The official Boris pm cluster-fuck thread

pandarilla

18 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

One of their better efforts.

Whenever in a newsagent, or supermarket, I always made a point of clocking the Eye's front cover - if it made me laugh I bought it. It has definitely gone downhill over the past few years. That pompous little git Hyslop is so far to the right now, it's really time he stood down.

41 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Whenever in a newsagent, or supermarket, I always made a point of clocking the Eye's front cover - if it made me laugh I bought it. It has definitely gone downhill over the past few years. That pompous little git Hyslop is so far to the right now, it's really time he stood down.

Disagree entirely.Best £2 I spend every fortnight. (Usually less actually as I don't always manage to get it.)

I disagree, and I think that like a lot of people you perhaps consider the Eye to be a purely humourous publication. Of course it is just that, but the very dense, small- print business articles at the back are worth the cover price alone.

In a age when the UK print media resides under the jackboots of right wing proprietors, Private Eye shines a light on things that they, the Government, big business, the Monarchy and the criminal classes would prefer to be hidden from public view.

David Steel is merely the latest in a long line of disreputable people who now have cause to ponder. More power to it.

48 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I disagree, and I think that like a lot of people you perhaps consider the Eye to be a purely humourous publication. Of course it is just that, but the very dense, small- print business articles at the back are worth the cover price alone.

In a age when the UK print media resides under the jackboots of right wing proprietors, Private Eye shines a light on things that they, the Government, big business, the Monarchy and the criminal classes would prefer to be hidden from public view.

David Steel is merely the latest in a long line of disreputable people who now have cause to ponder. More power to it.

Certainly wouldn't dispute that - and who will ever forget their battles with Robert Maxwell, which unbelievably they lost!

I will admit all the same, whenever I pick up a copy, I do tend to home in Mediaballs, Dumb Britain, Glenda Slag and so on....... in fact I challenge anyone on here to read through some of this stuff without laughing out loud.

David Coleman

"He is one of the great unknown champions because very little is known about him."

"If that had gone in, it would have been a goal."

"We estimate, and this isn't an estimation, that Greta Waltz is 80 seconds behind."

"He is accelerating all the time. The last lap was run in 64 seconds and the one before in 62."

"And the line-up for the final of the women's 400 metres hurdles includes three Russians, two East Germans, a Pole, a Swede and a Frenchman."

"The front wheel crosses the finish line, closely followed by the back wheel."

"The Republic of China: back in the Olympic Games for the first time."

"That's the fastest time ever run, but it's not as fast as the world record."

"Forest have now lost six matches without winning."

"There is a fine line between serendipity and stalking."

"This evening is a very different evening from the morning we had this morning."

"He's seven seconds ahead and that's a good question."

"I think there is no doubt, she'll probably qualify for the final."

Some of his imitators

"Without being too harsh on David, he cost us the match." - Ian Wright

"They didn't change positions, they just moved the players around." - Terry Venables

"Michael Owen to Newcastle is the biggest transfer of the season so far - and it will be until there's a bigger one." - Jim White

"I can learn as much from Darius Vassell as he can from me - but he can learn more" - Andrew Cole

"I'd like to have seen Tony Morley left on as a down-and-out winger." - Jimmy Armfield

"I spent four indifferent years at Goodison, but they were great years."

2 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

the very dense, small- print business articles at the back are worth the cover price alone.

Agreed, and sometimes the correspondent stories from countries that nobody else covers, local government bits etc. The main media, political gossip and spoof pages I find a bit dull. Great for a short hospital visit or train journey.