Billy Gilmour

Kuro

10 hours ago, Satoshi said:

Er, think you should read those quotes again, or this thread generally.

He was being repeatedly attacked and the calls for him to go on loan to Rangers or the championship were ludicrous at the time, even more so now.

Do you really believe all of the posters quoted only wanted him to succeed and were concerned? That is the height of naivety.

Aye the rangers stuff was totally legit 😅

For your last point, yes, I do. One of the most talented players we've produced in many a year, of course we all want him to do well and not watch him struggle....which he was at the time, despite your protestations 

20 minutes ago, Squalor Vic said:

Aye the rangers stuff was totally legit 😅

For your last point, yes, I do. One of the most talented players we've produced in many a year, of course we all want him to do well and not watch him struggle....which he was at the time, despite your protestations 

Wow, I didn't believe people this naïve generally existed.

Believe it or not there are people on this sub forum who do not like the national team and who constantly attack our players. And they don't really bother to hide it.

So your kumbaya everyone loves Scotland really is, er, a bit wild. 

Of course, this exists in all nations but is particularly prevalent in Scotland for some reason. Not helped that our two biggest clubs openly associate with England and Ireland. But in your mind all those guys with Tricolors and England shirts all want the best for Scotland and all our players 😂

Oh to be young and naïve, sorry to open your eyes to the world but it was gonna happen eventually. 

The wall of shame meanwhile will hopefully discourage those posters from their dreadful predictions in future.

20 minutes ago, Satoshi said:

Wow, I didn't believe people this naïve generally existed.

Believe it or not there are people on this sub forum who do not like the national team and who constantly attack our players. And they don't really bother to hide it.

So your kumbaya everyone loves Scotland really is, er, a bit wild. 

Of course, this exists in all nations but is particularly prevalent in Scotland for some reason. Not helped that our two biggest clubs openly associate with England and Ireland. But in your mind all those guys with Tricolors and England shirts all want the best for Scotland and all our players 😂

Oh to be young and naïve, sorry to open your eyes to the world but it was gonna happen eventually. 

The wall of shame meanwhile will hopefully discourage those posters from their dreadful predictions in future.

I mean I'm not going through 225 pages as I have a life but I'm pretty sure the positives posts for Gilmour outweigh the negatives by a considerable margin. 

I take it everyone else who used to engage with you has you blocked and I can understand why. It's not healthy the way you post on here, being so entrenched in a view that you just can't comprehend someone might have a different opinion, but wanting the same thing ultimately, which is Gilmour doing well and being a top player. You also twist things people say too. It's all quite bizarre behavior but as long as you're happy that's the main thing.

2 hours ago, 2426255 said:

He had a good game yesterday, gives us good control in the middle of the pitch and it was a good game for him to come into.

The team has lots of good midfield options depending on how what we need from the game. Gilmour, McGregor, McGinn, McTominay, Armstrong, Christie as well as Jack, McLean and Ferguson have all got minutes playing different midfield roles in the four games of this campaign so far.

Interesting looking ahead with a full season to go as well - if he were to get a decent move and/or play regularly David Turnbull could be a very interesting option in that midfield as well.

I'm interested to see Ferguson too, haven't seen much of him in Italy but heard at one point he was playing pretty far forward - could be a good alternate for McGinn in our system as, arse aside, think he has some similar qualities to be the AM who is primarily extremely annoying

Take your point, but I don't personally view it as just like for like replacements. Each player brings different qualities to the team. Lewis Ferguson potentially does a few things better than John McGinn and maybe under certain circumstances can just start in his own right, perhaps even alongside McGinn or McTominay who he is most commonly compared to.

I don't really buy into the idea of our best XI and then players who are slightly underneath them I just think a lot of selection and in game decisions are game specific and/or situation specific. If for example we were losing last night against Georgia I think Stuart Armstrong would have been introduced. There's a quote I picked up recently about why Lewis Ferguson was brought on against Spain instead of using Billy Gilmour.

He (Gilmour) was trying to catch the gaffer’s eye. That’s what you do, don’t you? Even if the full-back goes down! That’s what you do because you want to get on the pitch. It didn’t happen because of the tactical changes we had to make to make sure we didn’t lose the game. We put Lewis Ferguson on instead for tactical reasons.

