Dundee United 2019/2020

Just now, ArabianKnight said:

Why would Ayr get a sell on clause from a free agent that had left them before signing on for another club. 

I feel I'm being wooshed here. 👀

There is no clause.  There is no 3 million.   I made it all up,  Still, the 300k that the OF will pay will buy that able replacement, no? 

47 minutes ago, coppola said:

No idea the ins and outs of Shanklands contract but it's surely inconceivable we'd sell in January. The club seem to be in a strong enough financial position and the implications of selling him then not getting promoted are pretty disastrous.

I'm not saying it'll happen, but clubs have very little control these days. If for example, Celtic came in with a bid and his head was turned, he could refuse to play and whilst the fans would probably bold shout, 'Let him train with the reserves and see out his contract' that's just not logical for any club in Scotland if another is offering cash.

I'd also assume there'll likely be several get out clauses for Shankland in this contract hence how he went to you above others similar to us with Greg Stewart a few year back.

I personally think you'll be able to hold onto him till the end of the season but I don't think its inconceivable that there might be a few variables that take it out of the clubs hands.

5 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

I'm not saying it'll happen, but clubs have very little control these days. If for example, Celtic came in with a bid and his head was turned, he could refuse to play and whilst the fans would probably bold shout, 'Let him train with the reserves and see out his contract' that's just not logical for any club in Scotland if another is offering cash.

I'd also assume there'll likely be several get out clauses for Shankland in this contract hence how he went to you above others similar to us with Greg Stewart a few year back.

I personally think you'll be able to hold onto him till the end of the season but I don't think its inconceivable that there might be a few variables that take it out of the clubs hands.

If he gets us out of this league I’m not sure a lot of Arabs would care. I’m certainly treating it the same as Andy Robertson when he was with us, just enjoy it while he’s still with us.

Getting Shankland to come to Tannadice was an incredible piece of business and all those involved at United should be congratulated.

I’m not sure what his other options were at the time but the fact that he chose to come to a Championship club that was likely to be the leading contender for promotion and where he was going to be the key player suggests he knows what path he wants to follow.

Hopefully he will be smart enough to realise what has happened to other players who have moved to a higher level too soon.

A full year and a successful promotion campaign should guarantee a range of options for him at the end of the season.

Getting Shankland to come to Tannadice was an incredible piece of business and all those involved at United should be congratulated.
I’m not sure what his other options were at the time but the fact that he chose to come to a Championship club that was likely to be the leading contender for promotion and where he was going to be the key player suggests he knows what path he wants to follow.
Hopefully he will be smart enough to realise what has happened to other players who have moved to a higher level too soon.
A full year and a successful promotion campaign should guarantee a range of options for him at the end of the season.

This 100%.

We'll lose him, of course we will. Just hope that when we do, it's on our terms and the timing is right.

What a fecking signing.

Scott Burns was the guy reporting it. He's rarely wrong, so Celtic and Rangers are actually looking at him (He also reported United signing Shankland two days before it happened, as well as the signing of Sporle, and also Graham Dorrans signing for Dundee).

Will it happen? can't see it. The ownership have spent too much money on this squad to get rid of it's most prized asset halfway through the season. I do think he'll go next summer, promotion or not, but if we go up as champions with him as top scorer, surely he'll get a wider range clubs with better wages than he would leaving in January with just a very impressive goal record?

1 hour ago, Accent-Unknown said:

Scott Burns was the guy reporting it. He's rarely wrong, so Celtic and Rangers are actually looking at him.

Let's flip this. Would it make any sense at all for Celtic and Rangers not to be taking a look?

Not exactly the biggest scoop out there.

I'm not worried about it. If he does leave in January (and I doubt very much he will) then that probably means he's continued to bang the goals in, we've pretty much got promotion wrapped up, and have been offered silly money.

Burns now saying he'll be in the Scotland squad. Pros and cons for us I suppose. Can't imagine Clarke would be mental enough to chuck in him against Russia away but wouldn't be shocked to see him on the pitch at some point against San Marino now. 

On 30/09/2019 at 12:01, G_Man1985 said:
On 30/09/2019 at 11:12, Pull My Strings said:
Your point's well made, but I think you might be on the verge of labouring it now.

It's pretty weird. Said poster hasn't posted yet. I miss him talking nonsense.

Sorry i hope you werent checking back too often.

1 hour ago, coppola said:

Burns now saying he'll be in the Scotland squad. Pros and cons for us I suppose. Can't imagine Clarke would be mental enough to chuck in him against Russia away but wouldn't be shocked to see him on the pitch at some point against San Marino now. 

More cons than pros.