Billy Gilmour

Kuro

5 hours ago, KingRocketman II said:

its worth remembering that Robertson disappeared for quite a while after moving to Liverpool and making one or two early appearances. a few folks were already saying the move was a mistake if I recall - I was probably one of them if I was on here at the time......

I believe Robertson went in to speak to Klopp with the intention of asking for a move, but Klopp then spend a significant amount of time telling Robertson what he needed to improve in order to get a game.  He went away and did so and has hardly been out of the team since.  

Robertson was a bit older, to be fair, and seems particularly thoughtful for a football player, but I’m sure Gilmour (and indeed McTominay, who seems to be out of the starting XI) will do likewise.  On the opposite hand is your man Oliver Burke, who despite seemingly being a level headed sort, clearly isn’t doing what multiple coaches have asked of him, and so keeps getting punted.

It’s hardly a crisis that he’s not getting a game at the moment.

He is getting a game, just from the bench instead of starting. He was dropped into the bench after having an off game vs Newcastle which is probably the correct thing to do with a player his age. It's hardly like he's been bombed out of the first team squad. Lampard will start him again in the appropriate fixture.

ETA: I see Burke started again yesterday and lasted the 90. He must be doing something right

Kante out for tonight and likely the weekend too. Kovacic out for tonight, touch and go for the weekend. Maybe a chance for a couple of starts coming up.

Whoever plays in the next few games it doesn't seem like Jorginho will be there for much longer anyway.

Edit: and he's starting. No Jorginho so he'll be the pivot.

Actually a big boost for him to be starting with Jorginho and Loftus-Cheek on the bench, two senior players one Italian international one English international. Gilmour is about 5-4 and turned 19 three weeks ago.

That's enormously impressive, there are very very few kids that age starting at top teams in Europe in that position keeping guys like that out of the team.

He's the best player to come out of Scotland for thirty years and would walk into any team in the world in a couple of years. He would start for Barcelona right now, we don't have any other kids like that.

9 minutes ago, Blootoon87 said:

He's had a decent game. Nothing flash, but kept it simple and not made many mistakes. I think he even won a header in the build up to Chelsea's third.

He's absolutely sensational. I don't think people understand how good you have to be to be basically strolling through games at that level at 19, in a position with such responsibility and no hiding place, in the most hectic league in the world. He's going right to the top, and will be worth well over a hundred million very soon.

With young players I usually don't even judge what they do, it doesn't matter as everyone can play these days and knows their job. Its more about looking at how comfortable they are in their environment are they struggling to keep their head above water a wee bit out of their depth or are they coping.

Gilmour pretty much strolls it every time and has played less than 20 senior games. :Looks like he's been first choice for ten years and is perfectly calm and unflustered.  He had a tough half at Leicester recently but that's brilliant for a kid, it will have made him a better player.  

He could become the best midfielder in Europe.

Edited by Carnoustie Young Guvnor

I can see him eventually getting the same mindless criticism that Barry Ferguson did about being a crab and similar nonsense, because a lot of what he does is about keeping it simple. You rarely see him in the final third but he always seems to be there at the start of moves. Maybe with the likes of Xavi being more appreciated now folk will understand the type of player he is.

2 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I can see him eventually getting the same mindless criticism that Barry Ferguson did about being a crab and similar nonsense, because a lot of what he does is about keeping it simple. You rarely see him in the final third but he always seems to be there at the start of moves. Maybe with the likes of Xavi being more appreciated now folk will understand the type of player he is.

Aye but those people are idiots can be dismissed. Barry Ferguson was a phenomenal player, just a shame he's a small minded type who couldn't see past Ibrox. He could have left Rangers at 19 or 21 and played for one of the top clubs in the world in Italy, Spain, England wherever he wanted. Tremendous player.

Aye but those people are idiots can be dismissed. Barry Ferguson was a phenomenal player, just a shame he's a small minded type who couldn't see past Ibrox. He could have left Rangers at 19 or 21 and played for one of the top clubs in the world in Italy, Spain, England wherever he wanted. Tremendous player.

I think that’s another reason why people didn’t like him as well. We really have the makings of a tremendous midfield. Shame about the defence...

Ferguson was a good player, phenomenal is pushing it a bit though. I think he'll be treated more like Darren Fletcher tbh. He'll be a steady player at a top club and when he fails to replicate his club performances in a Scotland jersey he'll be slated by the knuckledraggers who don't realise he's playing alongside far worse players at International level.

5 minutes ago, Enigma said:

I think that’s another reason why people didn’t like him as well. We really have the makings of a tremendous midfield. Shame about the defence...

Aye unfortunately about 45% of people in Scotland grow up as Old Firm fans and it brings a myopia that has stunted the careers of many of our best players. Look at Calum Mcgregor now wtf is he doing still at Celtic its ridiculous, if he was Danish he'd have left years ago.

The team currently fourth in the EPL wanted to sign him last summer and he turned them down to play Hamilton and St Mirren for the millionth time. Idiotic. Same with Forrest, he's won the title up here about forty times its ludicrous he stayed his whole career, should have left three or four years ago and played at a higher level, he would have become a better player.

Look at a player like Ajer at Celtic, he just sees Celtic as a stepping stone to the highest level, same with Van Dijk and Wanyama and several others Ki etc. Scottish players, some of them, sadly see them as the be all and end all and they don't fulfill their potential as a result.

5 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Ferguson was a good player, phenomenal is pushing it a bit though. I think he'll be treated more like Darren Fletcher tbh. He'll be a steady player at a top club and when he fails to replicate his club performances in a Scotland jersey he'll be slated by the knuckledraggers who don't realise he's playing alongside far worse players at International level.

Darren Fletcher was a phenomenal player. He won the Premiership about six times that's absolutely top drawer stuff.

Aye unfortunately about 45% of people in Scotland grow up as Old Firm fans and it brings a myopia that has stunted the careers of many of our best players. Look at Calum Mcgregor now wtf is he doing still at Celtic its ridiculous, if he was Danish he'd have left years ago.
The team currently fourth in the EPL wanted to sign him last summer and he turned them down to play Hamilton and St Mirren for the millionth time. Idiotic. Same with Forrest, he's won the title up here about forty times its ludicrous he stayed his whole career, should have left three or four years ago and played at a higher level, he would have become a better player.
Look at a player like Ajer at Celtic, he just sees Celtic as a stepping stone to the highest level, same with Van Dijk and Wanyama and several others Ki etc. Scottish players, some of them, sadly see them as the be all and end all and they don't fulfill their potential as a result.
A lot of it is to do with certain players knowing where their bread is buttered too I'd imagine. I don't think I've ever saw Forrest stand out in a game against better opposition. Even in the OF games I've watched him in he's been anonymous. Better to be a big fish in a small pond I imagine.

Darren Fletcher was a phenomenal player. He won the Premiership about six times that's absolutely top drawer stuff.
He was a really good player. But the abuse he used to get whenever I went to Hampden was unreal: "He fucking shows up for United but is utter pish for us". Lost count the number of times shite like this was shouted.

Just now, 19QOS19 said:
4 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

A lot of it is to do with certain players knowing where their bread is buttered too I'd imagine. I don't think I've ever saw Forrest stand out in a game against better opposition. Even in the OF games I've watched him in he's been anonymous. Better to be a big fish in a small pond I imagine.

Maybe but I doubt he thinks like that, all top sportsmen are full of confidence in themselves.  But if he wanted to become the best player he possibly could be, however good that was, he had to leave Celtic years ago. He's 29 now I think, no way should you still be there past 24, even that's a bit late.