Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

If Hamilton go down might John Rankin be a free agent?  He is already based at NDP (for what little that might be worth) and was happy enough with Clyde I think. Even if he fails to save Accies the expectation with them is higher than it would be with our rabble.

The Clyde way, really. Finish the season in a manner which gives you some hope, string you along and then dash it in tinpot fashion when it comes to the crunch.

Swift action is needed now (and no, that is hopefully not a prescient pun), so hopefully something has been lined up ready for announcement before the weekend is out. We are already weeks behind on recruitment and, with the smaller budget, it's important that we recruit well in the summer. The three we've got under contract already don't fill me with much confidence. 

I thought given Clyde's last few league results they might have a chance of staying up. On reflection they were playing sides with nothing to play for which probably allowed them to get a few extra points and give false hope.

If you pick up 24 points in a season then you completely deserve to be relegated, so I don't think Clyde fans will have any complaints. I certainly won't miss playing them if we stay down, but I do feel for the decent Clyde fans in what is a very uncertain time for the club.

9 hours ago, RutherGlen said:

Not a clue. I should add that I'm only advocating the appointment of Swift as I'm assuming the rumour he was brought in to replace Duffy next season is true. Given that, he's probably the only other option the board are considering at this point. I'm more than happy for the club to open up the position to other candidates (including Swift) and would welcome such a move. 

***edited to add*** 

Just looked it up and it seems he was sacked by Stenny as a result of a run of 7 games without a win.

"The former Stranraer, Linlithgow Rose and Ayr United defender had been gaffer at the club for a year and a half, replacing Davie Irons in April last year, overseeing 69 matches since then, 26 of them won and 28 lost, and was named as League 2 manager of the month in February."

Almost a 50% win rate. Impressive by our standards!

38% 🤓

16 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I thought given Clyde's last few league results they might have a chance of staying up. On reflection they were playing sides with nothing to play for which probably allowed them to get a few extra points and give false hope.

If you pick up 24 points in a season then you completely deserve to be relegated, so I don't think Clyde fans will have any complaints. I certainly won't miss playing them if we stay down, but I do feel for the decent Clyde fans in what is a very uncertain time for the club.

Not a lot to argue with here

23 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Fair assessment there.

We got hoodwinked by so many factors like escaping relegation for a few years and having a recruitment team that recruited badly and then giving DL a free run to sign a squad who were too wee, too slow, too lightweight and too shotshy.

It'll be a long long road back to L1, if it ever happens.

Dreadful end to a dreadful season. Deservedly relegated on the park and a rudderless shambles off it. Worrying times.

Don’t get what shouting f**k off at the few, clearly gutted players who came over to the fans at full time achieved but each to their own. There’s plenty of places to direct your anger but Kurtis Roberts and wee Scullion were hardly prime targets.

Can’t have any complaints on the relegation, 5 wins in a season is miles off of any decent standard. 

Need to start tomorrow with plans for next season given we are already 2 weeks behind everyone else. 

7 minutes ago, Clyde01 said:

Dreadful end to a dreadful season. Deservedly relegated on the park and a rudderless shambles off it. Worrying times.

Don’t get what shouting f**k off at the few, clearly gutted players who came over to the fans at full time achieved but each to their own. There’s plenty of places to direct your anger but Kurtis Roberts and wee Scullion were hardly prime targets.

I’d admittedly left by the final whistle but I’d have to agree. Whilst Scullion has had a difficult season, he’s tried his very best and is a better player than he was at the start of the season. Roberts, whilst poor tonight, has been our best player this season.

I'd have to concur. I can't blame the players who vanished off down the tunnel for doing so in the context of the pitch invasion or whatever, disappointing as it is, but particularly with those who faced up the fans being two of our biggest triers this season, it's a bit disappointing to hear they took some stick. Two boys we could be doing with next year for sure.

What a mess! A few years ago we had some top players who ignited the club. None of them were replaced... None. 

I just hope we don't repeat the same cycle in the next twelve months 

Wouldn't lose sleep if the whole playing squad were released tomorrow. I've no doubt some of them will have clubs lined up anyways.

Darn shame!

14 minutes ago, SLClyde said:

Can’t have any complaints on the relegation, 5 wins in a season is miles off of any decent standard. 

Need to start tomorrow with plans for next season given we are already 2 weeks behind everyone else. 

There's no excuse not to; we have been on the verge of relegation for months, even more obviously in the last few days. Only a fantasist would have been planning for L1. If they don't have the next manager lined up then it's negligence of the worst order.

On the squad, for me, we start by getting rid of anyone who is physically not up to league football, then set out to not sign any wee children moving forward. Cameron, Kennedy, McDonald, Lyon, Rodden, Bradley-Hurst.

Then the ones who you imagine will definitely be off; Parry, Thicot, Peter Grant. The loanees.

The rest it's really a case of cost, availability of other players, tactics etc. They could all do something of a job as part of a squad in L2, not that it would be a good thing retaining them all. 

I hope Danny Lennon is having an absolutely stinking evening. Chris Johnston's laughable performance tonight is a reminder of how much we wasted our promotion.