Rangers' Wee Spot in Europe - Season 2023/24

4 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

TBH, for coefficient points, cash incentives and "stature" considerations I'm still unsure if CL or EL is best. Aye, the CL carries the status but given our recent experience there I'm not particularly impressed by that.  A better chance of some wins (and the cash rewards that go with them) and increased morale seems more attractive.  

Yeah, I don't think I'll be too disheartened with a Europa League consolation prize in respect of the coefficient and potential progression if we do go out tonight, however financially it would be catastrophic in our bid to catch Celtic.

I'm sure I read that Celtic would be guaranteed around €35m minimum (before any ticket sales or income for winning/drawing matches) if we fail to qualify for the CL Group Stage. This would drop to €30m if we do.

By comparison, if we qualify for the CL Group Stage we would get €28m. If we drop into the Europa League that falls to €13m and would be further reduced if Aberdeen also qualify.

So a loss tonight essentially hands Celtic a further €22m advantage over us.

24 minutes ago, AJF said:

Yeah, I don't think I'll be too disheartened with a Europa League consolation prize in respect of the coefficient and potential progression if we do go out tonight, however financially it would be catastrophic in our bid to catch Celtic.

I'm sure I read that Celtic would be guaranteed around €35m minimum (before any ticket sales or income for winning/drawing matches) if we fail to qualify for the CL Group Stage. This would drop to €30m if we do.

By comparison, if we qualify for the CL Group Stage we would get €28m. If we drop into the Europa League that falls to €13m and would be further reduced if Aberdeen also qualify.

So a loss tonight essentially hands Celtic a further €22m advantage over us.

Fair enough! It is however proof positive that the European Competitions as presently arranged are simply a means of transferring cash into the coffers of the already wealthy clubs to the detriment of everyone else. Not really a surprise (Scottish football has been a food chain for decades) but it is starkly demonstrated in your post.  It also makes my usual "support Scottish clubs in Europe" financially untenable! "mon BK Hacken" wouldn't normally be something I'd say, but, well, millions of Euros are millions of Euros...

Don't know how Beale will approach this tonight.  The first 45 mins at Ibrox were torture, but we looked better going forward in the second half once Matondo had been introduced. 

I could see him sticking with the same XI, except for Matondo in for Sima from the start to try and give us an out ball down the left to attack them with pace when we get the ball. 

2 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Neil McCann, how does he get a gig?

Awful

He constantly speaks as if he's trying to land a chopper in a disaster zone and the unfortunate event of him having to do punditry at the same time is distracting him from this important humanitarian act.

"I agree Thommo"

"Tom, yes - I agree"

"Michael says hes getting fitter"

"theres more to come from this boy"

"as a centre forward for Rangers, you should be scoring 20+ goals a season - minimum"

Christ on a fucking bike.....................

4 minutes ago, KirkieRR said:

The 'Heart and Hand' Podcast?

Now, what song is that a quotation from? Let me think...

You wouldn’t be amazed to find out he got called out for some very dubious statements which resulted in the denizens of follow follow rallying roon the rangers (podcast)

Anyway… Champlanese!

Meh

If we win it's grand but I'd also be happy with Europa, just need to avoid an absolute pumping and then bring on Sunday. 

Very interested as to whether Marondo will revert back to the player he was last year or if he'll have a stormer. 

Also Danilo must be utter shite in training. Beale already given up on him? 

Edited by RuMoore

13 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Now they are selling Shankland to Rangers and questioning why they havent just "tested" Hearts.

Erm, perhaps Hearts didnt want to sell to a rival?

Hearts would sell to Rangers. And Hibs wouldn’t.

Vice versa for Celtic.

That said, if Rangers really wanted Shankland they wouldn’t have spent millions on the forwards they’ve already signed. 

I think maybe the opposite is true in that Rangers and Celtic don’t want to be giving millions to rival teams…