Linlithgow Rose - 2019 onwards

15 hours ago, Belter1 said:

Would say £40-50k player budget top 6 teams?
20 players paid over 40 weeks average £50 a week.

Would think Bo’ness and Linlithgow are near double that if not more.

Thanks. Can I ask if you know that because of a direct connection, or you've heard others say it? 

There was a thread on here recently about how the minimum wage affects payments to players - would £50 a week be enough to cover training and travel to away games?

I also wonder how Linlithgow and Bo'ness would be generating enough income to pay £100k to players after all their other costs. 

15 hours ago, gogsy said:

So after years of wee Rose supporters claiming they are the big team in the league, they are now scrambling to say they might not have the biggest budget out of all the teams.:unsure2:

I didn't see anyone say that.

I'm sad to see Bradley go. The weaknesses in the team since early last season have been obvious but I wanted him to be the guy to fix them. He did bring in Barbour to protect the defence, then signed Scullion in the summer. When that didn't work he tried various things like Barbour at centre half. Our defence has been bobbins since Leiper left and every time Bradley dealt with one problem another cropped up elsewhere to keep us vulnerable at the back. For example, against Camelon our central defence was fine, but the holes to the left and right in front of them were massive. We'd have got away with it against a weaker opponent but not against Camelon.

The reason I've been asking about money is that I've no idea what to expect at this level. Could we have brought in a better centre half? Thom's a good footballer and individually a good defender, but he doesn't communicate on the pitch so he needs a partner to take charge. But if Scullion and McKinlay are the best we can afford, then fair enough, you work with what you have. Was Scullion a poor signing or should we expect more from him than he's shown?

I also don't know if we can realistically expect to get a better manager. For all the defensive problems, elsewhere we're still strong. A front four of Ruari, TC, Allum and Ronald is, IMO, the best in the league, and better than you'll find in most of the league above too. Three of those are Bradley's signings. Barbour is class, and I really like the look of Meikle, another two of his signings. He took over a squad that wasn't nearly good enough to complete in the West Superleague; in one summer he covered all of the problem positions and got us to second in the league, 4 points behind a very, very good Bonnyrigg. He's clearly better than the two managers who proceeded him.

I wouldn't want to criticise anyone when you don't know what was said and done behind closed doors, I just wish he'd been given a bit more time. 

26 minutes ago, GordonS said:

I'm sad to see Bradley go. The weaknesses in the team since early last season have been obvious but I wanted him to be the guy to fix them. He did bring in Barbour to protect the defence, then signed Scullion in the summer. When that didn't work he tried various things like Barbour at centre half. Our defence has been bobbins since Leiper left and every time Bradley dealt with one problem another cropped up elsewhere to keep us vulnerable at the back. For example, against Camelon our central defence was fine, but the holes to the left and right in front of them were massive. We'd have got away with it against a weaker opponent but not against Camelon.

The reason I've been asking about money is that I've no idea what to expect at this level. Could we have brought in a better centre half? Thom's a good footballer and individually a good defender, but he doesn't communicate on the pitch so he needs a partner to take charge. But if Scullion and McKinlay are the best we can afford, then fair enough, you work with what you have. Was Scullion a poor signing or should we expect more from him than he's shown?

I also don't know if we can realistically expect to get a better manager. For all the defensive problems, elsewhere we're still strong. A front four of Ruari, TC, Allum and Ronald is, IMO, the best in the league, and better than you'll find in most of the league above too. Three of those are Bradley's signings. Barbour is class, and I really like the look of Meikle, another two of his signings. He took over a squad that wasn't nearly good enough to complete in the West Superleague; in one summer he covered all of the problem positions and got us to second in the league, 4 points behind a very, very good Bonnyrigg. He's clearly better than the two managers who proceeded him.

I wouldn't want to criticise anyone when you don't know what was said and done behind closed doors, I just wish he'd been given a bit more time. 

Its a poor time to let anyone go I think. Whoever comes in are they going to be able to change the team. Its going to be the same players. You might get 1 or 2 in or out. As Ray McKinnon said in January at Falkirk if someone is available in January are they going to be good enough. No-one is letting their betst players go at that time.

Money doesn#t buy success Bathgate tried and failed in the Super League era. But people think throwing money at seniors is the answer. Scullion and McKinley will be on more than say Don Morrison at us and he is clearly a  better centre half. Auchinleck had good centre halfs I don't know how much they pay. Theirs other teams who have good centre halfs in the league.

Just now, FuzzyBear said:

No idea who is available/interested.

As long as its not Jonny Harvey or Martin Canning.

I don;t see what you have against Johnny Harvey.  Berwick was horrendous before him even the Bonnyrigg Manager couldn';t do anything. Hes went back to Bonnyrigg and look where they are. Maybe Harvey could do the same for you

3 minutes ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

I don;t see what you have against Johnny Harvey.  Berwick was horrendous before him even the Bonnyrigg Manager couldn';t do anything. Hes went back to Bonnyrigg and look where they are. Maybe Harvey could do the same for you

I will go for the Berwick connection. More to do with the older committee members and friends. 

this debate on budgets and what teams pay needs to consider what is paid over and under the counter.  Some have alluded to it above in some ways, but it isn't always one approach or the other.  Direct comparison of budgets at this level is almost impossible to do... 

Imagine a player on a 40% tax bracket. £100 a week at teams who do it all above board = £60. If that same player can get the "minimum wage" + £100 under the counter in cash, then where is he going to go? Even on a 20% tax bracket, there is incentive to take the cash.  This approach sees teams keeping their paperwork in order for licencing and accounting purposes, but attracting "pricier" players at the same time. 

I suppose they are working on the basis that it is ok, as long as they don't get caught - which is very unlikely they will.  The cash payment wouldnt show on any accounts, or bank statements, but the player and club are both happy. I don't know of any teams that do this (I'll stay away from conjecture on this front as there is too much on here) but I will almost guarantee that some do it. Whether someone gets caught doing it is another matter, but if they did, it would likely be disastrous for that club.