Billy Gilmour

Kuro

Callum McGregor is good because he covers the forward runs of Andy Robertson and Kieran Tierney.  Would Billy Gilmour do that? or would Scott McTominay be pushed to the left side of midfield and Billy Gilmour continuing on the right? Assuming we play 2 holding midfielders at home to Israel.

Decisions, decisions...

Edited by 2426255

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

Surely Scott McTominay plays before Calum McGregor on account of being better than him in every department, by quite a way?

Not for me. Our 3 best performances in recent times have been Serbia away, England away, and Austria away. In all 3 McGregor has played in a double pivot (once with Jack, twice with Gilmour). McTominay is clearly the better player, but I'd argue we're a better team with McGregor in there. 

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

Surely Scott McTominay plays before Calum McGregor on account of being better than him in every department, by quite a way?

I don’t know why but McTominay has been largely anonymous for Scotland when asked to play a holding midfield role. He’ll hopefully have more license to drive forward with Gilmour beside him but there’s a credible argument for McGregor playing instead in certain games.

30 minutes ago, Coooombe said:

Not for me. Our 3 best performances in recent times have been Serbia away, England away, and Austria away. In all 3 McGregor has played in a double pivot (once with Jack, twice with Gilmour). McTominay is clearly the better player, but I'd argue we're a better team with McGregor in there. 

Not sure how it can be judged we're a better team with Gilmour and McGregor over Gilmour and McTominay when we haven't even paired the latter together yet in midfield. 

19 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Not sure how it can be judged we're a better team with Gilmour and McGregor over Gilmour and McTominay when we haven't even paired the latter together yet in midfield. 

That's fair, and against Moldova and/or the Faroes I'd try them both together. For Israel I'd stick with the tried and tested though. 

1 hour ago, Coooombe said:

Mctominay best attribute is box to box

Mcginn does that for us, and more 

I don't see Mctominay getting in a midfield 3

On 18/09/2021 at 10:41, Binos said:

He can’t play on the right of one either 

40 minutes ago, Binos said:

I don't see Mctominay getting in a midfield 3

So Scott McTominay wouldn't get in defence or midfield for you then unless we have four centre mids in there.

Edited by 2426255

I feel like I've said this several times but we have only played one sitting midfielder in our last 4 home games: Gilmour v Moldova, McGregor v Croatia, McTominay v Czech Republic and McLean v Faroes. So what makes everyone so sure we will play two against Israel.

I feel like I've said this several times but we have only played one sitting midfielder in our last 4 home games: Gilmour v Moldova, McGregor v Croatia, McTominay v Czech Republic and McLean v Faroes. So what makes everyone so sure we will play two against Israel.
I think we would've played two against Croatia had Gilmour not caught Covid but I could be wrong.

2 hours ago, 2426255 said:

So Scott McTominay wouldn't get in defence or midfield for you then unless we have four centre mids in there.

We should be ditching 3 centre halves and 2 upfront in favour of getting more players in midfield which is our strongest area

6 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

If Norwich's graphic is accurate then should be interesting to see him further forward in a 3-5-2/5-3-2 with Rupp as the holding midfielder.

E_03NVQVkAk8IZq?format=jpg&name=large

Is there any persuading of gunn as well 

Seeing as we're in need of a keeper or two

46 minutes ago, accies1874 said:
2 hours ago, 2426255 said:

I think we would've played two against Croatia had Gilmour not caught Covid but I could be wrong.

We could've still played two in there. A few people said Fleck was in the squad for a reason or McTominay & McGregor could have played it with Hendry in the back three.

Steve Clarke chose to play one sitter on purpose in my view, not because he was forced into it through Gilmours absence and there is reasonable evidence to suggest he might do the same at home to Israel.

Edited by 2426255