That Jo Brand "Joke"

Guest Moomintroll
So which controversial or offensive statements can be taken as a joke and laughed off, and which can't?
Usually the ones that are made by comedians who know their audience & are looking for laughs. Political party activists and/or employees and MPs who are actively encouraging violence against other people, not so much.

I would absolutely love it if all jokes were taken as jokes. No one in their right mind would think brand was being serious. And it’s clearly not offensive.

The problem is consistency. Farage is an easy target and as such brand is being widely defended, fair enough I suppose.

The problem is if farage makes a similar joke about, say, Diane Abbott. Will the reaction of this is all just a joke be the same?

Guest Moomintroll
I would absolutely love it if all jokes were taken as jokes. No one in their right mind would think brand was being serious. And it’s clearly not offensive.

The problem is consistency. Farage is an easy target and as such brand is being widely defended, fair enough I suppose.

The problem is if farage makes a similar joke about, say, Diane Abbott. Will the reaction of this is all just a joke be the same?
No, because he is a politician. A comedian making a joke about her would be acceptable although good luck with that as she is beyond parody already.

No, because he is a politician. A comedian making a joke about her would be acceptable although good luck with that as she is beyond parody already.

I’ll repeat that my preference would be to accept all jokes as jokes and for people to just relax a bit.

However, let’s say hypothetically farage did make the same joke about her, having had brand say that about him. Surely that’s hypocritical to hammer him for it, if he’s saying it’s just a joke?

Guest Moomintroll

I’ll repeat that my preference would be to accept all jokes as jokes and for people to just relax a bit.

However, let’s say hypothetically farage did make the same joke about her, having had brand say that about him. Surely that’s hypocritical to hammer him for it, if he’s saying it’s just a joke?
I know we are thinking along the same lines here, that would not be right as his job is not dependent on like minded people laughing at what he says (I know), she is a comedian and, as such her job is to get people laughing. The audience in that programme will be receptive to the target & the implied violence as this seems to be acceptable to some people. From her point of view though, it is just a way to get laughs.
Executive summary is that, she is a comedian, thats her job to say some things that people may pall at, although politicians do exactly the same thing, they are not doing it to make people laugh, albeit we often do in utter disbelief.
I dread to think of what some people would think if they ever heard Jerry Sadowitz.

I do think the Producer was at fault for not editing it out, probably deliberately to drum up publicity for the show. Given the current climate the hysterical overreaction was inevitable, especially as it was available on iplayer for people who had never heard of the show. rather than a one off quip on stage. The show is called Heresy for a reason, it's for saying the normally unsayable. It started off with Coren joking that there was no difference between the categories of the mentally ill and women.

Edited by welshbairn

Dear BBC please please please take the reruns of Dad's Army off the tele immediately. There was one guy waving a bayonet about shouting "they don't like it up 'em." Has he not seen the rising rates for knife crime?

Edited by thisal

1 hour ago, Moomintroll said:
1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:
How dare you laugh at acid attacks! You sir, are worse than Hitler.

No he is worse than Hitler, Stalin & anyone who selects a Kilmarnock player for the national team combined. Not a fan of her or her hypocritical politics but it was just a bloody joke, if you were to watch any reasonably edgy comedians set & take this level of offence at everything they say you will achieve a rate of around 40 Lovejoys per hour. Anyone who genuinely believes that Jo Brand wants people to have acid thrown at them need to consider their own values.

Still not as bad as McKenna though...

Last week conservatives were tripping over themselves to pay tribute to our brave boys who gave their lives on the beaches to fight Nazis. This week they're howling with outrage because someone made a tasteless joke about harming a Nazi.

10 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

They're not really offended by the joke. They are pretending to be, to even up with the "liberal PC brigade" who were offended by something someone else said.

And there it is.

Danny Baker compares a mixed-race baby to a chimpanzee and it's "freedom of speech", "leftist censorship", "thought police." Jo Brand drops this in their laps and the glee is palpable.

Personally I'd probably crack a stauner if someone doused Farage or Tommeh in acid.

This is why it’s all about consistency/double standards whenever these disputes come up. If that’s your opinion then fair enough but don’t go running and crying when Farage or Robinson come out with things you don’t like when you yourself have said you would gain arousal in seeing them doused in acid for their political views.

If it was a male comedian making this joke about a female politician then there would be massive outrage with Jo Cox (rightfully so) being heavily referenced and If it was a joke aimed at Sadjid Navid some people would perceive it as racist. So it’s of no surprise to see Brexiteers and Farage supporters getting upset about the double standards here even if they are the most loathsome people in the country.

Jo Brand hasn’t done anything wrong here either and is just in the middle of this particular feud. She has to make jokes on the show that are topical and will get a quick laugh from the live audience to do her job, most people would have thought nothing of the joke if it hadn’t been flagged up after. I remember Frankie Boyle left mock the week not long after his Rebecca Addlington comment that she looked like someone who was looking at their reflection in a spoon, he said he didn’t want to have to make the comment but was given the photo of the Olympic team and had to say something in mockery that would make the audience laugh. It doesn’t mean it truly reflects the comedians opinions or is inciting hatred in any way they are just doing their job.

1 hour ago, throbber said:

This is why it’s all about consistency/double standards whenever these disputes come up. If that’s your opinion then fair enough but don’t go running and crying when Farage or Robinson come out with things you don’t like when you yourself have said you would gain arousal in seeing them doused in acid for their political views.

If it was a male comedian making this joke about a female politician then there would be massive outrage with Jo Cox (rightfully so) being heavily referenced and If it was a joke aimed at Sadjid Navid some people would perceive it as racist. So it’s of no surprise to see Brexiteers and Farage supporters getting upset about the double standards here even if they are the most loathsome people in the country.

Jo Brand hasn’t done anything wrong here either and is just in the middle of this particular feud. She has to make jokes on the show that are topical and will get a quick laugh from the live audience to do her job, most people would have thought nothing of the joke if it hadn’t been flagged up after. I remember Frankie Boyle left mock the week not long after his Rebecca Addlington comment that she looked like someone who was looking at their reflection in a spoon, he said he didn’t want to have to make the comment but was given the photo of the Olympic team and had to say something in mockery that would make the audience laugh. It doesn’t mean it truly reflects the comedians opinions or is inciting hatred in any way they are just doing their job.

Wrong, just wrong: Adlington had an unfair advantage at swimming because she has the face of a dolphin.  Pete Townshend was the back of the spoon thing and that was from way before Boyle came to the fore..