That Jo Brand "Joke"

2 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
11 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:
No, I think she was opening her mouth without thinking or particularly caring. 

Or she was a comedian making what was clearly a joke.

Last word on this should be from Jo Cox's sister

My sister was a firm believer in robust debate and discussion.

But what we have seen recently seems to have gone beyond this – personal insults and poisonous verbal abuse seem to have become the norm, and this has at times led to violence and physical attacks.

Everybody with a public platform – politicians, journalists and, yes, comedians – has a responsibility to think about the consequences of the words they use.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/9288701/toxic-politics-jo-cox-sister-kim-leadbeater/

12 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:

No, I think she was opening her mouth without thinking or particularly caring. 

This.

While she did qualify her pathetic jibe by saying that showering Farage in battery acid was not something she would do, she left the impression she would be happy for anyone else to carry out such an attack.

I mentioned previously I utterly detest Farage, but I still wouldn't wish such an attack on my worst enemy.

As a comedian Brand is about as funny as fucking cancer.

What a load of shite. Comedians and Politicians are two entirely different things. If folk take what comedians say seriously they are clearly a fucking moron.

I didn't think Brand's joke was hilarious but at the same time at no point did I think she was advocating the use of acid nor was she laughing at folk who have had it thrown on them.

The backlash is our nation summed up though. Some folk are always looking to be outraged and social media gives every fuckwit a platform to air it.

It won't be long before comedians have to have a disclaimer after every joke they tell.

This.
While she did qualify her pathetic jibe by saying that showering Farage in battery acid was not something she would do, she left the impression she would be happy for anyone else to carry out such an attack.
I mentioned previously I utterly detest Farage, but I still wouldn't wish such an attack on my worst enemy.
As a comedian Brand is about as funny as fucking cancer.
So immediately after the joke she said she wasn't advocating such a thing you've chosen not to believe that part but instead you've chosen to believe she was indeed hoping someone would do it?

I can't ever bring myself to be offended by a comedians joke. 

If we're moving to time where people can't draw the line between what is a clear joke, and a statement to incite violence then we're done.

FWIW, it's a shit joke. But the quality of the joke doesn't really matter to me.

I just can't understand people who take things people say so literally. 

27 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

What a load of shite. Comedians and Politicians are two entirely different things. If folk take what comedians say seriously they are clearly a fucking moron.

I didn't think Brand's joke was hilarious but at the same time at no point did I think she was advocating the use of acid nor was she laughing at folk who have had it thrown on them.

The backlash is our nation summed up though. Some folk are always looking to be outraged and social media gives every fuckwit a platform to air it.

It won't be long before comedians have to have a disclaimer after every joke they tell.

They're not really offended by the joke. They are pretending to be, to even up with the "liberal PC brigade" who were offended by something someone else said.

5 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
17 minutes ago, Dee Man said:
Dom Joly deserved it tbh. 

How dare you laugh at acid attacks! You sir, are worse than Hitler.

So it's allright to string them up with piano wire?

Guest Moomintroll
How dare you laugh at acid attacks! You sir, are worse than Hitler.
No he is worse than Hitler, Stalin & anyone who selects a Kilmarnock player for the national team combined. Not a fan of her or her hypocritical politics but it was just a bloody joke, if you were to watch any reasonably edgy comedians set & take this level of offence at everything they say you will achieve a rate of around 40 Lovejoys per hour. Anyone who genuinely believes that Jo Brand wants people to have acid thrown at them need to consider their own values.

2 minutes ago, nsr said:

So which controversial or offensive statements can be taken as a joke and laughed off, and which can't?

A typical show as performed currently in the UK will start with the arrival of Mr. Punch, followed by the introduction of Judy. They may well kiss and dance before Judy requests Mr. Punch to look after the baby. Punch will fail to carry out this task appropriately. It is rare for Punch to hit his baby these days, but he may well sit on it in a failed attempt to "babysit", or drop it, or even let it go through a sausage machine. In any event, Judy will return, will be outraged, will fetch a stick, and the knockabout will commence. A policeman will arrive in response to the mayhem and will himself be felled by Punch's slapstick. All this is carried out at breakneck farcical speed with much involvement from a gleefully shouting audience. From here on anything goes.

Joey the Clown might appear and suggest, "It's dinner time." This will lead to the production of a string of sausages, which Mr. Punch must look after, although the audience will know that this really signals the arrival of a crocodile whom Mr. Punch might not see until the audience shouts out and lets him know. Punch's subsequent comic struggle with the crocodile might then leave him in need of a Doctor who will arrive and attempt to treat Punch by walloping him with a stick until Punch turns the tables on him. Punch may next pause to count his "victims" by laying puppets on the stage, only for Joey the Clown to move them about behind his back in order to frustrate him. A ghost might then appear and give Mr. Punch a fright before it too is chased off with a slapstick.

In more uncritical times, a hangman would arrive to punish Mr. Punch, only to himself be tricked into sticking his head in the noose. "Do you do the hanging?" is a question often asked of performers. Some will include it where circumstances warrant (such as for an adult audience) but most do not. Some will choose to include it whatever the circumstances and will face down any critics. Finally, the show will often end with the Devil arriving for Mr. Punch (and possibly to threaten his audience as well). Punch—in his final gleefully triumphant moment—will win his fight with the Devil, bring the show to a rousing conclusion, and earn a round of applause.