Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

1 minute ago, strichener said:

Mate, we hardly had the same players for more than a couple of weeks, there was no opportunity to motivate or demotivate.

I think you may also be overestimating the influence supporters have.

Ha, fair enough. Maybe I am overestimating fan power but sitting in the stand against East Fife on Friday night it seemed we willed the team over the line than anything else. 

If the fans no longer look/sound like they care how can anyone expect the players on the park to give a f***? Professional integrity? Lol.

For what it's worth, I hope you guys manage to regroup and bounce back up next season - providing we're not sharing a league! 

24 minutes ago, RutherGlen said:

Ha, fair enough. Maybe I am overestimating fan power but sitting in the stand against East Fife on Friday night it seemed we willed the team over the line than anything else. 

If the fans no longer look/sound like they care how can anyone expect the players on the park to give a f***? Professional integrity? Lol.

For what it's worth, I hope you guys manage to regroup and bounce back up next season - providing we're not sharing a league! 

Certainly cannot be accused of not caring as attend every game home or away & subscribe to a number of things at the club. Always try to encourage our players although the fact we signed 30 players during the season with only 4 being kept for next season shows how hard some of them tried, been a huge change in attitude under the new management for the better. Still think a season with a rebuild will be better in the long run for us. Will as always be looking for us to finish as high up the league as possible.

Theres been a few times now ive felt the squad are playing at a mid league 2 level and last night seemed to confirm it.  I didnt think there was a lack of effort,  but there are glaring weaknesses in the squad.  Having said that every season for the past few years we have recruited almost a whole new squad, who havent been as good as the last one. Is there not a case for trying to keep a core of a squad for next year, instead of doing the same thing again. I see no reason why some of them wont compete in league 2.

Can’t really expect much more, when you play half the season with a toothless forward line. Sad thing is we’ve not only recruited dross, we’ve gave them a 2 year contracts. Going to be a long season next year, no matter what league we’re in.

1 hour ago, BonnieClyde said:

Theres been a few times now ive felt the squad are playing at a mid league 2 level and last night seemed to confirm it.  I didnt think there was a lack of effort,  but there are glaring weaknesses in the squad.  Having said that every season for the past few years we have recruited almost a whole new squad, who havent been as good as the last one. Is there not a case for trying to keep a core of a squad for next year, instead of doing the same thing again. I see no reason why some of them wont compete in league 2.

But in the unlikely event we come straight back up then you're back to square one with a team of players who already weren't good enough in L1. 

Mullen, Roberts and Salkeld are the only players in this squad I'd be very keen to keep and if we go down there's likely no chance any of them will stay. 

Edited by CM.

10 hours ago, David W said:

I, for one, fully intend to embrace the heads gone I'm going to have when we announce Duffy is staying.

I’ve resigned myself to it. It’s definitely going to happen, isn’t it?

8 minutes ago, Scott-Replay said:

I’ve resigned myself to it. It’s definitely going to happen, isn’t it?

The thing is, if we choose to go in another direction, then that could be weeks down the line. We are already behind in terms of retaining the current squad and new signings.

Not that we should keep Duffy of course, but I am terrified that we don't have any forward succession plan.

We absolutely have to get a move on quickly after Friday, regardless of the outcome. 

Mullen, cuddihy, Sula, McLean, roberts, Duthie and Ray Grant would be the ones I’d keep on top of who’s already signed. 

The rest have to go. If Cameron or scullion get a deal for next year that would tip me over the edge. 

12 minutes ago, SLClyde said:

We absolutely have to get a move on quickly after Friday, regardless of the outcome. 

Mullen, cuddihy, Sula, McLean, roberts, Duthie and Ray Grant would be the ones I’d keep on top of who’s already signed. 

The rest have to go. If Cameron or scullion get a deal for next year that would tip me over the edge. 

100% agree with this if anyone else gets offered a deal we’re heading in a worrying direction. Can we rip up the deals for rennie, docherty and Hynes please 😂?

Edited by Clyde85

21 minutes ago, SLClyde said:

That's seven of the current squad. 

Are Sula and McLean worthy of a new contract?

Should Cuddihy now be considered injury prone?

What have Grant and Duthie done to merit a new contract? Grant was poor at Alloa and was injured relatively early in the season. And Duthie hasn't impressed, albeit understandably, since his return.

I agree with Mullen and Roberts but fear they'll have better offers from other teams.

Most importantly, Duffy shouldn't be near our club past Friday night. He's done enough damage to next season's hopes by signing Rennie, Doherty and Haynes on 18 month contracts.

Grant was arguably our best player and would be the first name on the team sheet until he got a season ending injury In January. 

He has proven over two stints at the club to be a great player for Clyde at both league 1 and league 2 level and is a fan favourite.

He’s also a very useful and consistent player in a difficult part of the pitch to fill

His stint at Alloa will have been 3 seasons prior and 2 levels above where we are likely to be playing come the summer 😂

but apart from all that yeah I can see your point