Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

8 hours ago, Bully Wee Clyde FC said:

This was based on us having a certain player on our books. Had we not capitulated to the pressure of a backer, I think we would have renegotiated a similar shitty deal with NLC for the coming years and not been made homeless.

It was a former chair and finance guy, who gave NLC notice of OUR intention to leave, was it not? 

Or was that the excuse they were looking for to get rid of us and Welcome the Open Goal experiment and Celtic Ladies? That player was on our books for several seasons before the statement, so if he was the reason then why was he not banned from the stadium long before and club given longer notice to find an alternative venue? I don't buy the "it was NLL who ran it" excuse - NLL are answerable to NLC so influence could have been brought to bear very easily earlier on. 

8 hours ago, Bully Wee Clyde FC said:

So, you think the Hamilton move has been a success? 

What would success look like to you? 

The season would've played out the same regardless of where we played our games because our manager completely lost the plot and signed a group of players who are nowhere near good enough. Attendances would’ve been broadly similar and we’d all still be miserable as sin. 

I do agree with you when you say once the DGW situation calmed down, we probably would’ve been able to negotiate terms with NL to remain at Broadwood but I think we were quite right to tell them to ram it after they set the dangerous precedent of dictating who was allowed to enter the stadium. 

The fans are still out there, and they will return once there’s a decent product on the park. It’s as simple as that. Unfortunately, the landscape of Scottish football now dictates that clubs like ours can’t really do that until we have the means to generate income. 

We first stated our intention to leave Broadwood in 2010, had various awful ideas in the immediate aftermath but had done pretty much nothing as far as I can tell from circa 2015 until we eventually left in 2022 so had we stayed, I’m not sure anything would’ve changed. If anything, at least leaving Broadwood and going to Hamilton seems to have properly got the ball rolling on our long term goal. 

30 minutes ago, bhoonaman said:

Or was that the excuse they were looking for to get rid of us and Welcome the Open Goal experiment and Celtic Ladies? That player was on our books for several seasons before the statement, so if he was the reason then why was he not banned from the stadium long before and club given longer notice to find an alternative venue? I don't buy the "it was NLL who ran it" excuse - NLL are answerable to NLC so influence could have been brought to bear very easily earlier on. 

Why are we bringing up all this again a year after it’s happened? Move on man. 

We decided to leave Broadwood early, it was our choice and we could have been playing there this season.

Open goal have a year to year running lease. Now the money man is gone they will very likely not be at Broadwood next year. 

it’s not a conspiracy. 

Edited by Ocelot1877

11 hours ago, Bully Wee Clyde FC said:

So, you think the Hamilton move has been a success? 

I’d say it’s made very little difference, other that the fact NDP is a Sh**e hole.   I’d say our issue has been a terrible football team as a result of well documented poor recruitment by Danny Lennon. Which has gone long way to reduced attendance at games. Same would have happened at Broadwood. 

Edited by FREDDYFRY

1 hour ago, Billy Reid Fan Club said:

Who gives one, the place is a shit hole

It’s actually not, the existing parks are all very decent and footprint can be upgraded and improved by a suitable stadium build as planned if successful in the bid. 

8 hours ago, Ocelot1877 said:

Why are we bringing up all this again a year after it’s happened? Move on man. 

We decided to leave Broadwood early, it was our choice and we could have been playing there this season.

Open goal have a year to year running lease. Now the money man is gone they will very likely not be at Broadwood next year. 

it’s not a conspiracy. 

Who said it was a conspiracy 🤣? Why are we bringing up leaving Broadwood early (which I was responding to), a year after it happened? It happened, and I was not overly disappointed that it did.  

2 hours ago, bhoonaman said:

Who said it was a conspiracy 🤣? Why are we bringing up leaving Broadwood early (which I was responding to), a year after it happened? It happened, and I was not overly disappointed that it did.  

Suggesting that the Council were looking for an excuse to get rid of us to “ Welcome “ Rangers Women’s team and Broomhill is a tad conspiracyesque no?

They didn’t need an excuse they could have just let our lease run down and not renew 

On 02/05/2023 at 15:28, Bob731 said:

Source ?

There was a visit by a Director of Clyde to Shawfield in 2015. A lunch meeting initially to discuss whether or not there was any appetite for a potential return of Clyde to Shawfield from the owners of the site.

An impromptu visit on the spot was offered by the owner and his daughter and after lunch Shawfield was visited. The whole thing went really well with the owner declaring that Clyde "belonged at Shawfield" and he would be very happy to facilitate this by selling Shawfield as seen He even went into his reasons saying he had 3 children and just wanted them to be set up.

Here's the important part...he said these words..."write me a cheque for £1m son and you can have it".

