Dundee United 2019/2020

1 minute ago, Jacky1990 said:

Whats your thoughts on Ian Harkes?

Was quite impressed by him Tuesday night and theres certainly a player there, but you hardly ever seemed to go through him.

Harkes is very inconsistent.  Can be very influential one game and anonymous the next.  Even within 90 minutes he can go from contributing to disappearing.

On his game he is definitely a decent player at this level.

Not having a dig at Utd here, but it is incredible how many times we have gone through this cycle of owners coming into Scottish football thinking they can be different this time and get the success and return on their investment they crave simply through massive overspending.

Motherwell, Dundee, Livingston, Dunfermline, Hearts, Gretna, and probably others, all believing in the impossible fairytale over the years.

You would just need to speak to any fan of the game up here to find out that it's pretty much impossible to break through the glass  ceiling; at the very best you will manage third in the top league, where the potential prize money and European money available will never justify huge expenditure.

If you're looking at a good sustainable business model for clubs outwith The OF then you're probably looking at Motherwell right now.  A squad consisting of capable journeymen well scouted from other lower leagues mixed with hungry young players.  Competitive in the league, reaching cup finals, and covering costs by a conveyor belt of talented young players sold on at inflated prices.

Probably difficult for fans themselves to do anything about it, but I do think the governing body should control it better with stricter limits on wages/ turnover and punishing those going way beyond.

From Utd's point of view ultimately what's to lose? Gamble everything and go up, or fail and go into administration whereby you can get rid of all your debts for 10p in the £1 and let all the players and staff you don't want go for minimal payments to bring down future running costs.  Chances are Utd will amass sufficient points so that the 15 or 25 point deduction won't see them relegated.

Hearts did it, got rid of loads of players, brought through a lot of younger players and came back up at the first time of asking with a bit of momentum and finished top four or five.  Within a year they were announcing £14m investment in a new stand!

Perhaps the buying up of buildings and the training ground and club shop is insurance against future losses?

Basically if the debts become so much that they go in to administration they would have these ‘assets’ to get them out?

Cynical view perhaps.

Hopefully Shankland gets called up by Steve Clarke again for Scotland to play against Cyprus 16/11 and misses Queens league game same day. Saying that was he playing in the recent game at Palmerston? 😂

Edited by SUPERSOUTH

59 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Perhaps the buying up of buildings and the training ground and club shop is insurance against future losses?

Basically if the debts become so much that they go in to administration they would have these ‘assets’ to get them out?

Cynical view perhaps.

It's exactly what they just bought them back after doing a few years ago. They spun that as being 'debt free'. 

Spiers even made them out as some sort of club everyone should aspire to be. Within 7 years they're reaching those debt levels again and playing in a lower division. Some boy. 

1 hour ago, Dele said:

It's exactly what they just bought them back after doing a few years ago. They spun that as being 'debt free'. 

Spiers even made them out as some sort of club everyone should aspire to be. Within 7 years they're reaching those debt levels again and playing in a lower division. Some boy. 

As a lot of clubs in Scotland can attest to, the old ‘paying massive unsustainable wages’ model is not a particularly successful one, so it’s strange that United think it will be.

Anyway, do Dundee fans seriously want United to go out of business?

Seems a bit odd. I get taking delight in your rival’s misfortunate and am all for that, but for then to cease to exist is a bit much. I’d enjoy seeing Falkirk and/or Raith go in to admin but wouldn’t want them to be liquidated and no longer exist.

A lot of Dundee fans seem to take their rivalry with United exceptionally seriously.

14 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Seems a bit odd. I get taking delight in your rival’s misfortunate and am all for that, but for then to cease to exist is a bit much. I’d enjoy seeing Falkirk and/or Raith go in to admin but wouldn’t want them to be liquidated and no longer exist.

A lot of Dundee fans seem to take their rivalry with United exceptionally seriously.

I certainly wouldn't want to see another club not called Rangers die, for as annoying p***ks as they may be, the two-club dynamic is a key and special thing that Dundee and Scottish football benefits from as a whole. In reality I just want a period of clear dark blue dominance in the city, which hasn't happened for some time (despite the opportunity being there).

That being said, the thought of United struggling away the way we have over the course of the 21st century up until now fills me with a feeling of true vindictive schadenfreude.

On 01/10/2019 at 16:51, Szamo's_Ammo said:

Scotland have a game on 16 November while we play QOTS at home, so he could miss that one if he's called up again. 

Hope so, Would think he's prob earned it😂

Edited by SUPERSOUTH

25 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

For the Bronski Beat fans above, I'm assuming ArabAuslander is suggesting staggered kick off times to give supporters wishing to visit Tannadice for the QoS match the chance to watch the Scotland match on TV.

Why are United so spe ial that they deserve a different kick off time because Scotland are playing? 

21 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

You've got some real underlying issues regarding Dundee fans. 

Flip it around and ask yourself if any Utd fans would've been happy to see Dundee die when we were having financial problems. How many were gloating during our two administrations and continued to mention it on a regular basis (until very recently strangely enough 🤔). I'm not having a pop at them for doing so - I would, and will, be doing the exact same thing - I'm having a pop at you for thinking it's a one-way street.

13 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

You've got some real underlying issues regarding Dundee fans. 

Flip it around and ask yourself if any Utd fans would've been happy to see Dundee die when we were having financial problems. How many were gloating during our two administrations and continued to mention it on a regular basis (until very recently strangely enough 🤔). I'm not having a pop at them for doing so - I would, and will, be doing the exact same thing - I'm having a pop at you for thinking it's a one-way street.

Do I? How so?

I'm sure there are many United fans who would want to see Dundee die, but this is the Dundee United thread.

I even stated that I think it's fine to laugh at the misfortune of your rivals, including administrations, but would draw the line at actually wanting them to go out of business. Never once said, or intimated, that it's a one way street.

17 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Do I? How so?

I'm sure there are many United fans who would want to see Dundee die, but this is the Dundee United thread.

I even stated that I think it's fine to laugh at the misfortune of your rivals, including administrations, but would draw the line at actually wanting them to go out of business. Never once said, or intimated, that it's a one way street.

You literally stated on the last sentence of your post that some Dundee fans take the rivalry seriously. If you thought  the same of Utd fans then it would make it a moot point. 

Add that to the fact that a while back you were out on the pish and asking if any Utd fans on here wanted to come out for a drink, it's clear to see who your favourite team in the city are. On top of that you posted some pictures of your stupid legs that night and I could make out an FTD 83 tattoo. Disgusting.