Has FIFA ruined the Burds World Cup?

VAR has been used extensively for this competition, but the rules governing it's use seem to change depending on who are playing at the time?

Funny that having used VAR to determine if a penalty should be awarded, the two that have been saved have had to be retaken because the goalkeepers have moved fractionally off heir lines?

Now we are into the knock out stages, the 'goalposts' have been moved again. If there is a penalty shoot out the keepers can move off their line now? Excuse me, but a penalty is a penalty if it happens in 120 minutes of play or in a penalty shoot out.  

I know it's just the burds, but the decisions here could have a big effect on the man's game later.

iranian-wome-playing-soccer.jpg

VAR would be improved vastly if there was a challenge situation like in tennis. Give each team two challenges per half and if they're successful they get to keep it, if not they lose it. None of this nonsense checking every decision!

ETA goal line technology should be kept as a minimum compulsory check only. The rest of to the team/management to appeal

Edited by Zapp Brannigan

5 minutes ago, Zapp Brannigan said:

VAR would be improved vastly if there was a challenge situation like in tennis. Give each team two challenges per half and if they're successful they get to keep it, if not they lose it. None of this nonsense checking every decision!

ETA goal line technology should be kept as a minimum compulsory check only. The rest of to the team/management to appeal

Who decides when a team can use a challenge - any player, the captain, or only the manager?

IFAB already considered this but rightly rejected it:

Why are coaches not allowed to request a review?

In principle, there is no need for a coach to request a review because the VAR system is for ‘clear errors’ and it is highly unlikely that a coach would see a clear error that had not been detected by the VAR.

In addition, during the consultations, coaches and players felt strongly that coach reviews were not desirable as they would probably be used mainly for (often unsporting) tactical reasons.

10 minutes ago, Zapp Brannigan said:

I think the problem with that idea is big teams would have a mass of video analysts pouring over every decision, like they do for the challenge system in the NFL and you may as well keep the current system. 

I still think it's been introduced shambolically in the woman's world cup. I fail to understand the need for the referee to jog over to a screen to waste time. Get the VAR ref to make the call and you speed things up. I don't mind the narrow offsides- that's the game, but the goalkeeper ones when it's tight are a bit over the top. 

VAR should be removed from football.

Not heard anyone point out that the referees are obviously not up to the standard. Don't understand why experienced men referees can't be used. Surely gender of the officials doesn't matter, as shown by females refereeing male matches.

I think I'm in the minority but I really like VAR. Adds to the drama.

Looking forward to watching it in the English Premier League next season. They are going to show it on stadium screens so that could be interesting for supporters.

VAR should be removed from football.

Not heard anyone point out that the referees are obviously not up to the standard. Don't understand why experienced men referees can't be used. Surely gender of the officials doesn't matter, as shown by females refereeing male matches.

Men get as much criticism as women. Just look at the Scottish Premiership last season.

It's practically impossible for officials to get everything right anyway. How many times have you watched an incident live then changed your mind when watching the replay? Probably happens at least once every match.

The point of VAR is meant to be to correct "clear and obvious errors". There are too many "debatable" cases being reviewed. That's missing the whole point. If a situation can be seen as "debatable" (i.e. giving a penalty/red etc. or not could both be defended using the laws of the game), the referee's decision should stand and no review should take place. 

Yes it's utterly rubbish that the assistants have been told don't flag for offsides in case you're wrong. The referee could always overrule the assistant if they didn't agree with the call playing on to let the play develop when there has been a clear offside is crazy.

If VAR is to stay and it's not a challenge system then it has to be a constant stream of information to the referee telling them which way throwing go, if a corner kick is over the D and if the freekick is being taken from the exact place the foul was committed. It's utterly bizarre to have a referee not allow a player to enter the field of play before restarting the  and noone to say hold on and then 60 seconds later a penalty is retaken because the assistant didn't see the keeper inches off her line. Either use it or dont, its current slow and cumbersome style doesn't work.

Challenges are for me, providing the clock is paused and play isint stopped to make the challenge.

4 minutes ago, Adam101 said:

Yes it's utterly rubbish that the assistants have been told don't flag for offsides in case you're wrong. The referee could always overrule the assistant if they didn't agree with the call playing on to let the play develop when there has been a clear offside is crazy.

If VAR is to stay and it's not a challenge system then it has to be a constant stream of information to the referee telling them which way throwing go, if a corner kick is over the D and if the freekick is being taken from the exact place the foul was committed. It's utterly bizarre to have a referee not allow a player to enter the field of play before restarting the  and noone to say hold on and then 60 seconds later a penalty is retaken because the assistant didn't see the keeper inches off her line. Either use it or dont, its current slow and cumbersome style doesn't work.

Challenges are for me, providing the clock is paused and play isint stopped to make the challenge.

Pretty much spot on. I'm sure there were at least 3 corners that weren't given tonight.

2 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

You can safely say that in the knowledge that your two bit outfit will never play at a level where it will be introduced.  

Football is not a TV show. 

If a TV show is something that is controlled and even commissioned by broadcasters then yes I'm afriad football especially at the highest level is a TV show.