Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

Assuming we do go down, which I believe we will; in an ideal world only Roberts, Salkeld and Mullen are worth definitely keeping, but I agree they will go elsewhere. Mullen may stay if he’s first choice. 

Grant I’d say offer something, like 6 months deal initially to see if he returns to fitness. Duthie I think may benefit from a season in L2 considering what he’s been through, obviously he may not want that but not sure if anyone will come in for him in current climate where teams can’t afford to take a chance on players. 
Unlike Dylan Easton he may feel a pang of loyalty to us for support he got from the club?

As for the rest all can go and it would be great if Hynes and Docherty’s contract in particular could be “terminated” somehow.

I said last year that despite Cudihay being decent player (most of the time) he is injured far too often for a club in our situation. Cunningham is a waste of space injured or not!

Personally I’d try initially for a very small squad of as much quality we can afford, even if that is as low as 16 for first few months of the season (yes a gamble I know). Try to get points on the board then worry about strengthening in Jan if we can.

Obviously the Manager situation also needs resolved immediately after Friday.

Will it be status que? I hope not.

Will it be Swift and McLean?
Who knows with this Club?

I agree with Salkeld I should’ve added him on my list. I don’t think a full clearout is a good idea, you need some level of continuity. The players I listed I think are very capable of doing a job in league 2, but would need a better standard of backup in league 1 than what we have now should the unlikely happen. 

Of the three I'd keep I think Salkeld was probably just looking to get fit then looking more local.  Mullen might go for 1 year to earn a move which I would be happy enough with.   Roberts will get a league 1 offer I think.  

A better manager might get a tune out of a few others but we cannot be gambling on injury prone players unless they will sign on on reduced terms.

Who I would keep

Mullen

Sula

McLean

Roberts

Grant

Cuddihy

Salkeld

Duthie

Then we need to keep as signed for next year

Hynes (rather not keep)

Doherty (rather not keep)

Rennie

That 11 players.

Would look to sign 5 others then get 5 youngsters on loan from SPL teams to fill out the squad.

1 hour ago, Harry Hood Fan Club said:

Here we go again. The usual end of season debate about who we keep or who we discard. 
stop wasting your time on this and focus on the real issue.

Given there’s a few, can you tell us the real issue. 

There’s nothing wrong with a bit of chat on who folk would keep or let go, lighten up a bit. 

I think some of the younger guys could be worth persevering with scullion, Cameron and olly McDonald have shown some ability at times. Given they’ve been bedded in for a season and we will likely drop a level they could do a job. In saying that I wouldn’t be too disappointed if they leave.

McLean is done, more than a few goals recently have been from balls over him and running in behind.

Let’s just see how tomorrow night goes first as that may have some bearing on the budget.

I'd keep Scullion, he's been poor in the past couple of games but he had a very good month or so prior. When he was on it, he was one of our best players and it coincided with us getting better results from this season.

Cameron can absolutely get fucked, he doesn't give a f**k. He puts absolutely no effort in and just jogs about. He puts no work in defensively and not even offensively. He is an absolute wage-stealer.

McDonald is a strange one, he showed against Montrose that he can score goals but he is incredibly small and just gets bullied. Not sure who it was but he literally just bounced off an Annan defender on Tuesday night. I don't think he's shown enough all season to justify being kept on, even if we go to League Two

Mullen, Sula, R.Grant, Roberts, Salkeld and Scullion would be all I'd keep. Maybe Cuddihy but his injuries are certainly a worry, Duthie if he's going to be on reduced wages, I'm sure he's on a fair wage this year so he'd need to take a paycut to stay.

4 hours ago, SLClyde said:

Given there’s a few, can you tell us the real issue. 

There’s nothing wrong with a bit of chat on who folk would keep or let go, lighten up a bit. 

If you don’t comprehend the real issue- then you’re part of the problem

Edited by Harry Hood Fan Club
Spelling

The only three I'd want to keep are Mullen, Roberts and Salkeld. Obviously we're lumbered with some under contract too.

There is an argument to be had that some of these players are L2 level anyway and would probably be ok, but I don't think that matters. After a season as poor as this one, a huge refresh is needed. There's no way we should be going into next season carrying a squad with a losing mentality. We're going to need every advantage possible to not go down again.

Edited by Brian Carrigan

46 minutes ago, Brian Carrigan said:

The only three I'd want to keep are Mullen, Roberts and Salkeld. Obviously we're lumbered with some under contract too.

There is an argument to be had that some of these players are L2 level anyway and would probably be ok, but I don't think that matters. After a season as poor as this one, a huge refresh is needed. There's no way we should be going into next season carrying a squad with a losing mentality. We're going to need every advantage possible to not go down again.

Absolutely agree about the huge refresh and perhaps the most important part of that is the management. I'm expecting Swift to take over next season but I also wouldn't be overly surprised if the board extend Duffy's contract - particularly if we were to stay up. Duffy must go regardless of what happens tonight. 

Got to have a go right from the start tonight. None of this 'keeping it tight' nonsense - we simply cannot afford to sit back and allow Annan to settle into the game. Intae them!!!

35 minutes ago, Harry Hood Fan Club said:

Only because you are clearly too thick to realise after over ten years of systematic failure where the problems at the club are created.

Aye, that’s what it is, well done. Those problems are completely unrelated to who we want to keep in the squad next season and who to release.

Keep up the good work, tadger!