Scotland Squad announce before September game

14 minutes ago, Aufc said:

Christie is on form at the moment so dont really see why people saying he should be starting is that ridiculous?

Either I'm not getting your point or you've misread what I've said.

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Slightly different when you are liverpool. They will dominate games. We are playing Belgium so won't have much of the ball therefore we need someone up front who will hold the ball up whilst our midfield catches up. Snodgrass wont do that.

Snodgrass would be excellent holding the ball up

He’s a quality player

33 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Anyone who has watched Christie for about 20 minutes will know he's an absolute gem of a player. Would be surprised if he's still at Celtic by next September.

Christie, along with Calum McGregor has really surprised me in the last few seasons based on my early expectations of them (not high, hence the surprise) But I think there something more still to come from Christie, I think he has that little something extra that will make him (if not already) a big game player. Thats a rare quality but I think and hope its the road he is going down. 

11 hours ago, Jeremiah Cole said:

He’s on form playing for the best team

Put any of his rivals for a spot in that Celtic side in a Mickey Mouse league and they’d be in form

you like saying Mickey Mouse. the character is world renowned and generates millions for the parent company.......

9 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Anyone who has watched Christie for about 20 minutes will know he's an absolute gem of a player. Would be surprised if he's still at Celtic by next September.

8 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Christie, along with Calum McGregor has really surprised me in the last few seasons based on my early expectations of them (not high, hence the surprise) But I think there something more still to come from Christie, I think he has that little something extra that will make him (if not already) a big game player. Thats a rare quality but I think and hope its the road he is going down. 

I may have my ICT tinted glasses on here, but he really is the best talent to come out of Scotland for a while.  He's so good.

3 hours ago, KingRocketman II said:

mattsmith.jpg

Wasn't he in all seriousness actually not bad at football?  Trials somewhere?  Matt Smith, mind, not the Doctor.  Although maybe he was.  Imagine Capaldi was a Sounness type.

EDIT: Indeed, Leicester City too, so decent level.  Had to give it up due to an existing spinal condition.  Any Scottish grannies?  Could do a job for us given you don't really need your spine to play for us.

Does anyone know how Russia set up and play these days? Let's be honest, both of the teams we're facing are better than us and what we do without the ball is going to be more important than what we do when we have it. Best I can work out is that they usually play 4-2-3-1, with Monaco's Golovin the main man in the number 10 role, though they played 5-4-1 in Brussels. Are their full backs any good?

Against Brussels it's going to be backs-to-the-wall with the need for a good and easy target to get out.

Scotland aren't good at being canny and inviting opponents on to us, we doin't have the players to have two banks of four and sit deep when we don't have posession. We need to play assertive, front-foot football, so we need to try to get a grip in midfield. Against Russia, swamp it with five busy guys biting legs off? 

30 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Against Brussels it's going to be backs-to-the-wall

Ol' Brexity Gordon's oot again

To be honest, I don't think we have the calibre of players to do anything other than go at them and hope for the best.  If we try to soak up pressure, we'll be lucky to get out unscathed, and the game could end up turning into 11 blue shirts camped inside the box waiting for the inevitable 66th-minute-ish goal to leave us fucked.  We probably don't really have the players to take the game to them either, but I'd feel far more confident in at least playing positive and hoping we can pen them back through worrying about our fairly decent midfield options.

Just go for it.  I hate the unimaginative shout, but intae thum is very much the way here.

21 hours ago, ewan14 said:

Why is Liam ( and it is .... to deliver ) not in the squad ? 

Italy   Belguim

No doubt coaches in the UK wouldn't even know his name! Or say he's "too small"! Never did Messi any harm but the Largs Mafia know better!

1 hour ago, forameus said:

Ol' Brexity Gordon's oot again

To be honest, I don't think we have the calibre of players to do anything other than go at them and hope for the best.  If we try to soak up pressure, we'll be lucky to get out unscathed, and the game could end up turning into 11 blue shirts camped inside the box waiting for the inevitable 66th-minute-ish goal to leave us fucked.  We probably don't really have the players to take the game to them either, but I'd feel far more confident in at least playing positive and hoping we can pen them back through worrying about our fairly decent midfield options.

Just go for it.  I hate the unimaginative shout, but intae thum is very much the way here.

Well I've been called some names in my time but that takes the stroopwafel.

I'm all about tactics, I would pay money to watch two Spanish dwarves pass a ball to each other for two hours and I think British football has ludicrously underachieved because of and up-and-at-'em approach. That said, cooly and rationally, I think you're right. The best chance of us getting somethig from the Belgium game is to go full Scotland and batter them. We still need a shape for when we don't have the ball but we shouldn't sit off, we have to get in their faces.

The Germans have geggenpressing. We have gerrintaethem. 

Archived