John Carver

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/billy-gilmour-journey-scotland-star-30225391

Turnbull is a unique player whom I really like. In my opinion he offers something that we maybe don't really have in the team in terms of central attacking play. I'd be glad to see him back in the Scotland set up.

10 hours ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Billy is a good player who needs to nail down a regular starting place at club level. 

Both can true, doesn't have to be one or the other. 

I'm expecting him to play more minutes next season, certainly at the beginning of the season, but only time will tell if he's able to nail down a regular place at a very good Premier League side. I hope he does as he showed on Tuesday and Saturday how much he can bring to us when he's full of confidence. 

11 hours ago, Squalor Vic said:

I mean I'm not going through 225 pages as I have a life but I'm pretty sure the positives posts for Gilmour outweigh the negatives by a considerable margin. 

I take it everyone else who used to engage with you has you blocked and I can understand why. It's not healthy the way you post on here, being so entrenched in a view that you just can't comprehend someone might have a different opinion, but wanting the same thing ultimately, which is Gilmour doing well and being a top player. You also twist things people say too. It's all quite bizarre behavior but as long as you're happy that's the main thing.

Overall they probably do not, certainly not since he went to Norwich. But don't believe just me, loads of other posters have commented on how much stick he gets - it's quite unbelievable to be honest.

Which posters have blocked me? Bing pretended to for a while but kept crawling back, Velos Army posts non stop about how he blocks me but still reads my posts. I'm not aware of anyone else (the first two make me laugh tho - keep it up!).

I'm not entrenched in any view, I'm entrenched in the evidence. Whilst the wall of shame thought Gilmour was doing dreadfully he actually wasn't, he was getting a big money move to an ambitious premier league team. I knew he wouldn't start instantly for Brighton, I provided substantial evidence that they take time to bed in all their players and I knew Gilmour wouldn't be any different. Whilst his attitude and physicality came out I pointed out there was actually zero evidence on this from anyone involved in football, and to the contrary every manager who has ever had Gilmour has publicly praised him. When some posters said Chelsea wouldn't offer him a new contract and were desperate to force him out, I pointed out they actually extended his contract and that the owner even told him he was about to sack the coach in an attempt to keep him.

So I'm only entrenched to what the evidence says.

And if you really thought that Chelsea wouldn't extend Gilmours contract (when they had a long history of extending no hopers like Lewis Bakers contract) then you don't want what is best for Gilmour and for him to be a top player - you want to shit on one of our players. Which is  a very common theme on this board. The poster who made up statistics to try and prove that Tierney was Arsenals 4th choice left back wasn't wanting what was best for Tierney, he wanted to shit on one of our players and got utterly called out on it. This happens in club football as well as international football, can't believe it's news for you - but we were all naïve hopeful teenagers at one point I guess.

Also from the wall of shame, numbers has went on to be an excellent contributor to the board. Posters can change and drastically improve their contribution when their primary aim isn't just attacking our players. I'm not sure any of the others from the wall of shame will quite have that come to Damascus moment, but if they could be less shit for a while that would be good too. The only way to improve things is to keep calling them out and eventually they will get the message. 

Edited by Satoshi

1 hour ago, Satoshi said:

Overall they probably do not, certainly not since he went to Norwich. But don't believe just me, loads of other posters have commented on how much stick he gets - it's quite unbelievable to be honest.

Which posters have blocked me? Bing pretended to for a while but kept crawling back, Velos Army posts non stop about how he blocks me but still reads my posts. I'm not aware of anyone else (the first two make me laugh tho - keep it up!).

I'm not entrenched in any view, I'm entrenched in the evidence. Whilst the wall of shame thought Gilmour was doing dreadfully he actually wasn't, he was getting a big money move to an ambitious premier league team. I knew he wouldn't start instantly for Brighton, I provided substantial evidence that they take time to bed in all their players and I knew Gilmour wouldn't be any different. Whilst his attitude and physicality came out I pointed out there was actually zero evidence on this from anyone involved in football, and to the contrary every manager who has ever had Gilmour has publicly praised him. When some posters said Chelsea wouldn't offer him a new contract and were desperate to force him out, I pointed out they actually extended his contract and that the owner even told him he was about to sack the coach in an attempt to keep him.

