Runners and Riders.... Next PM.

27 minutes ago, Sooky said:

The advantage Gove has over Hunt is that he’s actually quite a good orator. He can give a good speech and articulate his thoughts well. He also was a major part of the leave campaign, which would normally be an advantage but because he voted for the WA he’s now some sort of traitor.

Advantage that Hunt would have is that he can directly compare his time as foreign secretary with that of Johnson. He also has a more statesman vibe to him. Members also don’t know as much about him, which might be a good thing. He can creative his own narrative more than Gove could.

I’d think Gove would have a better chance against Johnson. Assuming there’s no tactical voting, I think he’ll also move up to second place on the next ballot due to Stewart supporters coming over.

Gove led the Leave campaign, Hunt voted Remain. That's why he's more of a threat to Johnson and that's why Johnson will kill off Gove this afternoon by lending votes to Hunt.

5 minutes ago, MarkoRaj said:

I sometimes feel like I'm living in a parallel universe when I see the candidates for the next PM

How can any of these goons be thought of in that regard?

It's the politics of the bluff and bluster brigade. 

And we all know who the biggest exponent of that is.

I sometimes feel like I'm living in a parallel universe when I see the candidates for the next PM
How can any of these goons be thought of in that regard?

We had our chance to be shot of this in 2014. I don’t know how anyone can think we made the right choice.

4 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

There's yer Gove out on his arse.

Revenge is sweet.

Can't surely be any doubt now as to who the next PM will be.

Got to be good news for anyone hoping for Indyref2 and Scottish Independence.

Edited by ICTJohnboy

We have to remember that Ian Duncan Smith, William Hague and John Major have won before. And that Gove and Cameron know where the bodies are buried. And that another Bullingdon Club comrade (Osbourne of the Standard) gave Boris a very nuanced backing today, including that he was the best man to deliver a 2nd referendum, something, if the stereotypes of Tory members are true, will go down very badly.

Edited by welshbairn

There seems to be a suggestion here that Boris Johnson and his supporters are duplicitous scumbags who would try to gerrymander an election to minimise the chance of him losing.

I am shocked by that revelation.

I doubt Johnson's team really believed that Gove could beat him or even come particularly close to threatening him in the members' ballot - Johnson would have won that run-off quite comfortably. Hunt is likely to run a less pugnacious campaign than Gove would have, though, so should help get Johnson off to a 'cleaner' start when he does win. Hunt also helps to avoid the psychodrama of having to compete against Gove and any additional damage that could have done to Johnson immediately before becoming PM.