Has FIFA ruined the Burds World Cup?

53 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

It is a bit different as you can compare the level of skill on display, but the fact that Clyde would beat the USA women’s team blatantly does not mean they are a better standard. 

If they beat them it would mean they are a better standard than them, surely

18 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

Well no, in the same way that if ‘insert random 200 ranked male tennis player,’ beat Serena Williams, it wouldn’t mean he was a better standard of player than her, it just means he has a biological advantage, and hence why the majority of sports at elite level are split by Sex. 

It would also mean that he was better

19 hours ago, ali_91 said:

Well no, in the same way that if ‘insert random 200 ranked male tennis player,’ beat Serena Williams, it wouldn’t mean he was a better standard of player than her, it just means he has a biological advantage, and hence why the majority of sports at elite level are split by Sex. 

Isn't biological advantage generally the deciding factor in who wins at any physical sport?

1 hour ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Posted without comment.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48742850

I'll comment. 

It's better value purely because the demand isint there this is not FIFA trying to make it accessible or encourage young women to consider football. It's because if they tried to set the same prices they would be, quite rightly, called out. Men's football is outrageous especially at show piece matches when the associations are bending over backwards to accommodate as many sponsors as they can, the woman's game doesn't have the same corporate appeal yet, but it will come no doubt.

Less cheating is great however the standard of refereeing has been very poor, how many of the referee's at the world cup are normally referee's at an elite level, I doubt it's that many. Doubtless many will be assistants in the top leagues but I doubt that many are running the match, something they have to look at for 4 years time.

More goals is obvious, there is essentially bigger target and the new rules have helped giving plenty penalties. I'm not sure if I prefer the goals being bigger in comparison to the keeper maybe it would be like being a jockey the bigger you are the bigger the nets. I'm not sure but seeing as the male goals have been the same since the mid 19th century I'm sure FIFA will have to look at it in the not to distant future. 

Men's clubs regularly take part in stonewall activities so to say men's teams are anti LGBT+ is not true however I would say there are probably more people (a vast minority but still) who wouldn't want one of their teams players to be openly Gay or Bisexual, although very few players are openly not straight they may be open about their sexuality within the club and I don't think anyone would want to see a man shoved Infront of a press pack to discuss their sexuality, it has nothing to do with their ability. I would hope though that no player feels they can't be themselves because of social pressures. We have a long way to come but I don't think saying that the woman's game is more inclusive is all that accurate especially with the examples they give.

I can't remember what the other one was so someone else can tackle that.

Tbf most of those "better thans" are directly connected to what many would consider "worse thans". Even though the womens tickets are cheaper, the attendances are lower; and if they were the same price, the attendances would be even lower still. Even though there are more goals and fewer fouls, that is (arguably) connected to the overall standard - or at least certainly the fact the players are smaller but the goals the same size and/or the qualify of defence and goalkeeping - being lower than the mens game and certainly less physical. However an area the womens game certainly has the upper hand is diving, play acting, etc. Then again you didn't see that in mens football until recently, and many connect it to the ever greater cash at stake... so maybe as the womens game becomes better-supported and more rewarding it will creep in there too.

Their point on variety of winners (saying there have been 4 times as many Womens World Cups: but only 2 times as many different winners), is just factually wrong. There have been 21 mens v 8 womens tournaments: 8 winners v 4 is not much different in proportion. Indeed in the first 8 some 5 mens countries won but only 4 womens.

Edited by HibeeJibee

• 2 weeks later...

Fair comment from the pundits after the final last night that it's asking a lot for referees who have zero experience in the use of VAR in their own countries, to come in and be expected to use it perfectly in a major finals tourney.