Belgium vs Scotland

3 hours ago, DAVIDB69 said:

I agree he hasn’t been great for Scotland where he has been excellent every time I have seen him for Villa , he would have moved for a lot if villa had not been promoted.

Don't get me wrong - I like McGinn as a player.

I also like the idea of a midfield player who's prepared to take risks to make things happen.  I'm probably less taken with the reality of that in practice though.

21 minutes ago, DC92 said:

Well, exactly. That's why I said you could argue them equally.

Indeed.

It also allows either outlook to be perfectly valid though.

However,  in reality, nobody's going to suggest that Burke was robbed when his header stayed out, given that he immediately scored anyway.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

1 minute ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Indeed.

It also allows either outlook to be perfectly valid though.

However,  In reality, nobody's going to suggest that Burke was robbed when his header stayed out, given that he immediately scored anyway.

The conclusion was that Scotland were lucky to win because the ball came back off the post to Burke. My argument was that the "luck" involved in the rebound was balanced out by the initial effort being unlucky. The latter considers both sides of the coin, whereas the former does not.

Anyway, the main point is that there's little to be gained from analysing the game to the nth degree. There are an infinite number of random, luck-based events which influence the outcome in their own small way. Generally these will balance out between each team (as in the example above).

8 minutes ago, DC92 said:

The conclusion was that Scotland were lucky to win because the ball came back off the post to Burke. My argument was that the "luck" involved in the rebound was balanced out by the initial effort being unlucky. The latter considers both sides of the coin, whereas the former does not.

Anyway, the main point is that there's little to be gained from analysing the game to the nth degree. There are an infinite number of random, luck-based events which influence the outcome in their own small way. Generally these will balance out between each team (as in the example above).

I don't actually think we're disagreeing here.

MacLean out for McTominay.
McGregor out for Armstrong.
Brophy out for Burke.

Almost the same. Id take out mcginn for armstrong. Armstrong ability to run beyond the striker could be useful if burke is up top.

We will still get pumped

You're not missing anything. Anyone who thinks John McGinn is out of his depth against Cyprus is a morom

Are they the people that have more than one wife, chap on random stranger’s doors and harass you in the High Street???

Almost the same. Id take out mcginn for armstrong. Armstrong ability to run beyond the striker could be useful if burke is up top.

We will still get pumped

McGinn is far better than MacLean for me so would keep his place, whilst I think McTominay alongside McGinn would allow McGinn to roam a bit more.

McGregor is vastly overrated IMO and Armstrong should take his spot.

Would love to bomb James Forrest out too if we had a better striker. If we had a decent striker I’d gladly start Burke on the right wing ahead of Forrest. Forrest was bang average for Scotland (again) last night. His passing and final ball were awful. Plus he doesn’t have a neck, has a stupid run and is that proud to represent his country he couldn’t even sing the national anthem.

He was pretty poor. He layed off the ball for Robertson who scored a fantastic goal but he must of been on his arse easily 5 times. He lost the ball quite a fair few times and one especially where a good save was needed. Much more improvement is needed from him at international level.
I'm a fan of Mcginn, but you're not far wrong. He's always been like this. He takes chances, when they come off it looks brilliant, when it doesn't he can put you in a stack of trouble. He's still not hugely experienced at international level, but the ball turns over a lot less than it does in Scotland or the English Championship which he needs to learn.

Saying that, for me having someone in the middle of the park who can create something out of not much is probably important for Scotland since we rarely control games anyway. Mcginn breaks lines in midfield carrying the ball which no one else in the squad really does. I actually think playing him in front of Macgregor/McLean/Mctominay in a midfield 3 would work better than playing him deeper because they're all better disciplined. It should hopefully be less catastrophic when he loses the ball there too since he should have cover. He also puts in the donkey work required defensively and by a distance is the best midfielder we have in terms of being able to put pressure on opposition possession.

I'm definitively not saying Mcginn is a world beater or anything, but he is a good player. He also has weaknesses, but it's not like there's players he's keeping out of the side who are flawless either. I think Clarke will keep picking him for what he does well and try to coach out some of his weaknesses.

2 hours ago, Lebowski said:

Mcginn breaks lines in midfield carrying the ball which no one else in the squad really does. I actually think playing him in front of Macgregor/McLean/Mctominay in a midfield 3 would work better than playing him deeper because they're all better disciplined.

I like McGinn for his bite and tenacity. But if looking for someone to play in the role you describe then it should be Armstrong. 

I like McGinn for his bite and tenacity. But if looking for someone to play in the role you describe then it should be Armstrong. 

But you don't get the same defensive bits. Clarke picked 3 midfielders who all do a bit for you going forward, and who also do a job defensively. I don't think that's a coincidence. He gets his teams playing compactly, and at that point you're looking for players to be able to do something in transitions and not just as solely defensive or attacking midfielders. 

I'm also not convinced Armstrong does do the same thing as I'm talking about. I'm not talking about running at a defence after someone releases you (I'd happily agree Armstrong is better than Mcginn at that) I'm talking about taking a pass in a congested midfield, holding players off, and then getting forward. That attracts opposition players who press you. Beat the press in midfield and their defensive organisation is hugely disrupted.

I am slightly more confident in this match. Clarke has proved that he can set up a team to go and get a point or three against bigger sides. Judging by his time with us, Scotland should be okay, so long as Belgium do not have any Hibs or Aberdeen players in their squad. 

Burke for Brophy (bring The Wolf on later to score his first goals, once Burke has run Kompany and Alderweireld ragged).

Forrest was absolutely gash, and his laziness stopped SOD getting forward to punish Cyprus. Might be easier to just leave him out altogether and let SOD make the right side his own.

McGinn was a bombscare as usual. Check to see if Alan Power has a Scottish granny. Otherwise go for the poor man's Gary Dicker, Scott McTominay,

Can't decide who was worse between McKenna and Mulgrew, Drop them both. Use Souttar as a big lump as long as he can take instructions from the imperious Findlay. 

Still undecided about Robbo. Might need to be dropped if he's going to give away more goals like he did. I noticed Greg Taylor didn't give away any goals on saturday, so I'd start him in front of Andy.  

The rest of them better get used to upping their games to the standard of the Killie under Clarke. Maybe Chris Burke could be drafted in to show Ryan Fraser how to cross a ball?