After leaving Shawfield the director involved called the Vice Chair at the time, who on hearing the offer, wanted to go to Shawfield to check the state of the place and he took a colleague from the Board, I believe it was the Chairman. 

I believe a negotiation on the deal offered by Billy King was instigated by the Clyde party and the meeting was cut short with the Clyde representatives being invited to leave.

Shawfield for £1m, now there's a thought.

At today's prices £1m for Shawfield - regardless of it's current state - is an absolute no-brainer and with a bit of creative thinking e.g. crowd funding is surely a possibility.

That said, I haven't seen the immediate area for a good few years and wonder if access, parking and residential catchment might render the stadium itself a disaster in waiting and it would be madness to act on unsubstantiated promises in that respect. Then again, our board don't make daft gaffes, do they??!!

5 hours ago, Harry Hood Fan Club said:

There was a visit by a Director of Clyde to Shawfield in 2015. A lunch meeting initially to discuss whether or not there was any appetite for a potential return of Clyde to Shawfield from the owners of the site.

An impromptu visit on the spot was offered by the owner and his daughter and after lunch Shawfield was visited. The whole thing went really well with the owner declaring that Clyde "belonged at Shawfield" and he would be very happy to facilitate this by selling Shawfield as seen He even went into his reasons saying he had 3 children and just wanted them to be set up.

Here's the important part...he said these words..."write me a cheque for £1m son and you can have it".

After leaving Shawfield the director involved called the Vice Chair at the time, who on hearing the offer, wanted to go to Shawfield to check the state of the place and he took a colleague from the Board, I believe it was the Chairman. 

I believe a negotiation on the deal offered by Billy King was instigated by the Clyde party and the meeting was cut short with the Clyde representatives being invited to leave.

Shawfield for £1m, now there's a thought.

As explained at the owners meeting. By the person actually at the King meeting . It was £2m.

It failed because Mr King died very soon after and daughters didn’t want to progress.. simple as that.
It seems that despite many further approaches to the family they just won’t even speak to us or indeed return calls or any contact whatsoever 

Therefore Shawfield dream if that’s what it is; is dead!

Why are people so sure owning a stadium is economic? There will be costs in owning just as there is in rental, how many businesses own the premises they trade from? Are there really so many opportunities presented by owning a one stand/basic stadium, if so why aren't Dumbarton and East Fife rolling in money?

17 hours ago, Ocelot1877 said:

Suggesting that the Council were looking for an excuse to get rid of us to “ Welcome “ Rangers Women’s team and Broomhill is a tad conspiracyesque no?

They didn’t need an excuse they could have just let our lease run down and not renew 

Regardless, as soon as they said they were not renewing the lease, it left us with zero leverage to try and negotiate any deal with them other than something worse that the existing arrangement.

1 hour ago, FREDDYFRY said:

As explained at the owners meeting. By the person actually at the King meeting . It was £2m.

It failed because Mr King died very soon after and daughters didn’t want to progress.. simple as that.
It seems that despite many further approaches to the family they just won’t even speak to us or indeed return calls or any contact whatsoever 

Therefore Shawfield dream if that’s what it is; is dead!

That’s the point- the follow up meeting in 2015 annoyed the Kings so much they changed attitude. I can categorically assure you the offer of purchasing for £1m was what Billy King offered.

1 hour ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Why are people so sure owning a stadium is economic? There will be costs in owning just as there is in rental, how many businesses own the premises they trade from? Are there really so many opportunities presented by owning a one stand/basic stadium, if so why aren't Dumbarton and East Fife rolling in money?

I’d imagine because they are stand alone basic stadiums. Little or no ability to generate income outside a Match day. Not a business model that works in 2023.
Even so they will likely have higher income than us due to not having a significant payment for rent and or Training  facilities.

Edited by FREDDYFRY

10 hours ago, Harry Hood Fan Club said:

I can categorically assure you the offer of purchasing for £1m was what Billy King offered.

Were you in the room or did someone tell you ?  If the latter then that Director must have been a B Gracey ? We all should remember him.

Set up this 3 children - bloody hell presh, between them they own half of Glasgow city centre night spots,  so I would reckon, pure fabrication.

Finally, the fact the late Mr King used the word "son", I suspect the term was more in contempt for that individual than anything serious.

Stop peddling lies presh, or you can always provide absolute proof. 

3 hours ago, STTOFO said:

Were you in the room or did someone tell you ?  If the latter then that Director must have been a B Gracey ? We all should remember him.

Set up this 3 children - bloody hell presh, between them they own half of Glasgow city centre night spots,  so I would reckon, pure fabrication.

Finally, the fact the late Mr King used the word "son", I suspect the term was more in contempt for that individual than anything serious.

Stop peddling lies presh, or you can always provide absolute proof. 

Shocked the demand for “source” not more prominent.

Bless.