Billy Gilmour

Kuro

His composure on the ball and hold up play is excellent. I am used to watching Scotland and seeing the defence under steady pressure. Gilmour moving the ball buys them time and stops a lot of problems from happening. McGinn is another who can take the game to the opposition and gives them something to think about. Whilst we have had some decent players recently i haven't seen many like these two that other teams struggle to compete with  

I agree with the assessments above, but I think its worth adding a bit of mind boggling context........ I mean, if Gilmour can make the discussed improvements, which are clearly very acheivable to an immensely talented 20 year old.... I mean if you get Gilmour to 10 goals a season and no discernable defensive frailty (not talking about him tackling like Kante, just not standing out as weak) you are looking at the best midfielder in the world.

Imagine saying that about a Scottish midfielder ffs. 

12 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I agree with the assessments above, but I think its worth adding a bit of mind boggling context........ I mean, if Gilmour can make the discussed improvements, which are clearly very acheivable to an immensely talented 20 year old.... I mean if you get Gilmour to 10 goals a season and no discernable defensive frailty (not talking about him tackling like Kante, just not standing out as weak) you are looking at the best midfielder in the world.

Imagine saying that about a Scottish midfielder ffs. 

He scored goals for the Chelsea youth teams and also took their set pieces including free kicks and penalties. If he can develop that in the senior set up you could be right. He’s got everything.

Also love the fact he took a sore one to win the penalty last night. And If you can remember, against Luxembourg pre-Euro’s he was assaulted yet bounced back up and wanted to play on.

5 minutes ago, SWMM82 said:

He scored goals for the Chelsea youth teams and also took their set pieces including free kicks and penalties. If he can develop that in the senior set up you could be right. He’s got everything.

Also love the fact he took a sore one to win the penalty last night. And If you can remember, against Luxembourg pre-Euro’s he was assaulted yet bounced back up and wanted to play on.

I also enjoyed the way he skelped into the tackle for which he was booked.

3 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I also enjoyed the way he skelped into the tackle for which he was booked.

From my vantage point that looked a completely fair and terrific challenge. Haven't seen any replays, was it worse than it first looked?

47 minutes ago, MarkoRaj said:

From my vantage point that looked a completely fair and terrific challenge. Haven't seen any replays, was it worse than it first looked?

Totally agree. My point was merely that he went in full blooded. No shirking. I thought it was a fair tackle. 

Maybe a bit clichéd but I remember reading something a while back that mentioned the best midfielders in the world are those that constantly take in their surroundings. Watching Gilmour, it’s evident he has this quality. His head seems like it’s on a 360 degree pivot, he is always scanning what’s around him, knowing his next move before he even receives the ball.

3 minutes ago, AJF said:

Maybe a bit clichéd but I remember reading something a while back that mentioned the best midfielders in the world are those that constantly take in their surroundings. Watching Gilmour, it’s evident he has this quality. His head seems like it’s on a 360 degree pivot, he is always scanning what’s around him, knowing his next move before he even receives the ball.

He also constantly uses his hands, always pointing to others. Either where he wants it, where they should put it, what space to move into etc. Its highly noticable

8 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

He also constantly uses his hands, always pointing to others. Either where he wants it, where they should put it, what space to move into etc. Its highly noticable

He's a rare breed of footballer where when you see him beside you, it gives you the confidence that you can win games. Sorry to reference Celtic, but Sutton, I think it was, said no matter who you were playing, if Larsson was there, you had the belief you could get a result. I genuinely think Gilmour has brought that to the team. His energy and enthusiasm is infectious.

I'm sure there were some stats on how many times world class midfielders "scanned" and one of Gilmour's idols Fabregas was really high up. I think Fabregas has had a big effect on his career, and training with three top, top midfielders last season and the season before will have helped too. If you simplify it, they all have a key feature that you can see Gilmour possesses to a lesser degree. Jorginho's deep playmaking, Kovacic's dribbling/"press resistance" (incredibly wanky phrase but I couldn't think of a better one) and Kante's tenacity. I'm not saying he's only learned these from them but seeing what they do in training will have helped.

He is living up to the hype. This is what we were promised when John Fleck came onto the scene.

Rangers will feel absolutely robbed. 500k at the time? Although they'll be due a chunk of Gilmours future transfer fees should he move on?

Edited by sergie's no1 fan

59 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

He is living up to the hype. This is what we were promised when John Fleck came onto the scene.

Rangers will feel absolutely robbed. 500k at the time? Although they'll be due a chunk of Gilmours future transfer fees should he move on?

I think it came out to a million quid plus a sell-on percentage, in exchange for effectively giving Chelsea first refusal.

Its a little bit sad not to see him break through at us, but the truth is that talents that good that come through anywhere in Europe are nearly always snapped up by elite clubs for their first pro contract. Just the way the game is nowadays.

We’ll just have to make do with an age 40 Billy Gilmour coming home after multiple Ballon D’Or’s instead. In the meantime though, I’ll settle for watching him vanquish all comers at Hampden.

Edited by G51

18 minutes ago, Karpaty Lviv said:

Think he will stay at Chelsea or be snapped up elsewhere in Europe? Obviously he’ll be a regular at Chelsea in the new couple of years, what team do we think he’d suit? 

I said it in the summer when a loan move was mooted but I’d have liked to have seen him go to the Bundesliga. I’m not overly familiar with all the squads of the Bundesliga sides outwith Bayern Munich and Borussia Dortmund, but I could see Gilmour doing well and definitely think he’s good enough to start for pretty much most sides in that league other than Bayern Munich and Borussia Dortmund. To be honest I think he’d do well at both them as well but both have pretty strong midfields. 

1 hour ago, Karpaty Lviv said:

Think he will stay at Chelsea or be snapped up elsewhere in Europe? Obviously he’ll be a regular at Chelsea in the new couple of years, what team do we think he’d suit? 

I’d like to see him in Spain or Italy.

It's very exciting looking at the age of our current squad. Keeper aside, we've got a really decent squad right now and for the foreseeable future too. Didn't realise McSauce was only 24!
Aye, only 1 outfield player in his 30s (just) - Cooper.

Quite overlooked how Clarke has established such a youthful (compared to Scotland squads as far back as I can remember) squad. Much better than begging the likes of Snodgrass, Fletcher, McArthur etc to come back.

I thought McGinn was a year older than he is too. He's had some career already.

I think@craigkillie was talking recently about how we've got a good few players who should get more caps than Scotland players have tended to recently. Hopefully the goals column gets beefed up too.