The official Boris pm cluster-fuck thread

pandarilla

52 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

1. You kinda did.

2. At this precise moment, no-one has. The only time Corbyn could have done so in the last session would have been on the one day after Johnson's appointment and before recess. This would have been effortlessly spun by the Tories, and accepted by the media and the hard of thinking, as petty and premature.  Once Johnson has had a summer to fúck up everything he touches, Corbyn will, I'm confident, table that vote. When it will win, Not when ueen Jo says so. Because...

3. I'm not sure of your level of education, but I'm fairly sure that 319 (Inc DDs) is bigger than 245. And if you reckon No Deal suits anyone on our front bench then you really must have some Mail/Express loyalty points. That's fucking insane.

All good and well, but unless there is a huge about turn and fast, and the Withdrawal Agreement is passed, we leave with no deal on the 31st of October. Factor in six weeks for an election, which is ambitious and maybe not achievable, then Corbyn's deadline is mid-September. In the meantime, who asks for an extension, or is that a matter for the next PM? A PM who possibly will be happy with no deal...

If no deal is to be avoided, the government needs to be removed ASAP. 

If I'd earned Express/Mail loyalty points I'd be on here championing Johnson and no deal, which oddly enough I'm not.

If there is a no deal the Tories will be kicked to pieces by the elctorate and Corbyn has his best shot at being PM. No deal will be a complete disaster for any party that oversees it. He isn't especially bothered about the EU so yes, it will largely suit him. The rest of the front bench may not be so happy with that, granted.

1 hour ago, Michael W said:

All good and well, but unless there is a huge about turn and fast, and the Withdrawal Agreement is passed, we leave with no deal on the 31st of October. Factor in six weeks for an election, which is ambitious and maybe not achievable, then Corbyn's deadline is mid-September. In the meantime, who asks for an extension, or is that a matter for the next PM? A PM who possibly will be happy with no deal...

If no deal is to be avoided, the government needs to be removed ASAP. 

If I'd earned Express/Mail loyalty points I'd be on here championing Johnson and no deal, which oddly enough I'm not.

If there is a no deal the Tories will be kicked to pieces by the elctorate and Corbyn has his best shot at being PM. No deal will be a complete disaster for any party that oversees it. He isn't especially bothered about the EU so yes, it will largely suit him. The rest of the front bench may not be so happy with that, granted.

Unless, of course, Article 50 is revoked. This is entirely within the remit of the UK Parliament, and could be ratified in a matter of days.

"He isn't especially bothered about the EU" - that has to be the most vacuous statement I've read on P&B, let alone the Politics Forum. And fúck me, the bar's pretty high on that one.

1 hour ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Unless, of course, Article 50 is revoked. This is entirely within the remit of the UK Parliament, and could be ratified in a matter of days.

"He isn't especially bothered about the EU" - that has to be the most vacuous statement I've read on P&B, let alone the Politics Forum. And fúck me, the bar's pretty high on that one.

And will Labour be whipping for a revocation of Article 50 if the opportunity arises? You know, the option that Jeremy Corbyn abstained on during the indicative votes. 

My mistake...I'd forgotten all about Jeremy Corbyn's energetic campaigning for Britain to stay in the EU back in 2016, and his subsequent position since, which has not at all been incoherent. 

10 hours ago, Michael W said:

Well yes. The DUPs support is however a given in a confidence vote unless the Tories really piss them off. They are pro-leave and don't want Corbyn having any shot at being PM. 

Trouble for Johnson is that May had a gang of 12 who would generally vote against her on Brexit favouring a softer Brexit, and Johnson has potentially another few individuals on top of that who were recently punted from the cabinet. At least one individual in that group has said they will vote down the government to prevent no deal. 

It's a matter of time. Trouble is that Corbyn will probably bring the vote far too late and we'll crash out by default. 

Johnson's cull of remainers in the cabinet has just stored up potential problems on the back benches . Putting Brexiters on the Government payroll that would have voted for him on brexit anyway just reduces his majority on these issues.

7 hours ago, Michael W said:

They will vote against the government in a confidence vote. 

Kate Hoey might not.  Which may be enough to see the Tories survive. She wont be seeking reselection which makes her rather dangerous for both labour and remain. 

There is no chance Remainer Tories will vote down the government. They would be voting themselves out of a seat as they would lose the whip ahead of an election.

You would have a mental situation where some seats might have a independent former Tory MP, a Tory candidate fighting for Boris's manifesto and the Brexit Party all competing for the same votes. It's never happening.

They will bite their tongues, regroup and try for a majority in an election in early 2020.

Edited by Detournement

16 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:

Not a single Tory will rebel. They are all absolute fucking charlatans utterly bereft of principle or backbone.

I wouldn’t be so sure.  Dominic Grieve has come under huge amounts of pressure from his local party members, including a VONC if I recall, and hasn’t changed his stance at all.

On 28/07/2019 at 01:32, The OP said:

Tony Benn, Enoch Powell, Mo Mowlam, Oswald Mosley and Mhairi Black aye?

Aye. And ALL the rest of them.

"Wanting to be a politician should automatically bar you from being one"

25 minutes ago, Jute said:

Times this morning claiming Boris would ignore any vote of no confidence to push through Brexit.

I they had some tory lord and lawyer saying he could do it due to the fixed parliament law, also said he could call an election end of September which will require parliament to shut down which could lead to default no deal as there won't be any opportunity to stop it.

32 minutes ago, dirty dingus said:

I they had some tory lord and lawyer saying he could do it due to the fixed parliament law, also said he could call an election end of September which will require parliament to shut down which could lead to default no deal as there won't be any opportunity to stop it.

The bit about shutting parliament down and delivering No Deal as a result can only be bluster. It's all part of a concerted effort to re-position No Deal in the minds of the population. Everything coming out just now is aimed at communicating No Deal as necessary, unavoidable and palatable. It will work across some sectors of the population. 

20 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

The Speaker might have something to say about that.

I would think that given Bercow's propensity in favouring remain it's more than possible, and given he has already overstayed the normal tenure, Boris will have him guillotined.

I also do not think that there will be a vote of no confidence by the opposition as it is more likely we will soon see a general election.

To that end the SNP are actively gearing up now for a GE.

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/08/2019 at 10:41, SandyCromarty said:

I would think that given Bercow's propensity in favouring remain it's more than possible, and given he has already overstayed the normal tenure, Boris will have him guillotined.

I also do not think that there will be a vote of no confidence by the opposition as it is more likely we will soon see a general election.

To that end the SNP are actively gearing up now for a GE.

Bercow has a propensity for favouring the correct application of Parliamentary procedure.

23 hours ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Bercow has a propensity for favouring the correct application of Parliamentary procedure.

Westminster parliamentary procedure is wholly based on precedent, I doubt there is a precedent relating to the direction Boris and Co has in mind to push for a no deal at all costs.