So I'm only entrenched to what the evidence says.

And if you really thought that Chelsea wouldn't extend Gilmours contract (when they had a long history of extending no hopers like Lewis Bakers contract) then you don't want what is best for Gilmour and for him to be a top player - you want to shit on one of our players. Which is  a very common theme on this board. The poster who made up statistics to try and prove that Tierney was Arsenals 4th choice left back wasn't wanting what was best for Tierney, he wanted to shit on one of our players and got utterly called out on it. This happens in club football as well as international football, can't believe it's news for you - but we were all naïve hopeful teenagers at one point I guess.

Also from the wall of shame, numbers has went on to be an excellent contributor to the board. Posters can change and drastically improve their contribution when their primary aim isn't just attacking our players. I'm not sure any of the others from the wall of shame will quite have that come to Damascus moment, but if they could be less shit for a while that would be good too. The only way to improve things is to keep calling them out and eventually they will get the message. 

You slate people for in your mind being "critical" of our players and bring the forum down. Yet all you do is post screeds and screeds of this repetitive tedious shite. It's fucking boring mate. 

3 hours ago, accies1874 said:

I'm expecting him to play more minutes next season, certainly at the beginning of the season, but only time will tell if he's able to nail down a regular place at a very good Premier League side. I hope he does as he showed on Tuesday and Saturday how much he can bring to us when he's full of confidence. 

That's it for me. Rarely let's his country down but needs to be a bit more consistent domestically to nail down a regular starting spot.

13 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

I knew he'd had a good game, but that makes it look even better.  He barely got out of 3rd gear and strolled around the Georgians.  His ability to pass through the lines and progress the ball is mighty impressive - as is his ability to regain possession.  That's an aspect he's adding to his game.

Whenever he plays, he seems to improve McGregor even more.  I really enjoyed that format with a 'box of 4' or whatever arrangement it was.  During the game it seemed like we could pass through the Georgians at will, and those highlights show it.  With a bit composure in the final 3rd, and perhaps better conditions, we would have created quite a bit more.

That mainly shows him in possession as well. I thought he did some outstanding stuff off the ball as well. I'm sure at one point he made a slide tackle to halt a counter attack that he had no right to get near the ball and did.

11 hours ago, dundeefc1783 said:

You slate people for in your mind being "critical" of our players and bring the forum down. Yet all you do is post screeds and screeds of this repetitive tedious shite. It's fucking boring mate. 

I point out when posters made drastically bad predictions when trying to talk down our players.

You are actually worse than that. You make so many posts on this board about how much you don't like my posts. I hear you. I don't care. So I don't know why you waste everyones time with it. It's incredibly tedious - I'm sure in your self aware moments even you realise that.

If you don't like it don't read it, and certainly don't comment on it.

In the meantime, I'll keep posting about the football. I'm delighted to have got it right defending Tierney and Gilmour for some of the absolute shit being flung at them over the course of this season. Both have stepped up when it mattered for Scotland.

If either had played badly you can bet the usual suspects would have been gloating like f**k on their threads, so nice of them to get a taste of their own medicine.

As for those white knighting them? f**k knows what that is about.

• 1 month later...

Dahoud mostly played as a sole DM in buildup with Gross pushing up on the same line as Pedro and Milner inverting as the ball progressed, but when Gilmour came on they moved to a 4-2-4 with a narrow double pivot with Gross actually the deeper of the two which is what resulted in the fourth goal. I thought Dahoud grew into the game well, and I can see why De Zerbi might trust him in that more isolated role where a lack of physicality is more susceptible to getting exposed. I wonder if the change in shape was a result of Gilmour coming on or how the game was playing out. 

40 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

Dahoud mostly played as a sole DM in buildup with Gross pushing up on the same line as Pedro and Milner inverting as the ball progressed, but when Gilmour came on they moved to a 4-2-4 with a narrow double pivot with Gross actually the deeper of the two which is what resulted in the fourth goal. I thought Dahoud grew into the game well, and I can see why De Zerbi might trust him in that more isolated role where a lack of physicality is more susceptible to getting exposed. I wonder if the change in shape was a result of Gilmour coming on or how the game was playing out. 

What was Gilmour's role when Luton had the ball?