The official Boris pm cluster-fuck thread

pandarilla

There’s a few issues to overcome with the Haddington rail line. Unless I’m mistaken you need to demolish and rebuild a section of the A1 as the bridge section over the old line isn’t suitable, mind you this was done on the Edinburgh City Bypass for the Borders Railway. You then have the issue of capacity at Waverley and on the East Coast line itself, would you take trains away from North Berwick, Dunbar etc.
You are correct about the bridge section. Daft that they never kept it under consideration in hindsight. Not something that can't be worked around though. I still see that video on my social media feed, showing off the tunnel they inserted under a Dutch motorway that they installed over a weekend and wonder why we are not capable of something similar.

On the Waverley traffic, they should be looking to expand it anyway. At the rate Edinburgh and it's suburbs are increasing, it will be as big as Glasgow in 20 years time, yet there is little to no planning on infrastructure to handle it aside from the trams. Just means that everyone's commute, car, bus or train, is going to get worse unless the address it ASAP.

1 hour ago, the jambo-rocker said:

I still see that video on my social media feed, showing off the tunnel they inserted under a Dutch motorway that they installed over a weekend

Nae messin..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btOE0rcKDC0

Edited by welshbairn

Dom has one of his vaunted weirdos in No.10

According to the Mail on Sunday, Mr Sabisky also posted to the website run by Mr Cummings, saying existing vaccination laws could pave the way for mandatory birth control.

"One way to get around problems of unplanned pregnances creating a permanent underclass would be to legally enforce universal uptake of long-term contraception at the onset of puberty," he wrote.

"Vaccination laws give it a predecent, I would argue."

And in a series of now-deleted tweets seen by the paper, the researcher also described female Labour MPs Yvette Cooper, Angela Rayner and Rebecca Long-Bailey as "dim", while writing in another that: "I am always straight up in saying that women's sport is more comparable to the Paralympics than it is to men's."

Cummings might as well start hiring some of the right wing thickos off here.

On 15/02/2020 at 09:54, Pet Jeden said:

They'd get it done all right. But there would be no independent trade union rights. Muslim workers would be kept in a prison camp. Landowners would be chucked a tenner for their compulsorily purchased land. Consultation would  amount to being told to STFU. And any critics of the project would have an unfortunate tendency to disappear (after Huawei did their patriotic duty)

This idea is insane. The UK's inability to build anything big in less than 50 years is frustrating, but some things are more important than efficiency and progress.

Lol there are just about zero trade union rights here and on a big project like HS2 it will be mainly faux self employed contractors.

The reason a project like Crossrail (and the Edinburgh trams) is late and overbudget is because that is in the interest of everyone who works on it to make it that way so they keep on getting paid for easy work for longer. Our productivity is flat lining because the primary goal isn't productivity but expansion of managerial classes.

20 minutes ago, The OP said:

It’s quite depressing how unsurprising I find the government hiring an aide who advocates eugenics.

I don't think it's actually eugenics because he seems to think that you can give every single girl contraceptives from the onset of puberty up to an age where he thinks pregnancy is ok.

He is just a moron.

As official government policy, killing the poor is unlikely to win many elections in the short term, but making sure they're never born in the first place? I can see that, although it'll take a lot of work.

The mind boggles how it would be "legally enforced", though. Strapping folk down to be sterilised has never been a great look for any government, but who knows what the future may bring.

1 minute ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

As official government policy, killing the poor is unlikely to win many elections in the short term, but making sure they're never born in the first place? I can see that, although it'll take a lot of work.

The mind boggles how it would be "legally enforced", though. Strapping folk down to be sterilised has never been a great look for any government, but who knows what the future may bring.

"Get Birth Control Done"

4 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Maybe it's why Johnson keeps trying to mimic Churchill, a big eugenics fan.

Just now, MixuFixit said:

Tories have won three elections while killing the poor tbh

Careful, you'll wake the beast.

Although, with all this talk of "poverty", it may be too late.

56 minutes ago, Detournement said:

I don't think it's actually eugenics because he seems to think that you can give every single girl contraceptives from the onset of puberty up to an age where he thinks pregnancy is ok.

He is just a moron.

There was the whole “eradicating the underclass” subtext.

Guest Bob Mahelp
3 hours ago, doulikefish said:

Fraser Nelson is in favour of neutering the poor.Its a tory thing

The Guardian has this Tory adviser nutcase as the main story. I searched through some right-wing publications and there's nary a mention of this story.

The Telegraph has it hidden down amongst the drivel, under the Harry and Megan gossip. 

Some of the comments on the story are frightening though....the Tory core support apparently agrees whole-heartedly with this guy's comments. 

19 hours ago, Detournement said:

Lol there are just about zero trade union rights here and on a big project like HS2 it will be mainly faux self employed contractors.

The reason a project like Crossrail (and the Edinburgh trams) is late and overbudget is because that is in the interest of everyone who works on it to make it that way so they keep on getting paid for easy work for longer. Our productivity is flat lining because the primary goal isn't productivity but expansion of managerial classes.

100% this.

Nothing ever changes, Gov and Council contracts are just a licence to print money and benefits everyone who's in on it.

Phantom overtime, little "perks" being handed out here and there, easy working environment with key stakeholders completely complicit in the entire process and it's a win win for everyone, except the tax payer of course...........

Suspect Boris and his mates will be coming under a lot of pressure from the meeja to compensate the thousands who have suffered horrendous damage to their homes thanks to Storm Dennis.  Not sure if this is something they will have budgeted for, or even something they will want to contribute to.

They made all kinds of compensatory noises during the November floods, which was of course, just prior to the December GE. Did all these promises made last time help any, or all those affected? What are they going to offer this time?

2 hours ago, WATTOO said:

100% this.

Nothing ever changes, Gov and Council contracts are just a licence to print money and benefits everyone who's in on it.

Phantom overtime, little "perks" being handed out here and there, easy working environment with key stakeholders completely complicit in the entire process and it's a win win for everyone, except the tax payer of course...........

Very true. 

John Harris has an article in the Guardian today concerning mental health care in England. It includes the accusation that private mental health providers set out to increase problematic behaviour in patients so their expensive stay in the private hospital is lucratively extended. Absolutely tragic.