Billy Gilmour

Kuro

On 05/09/2021 at 19:55, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

I'd like to see Billy play as the number 10. 

Moving Billy forward means McGinn drops into a deeper position (or out the team altogether). I just don't know why we'd move our top scorer away from the position that he scores all his goals from. Get Ryan Jack or McTominay in there next to Gilmour and leave McGinn behind the strikers. 

I'd like to see Billy play as the number 10. 

That's not his role though. He's the kind of player that keeps the team ticking over and he does it really well. I actually had the fear when he was taken off last night as a player who holds the ball until a pass is on is exactly what we needed to see the game out.

But he isn't that attack minded player, although it would be fantastic if he was.

10 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

It's all gone quiet over there.

He is being overhyped which is a bit disrespectful to Callum McGregor and John McGinn who put in incredible efforts also. I thought the team was really good and he wouldn't have been my man of the match for last night tbh or any of the games really. He is a good and valued member of the team with a key skillset, but some of the sensationalism isn't helpful.

Edited by 2426255

He is being overhyped which is a bit disrespectful to Callum McGregor and John McGinn who put in incredible efforts also. I thought the team was really good and he wouldn't have been my man of the match for last night tbh or any of the games really. He is a good and valued member of the team with a key skillset, but some of the sensationalism isn't helpful.

He reminds me of Barry Ferguson which is the first midfielder I’ve said that about since the day of Ferguson. His ability to take the balls in tight pockets of space and keep it are crucial. He also gives confidence to the likes of McGregor and the defence as he is so calm on the ball.

I get that it is still early so don’t want to over hype him but he is definitely going to be better than messi and ronaldo

2 minutes ago, Aufc said:

He reminds me of Barry Ferguson which is the first midfielder I’ve said that about since the day of Ferguson. His ability to take the balls in tight pockets of space and keep it are crucial. He also gives confidence to the likes of McGregor and the defence as he is so calm on the ball.

I get that it is still early so don’t want to over hype him but he is definitely going to be better than messi and ronaldo

I get the Barry Ferguson comparison have made that one myself. However and time will tell, but dulling it down to just technique and ability he’s got the potential to be a massive upgrade and streets ahead of Barry Ferguson. 

I think he needs to physically develop a little more as he’s still very slight but he’s only just turned 20 so I would hope and expect that will come naturally over the next couple of years. 

3 hours ago, 8MileBU said:

I get the Barry Ferguson comparison have made that one myself. However and time will tell, but dulling it down to just technique and ability he’s got the potential to be a massive upgrade and streets ahead of Barry Ferguson. 

I think he needs to physically develop a little more as he’s still very slight but he’s only just turned 20 so I would hope and expect that will come naturally over the next couple of years. 

I'm not sure that's necessary, as it's not his game.  David Silva and myriad other Spaniards are diminutive.  Strength is helpful, so long as it doesn't then hinder the best parts of your game.

31 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

I'm not sure that's necessary, as it's not his game.  David Silva and myriad other Spaniards are diminutive.  Strength is helpful, so long as it doesn't then hinder the best parts of your game.

I’m not meaning he needs to be a hulking big clugger. David Silva is a good example of what I mean though. Just an extra couple of pounds of muscle strength would do Gilmour good but I think it’ll come naturally over the next year or two as he’s barely just out of his skinny teenager days.

Edited by 8MileBU

He doesnt need pace really, so a bit of bulk to protect the ball by brawn rather than brain occasionally would do not harm. The ore strings on your bow the better obviously. Also, would give him a wee touch more in the ball winning dept. This is polishing though, as he is clearly outstanding as he is. If he could gain effective strength then theres really nothing stopping him becoming one of the worlds finest midfielders (thats not beyond him as is tbh)

His weaknesses are currently providing telling passes in the final third, shooting and tracking runners. These are all things it's possible to learn over time, if he can add them to the very obvious natural talent he has as a footballer he could easily be one of the best midfielders in the world.

2 hours ago, velo army said:

Modric is the model I'd like him to copy, in spite of the obvious Xavi comparisons. 

He is obviously brilliant but his shooting is poor. That's something that a bit of practise can solve.

If you look at some of his finishes admittedly from youth football. His finishing is pretty pretty good.

I think when he's a bit bigger and stronger it will help as he will get to the chance quicker. Also he will have more power to guide shots (which seemed to be his thing). Rather than put the laces thru it.

Also, unrelated to your point. B ut a few people have mentioned him playing further forward and been shot down.

When he was younger he played as a ten at times and sometimes as an 8. He can play all over midfield. I wouldn't be surprised to see him play different positions throughout his career. He's certainly good enough to.

20 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

If you look at some of his finishes admittedly from youth football. His finishing is pretty pretty good.

I think when he's a bit bigger and stronger it will help as he will get to the chance quicker. Also he will have more power to guide shots (which seemed to be his thing). Rather than put the laces thru it.

Also, unrelated to your point. B ut a few people have mentioned him playing further forward and been shot down.

When he was younger he played as a ten at times and sometimes as an 8. He can play all over midfield. I wouldn't be surprised to see him play different positions throughout his career. He's certainly good enough to.

Aye I agree with the latter point. I don't see how he should be limited only to the deep lying role. Good to hear about the finishing. It could be that he just needs to relax more as he seems to, by his own admission, get a bit too excited (against, for instance, Moldova).

12 hours ago, velo army said:

It could be that he just needs to relax more as he seems to, by his own admission, get a bit too excited (against, for instance, Moldova).

Some good original thinking there from Velo Army...👀😄

"Obviously shooting in training is different from shooting in games,” said Clarke. ... On the training pitch: no crowd, no pressure. If the game is 0-0 or 1-0 they just tighten up in front of goal when they should relax and get the finish. That is what the coaches told me."  Steve Clarke

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/steve-clarke-tells-his-strikers-to-relax-and-goals-will-come-7z0dn7tz5#:~:text=“Obviously shooting in training is,in games%2C” said Clarke.&text=On the training pitch%3A no,what the coaches told me.

Edited by 2426255

Anyone know why he was left out yesterday?

Looking at the Norwich City forums there seems to be mixed responses to his performances so far. It's probably knee jerk crap but has anyone been following him? Was he carrying a wee injury perhaps?