago, PossilYM said:

Finnart have had their consultation phase which may explain that, however we need to get the word out. 

19 hours ago, haufdaft said:

We should look back to when Edinburgh City etc were heralded as replacing the "dead wood" teams like East Stirlingshire or Berwick Rangers.

I can never remember these so called dead wood teams bringing so few supporters as Edinburgh did yesterday.

We should note Edinburgh must be in their highest league position in their existence and still only bring almost single figure away support.

If I recall correctly they didn't bring much more to Broadwood for the play offs.

But really, with all that's going on or not going at the Club, we are discussing the lack of support for a club who have beaten us 3 times this season and sit 27 points above us and have a 40 goal better goal difference than us....but hey....let's slag off their support.

15 minutes ago, Harry Hood Fan Club said:

But really, with all that's going on or not going at the Club, we are discussing the lack of support for a club who have beaten us 3 times this season and sit 27 points above us and have a 40 goal better goal difference than us....but hey....let's slag off their support.

It's madness. I'm sure Berwick too must be very reassured that despite being 2 divisions below Edinburgh, they have a bigger support. 

The point is relevant if you take time to think it through.

Whilst their away support is less important, their home attendances are poor and outside the visits of Falkirk and Dunfermline are usually less than 500. So, that begs the question as to why they have been able to field a team which is x points above us with y better goal difference?

Is it quality of management in terms of being able to spot a player?

Is it quality of management in terms of being able to motivate a player?

Is it quality of Board member/staff member in terms of attracting commercial income?

Is it an after-effect of the whole David Goodwillie episode and some players just did not want to come here?

Have we wasted funds that could have been better utilised?

Is it none of the above or all of the above?

The number of people following the team is relevant to their current position and long term viability. It isn't a reason to point fingers, but it is certainly a reason to ask how they are flourishing on such meagre support?

1 hour ago, Harry Hood Fan Club said:

1 hour ago, CM. said:

It's madness. I'm sure Berwick too must be very reassured that despite being 2 divisions below Edinburgh, they have a bigger support. 

Both are reasonable points!

The Edinburgh City (I can't use the 'new' name) fanbase was pretty buoyant at the end of the last season and was certainly growing. The PR car crash with the change of name, the abomination of Meadowbank as a spectator facility, the crappy new club badge and tons of other things has alienated a huge percentage of the fans. There was a bunch of guys that did organise a coach to away games but that has fallen by the wayside.

This has led to a ton of antipathy from even causal supporters which is why there are no away fans and even no recent comments on the club P&B thread.

We did retain a lot of the play off winning squad , and signed Liam Fontaine, which is why we punched above our weight for the first half of the season.  

25 minutes ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

5 minutes ago, RubyTuesday said:

We did retain a lot of the play off winning squad , and signed Liam Fontaine, which is why we punched above our weight for the first half of the season.  

Just looking at the complete base level, I'd say that in general Edinburgh have a much stronger squad than Clyde. You'd think that maybe not many of the players would be out of our reach financially - for instance you wouldn't think that the likes of James Craigen, Ouzy See or John Robertson would earn more than Morgaro Gomis, Martin Rennie or Paul Kennedy - but obviously geography comes into play and we're competing with more teams for local players.

1 hour ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

Whilst their away support is less important, their home attendances are poor and outside the visits of Falkirk and Dunfermline are usually less than 500. So, that begs the question as to why they have been able to field a team which is x points above us with y better goal difference?

Is it quality of Board member/staff member in terms of attracting commercial income?

Is it an after-effect of the whole David Goodwillie episode and some players just did not want to come here?

The number of people following the team is relevant to their current position and long term viability. It isn't a reason to point fingers, but it is certainly a reason to ask how they are flourishing on such meagre support?

Probably all of the above, we have definitely wasted funds that could have been better utilised. Thicot for a start is supposedly on a ridiculous wage for this level. Not sure if Edinburgh have a financial backer but I don't look at their squad and think there's loads of money getting chucked about. As Ruby says above, it seems a fair chunk of their fans have chucked it after their name change, stadium fiasco etc. Perhaps they budgeted for this season not expecting that and we might see a weaker Edinburgh next season should they supporters continue to stay away. 

Edited by CM.

2 hours ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

I don't think there's much doubt Alan Maybury's done a very good job there, and they also got a wee bit of momentum early season which they kept going long enough to make sure they didn't at any point have to look over their shoulder. They are significantly externally supported though, or at least have been. I don't think crowds will have been that big a factor for them.

For what it's worth, we're clearly not at the support levels of a Falkirk or a Dunfermline, but both our visits to Edinburgh have been in the 600 - 650 attendance range too.

3 hours ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

It's ALL of the above which is my point....let's stop with the nonsense and concentrate on getting this Board out